Big 10 Finish Predictions

IUFLA

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I've heard this at least 3 times in the last 5-6 years. We'll see. 

On paper, it’s hard to argue against the roster this year. The 2019 team wasn’t close to his most talented yet went the furthest of any of his teams. Will be an interesting season. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

On paper, it’s hard to argue against the roster this year. The 2019 team wasn’t close to his most talented yet went the furthest of any of his teams. Will be an interesting season. 

Because Edwards, after being on/off all year, finally put it all together and just went off in the tournament.  

You're likely to go far when you've got a player consistently draining threes just after stepping across the half court line.

Just now, rogue3542 said:

Because Edwards, after being on/off all year, finally put it all together and just went off in the tournament.  

You're likely to go far when you've got a player consistently draining threes just after stepping across the half court line.

You’re not wrong I just meant that anything can happen in the tournament. I mean Cline had some big moments too. We don’t get to the Elite 8 without him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

Cline having the game of his life helped against Tennessee. But a player getting hot gave UConn their title in 2011

7 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

How about we turn away from Turdue....

If I said, I think many of you are sleeping on MSU and they'll be better due to addition by subtraction.  You would say??

I'd say the Christie kid would have to be very, very, very, good. 

Gabe Brown, Marcus Bingham, Malik Hall, and AJ Hoggard are who they are... underachievers for top 100 kids...and Joey Hauser was no where near as good as Xavier Tillman...

As far as addition by subtraction, I'll agree on Rocket Watts and the Loyer kid, but Joshua Langford and Aaron Henry were players...

Plus, I think Izzo is on the downslope of his career...

I don't know...maybe the chemistry will be better, but I don't see them challenging for the top spot...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

From Borzello:

"This season, I think Indiana might be flying under the radar a little bit. In fact, the Hoosiers were my deep sleeper to be this year's Michigan or Alabama."

😉 

Edit: when I posted this, spell check had turned "Borzello" into "bordello" to which I'm sure @5fouls would have replied " why do you think we care where you're posting from? "

😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It's not what our fans want to hear, but I think that's about right. I'd like to see an IU team overachieve for a change and finish 4th or 5th. We have some nice pieces, but not enough to contend for the Big Ten title. Woodson will need at least one more recruiting class to get us there. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's not what our fans want to hear, but I think that's about right. I'd like to see an IU team overachieve for a change and finish 4th or 5th. We have some nice pieces, but not enough to contend for the Big Ten title. Woodson will need at least one more recruiting class to get us there. 

You can usually throw a blanket over 5th-10th.  They are that close.  Like just a 2 win difference.  So 7th is a pretty safe guess.    

Go Hoosiers!!!

On 11/3/2021 at 9:16 AM, IUFLA said:

No...I think they underestimate the loss of Ayo, and overestimate how good Curbelo will be...

The kid needs to develop an outside shot...and he can turn it over a lot...

Cockburn will get his, but unless the Illini prove early that Williams is as good an outside shooter as he was last year with a higher volume of shots, and someone else beside Trent Frazier steps up to 35%+, he'll be double and triple teamed pretty much every time he touches it...

Good thing Jacob Grandison already did that, 41% last season. And we added Alfonso Plummer, career 40+% 3 point shooter. And then there's also Austin Hutcherson. And Coleman Hawkins. And Luke Goode has ... Looked Good so far (sorry couldn't resist).

Illinois was a very good 3 point shooting team last season, they just didn't take many because they had 3 guys who excelled at getting easy 2 pointers. This year I expect the 3 point shot volume to be a lot higher. Big key will be having Kofi figure out how to get the ball to some of them often enough. 😬

IMO you've got Ohio St (will miss Washington and Walker), Indiana (maybe) and NW (experienced, but lacks talent) too high, Nebraska too low.

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Good thing Jacob Grandison already did that, 41% last season. And we added Alfonso Plummer, career 40+% 3 point shooter. And then there's also Austin Hutcherson. And Coleman Hawkins. And Luke Goode has ... Looked Good so far (sorry couldn't resist).

Illinois was a very good 3 point shooting team last season, they just didn't take many because they had 3 guys who excelled at getting easy 2 pointers. This year I expect the 3 point shot volume to be a lot higher. Big key will be having Kofi figure out how to get the ball to some of them often enough. 😬

IMO you've got Ohio St (will miss Washington and Walker), Indiana (maybe) and NW (experienced, but lacks talent) too high, Nebraska too low.

Grandison? The guy who made 17 total 3s  (with a high of 2 made in a game) last year, while benefitting from teams worrying about Dosunmu and Cockburn? Hawkins? Mr 3-13 from 3 land last year? Plummer shot a good percentage, but I'll wait to see how he does in the Big 10.

Yes, you shot a decent percentage but you were last in the conference in 3 pointers attempted. 

As for Ohio State, they had a couple of nice guard pickups in Cedric Russell (17 ppg for Louisiana last year) and Jamari Wheeler who was All B1G defensive team guard for Penn State. And I think Meechie Johnson will blossom this year. They're experienced and deep... 

Put in your picks, hoss...don't cost anything...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

No one cares

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

A little uncalled for. He is discussing Big Ten teams in a thread about Big Ten teams. 

Come on.

You don’t ever respond to one of my posts unless its to denigrate… whatever.

He’s from another fan base and frankly his opinion is moot here.

Welcome who you want. Doesn’t mean everyone else has to have the same open arms

• Like 1

I don't think people are paying enough attention to the schedule differences, which will have an impact on how teams end up.  Here are the matchups, with teams sorted according to Barttorvik (and 'tiers' by me, from that ranking).

image.thumb.png.37fabef5bf9283dbae204f49724b181e.png

Edited by andy_puiu
Tried to get rid of whitespace, but couldn't !?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, andy_puiu said:

I don't think people are paying enough attention to the schedule differences, which will have an impact on how teams end up.  Here are the matchups, with teams sorted according to Barttorvik (and 'tiers' by me, from that ranking).

Care to breakdown who you think has the easiest path?

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You don’t ever respond to one of my posts unless its to denigrate… whatever.

He’s from another fan base and frankly his opinion is moot here.

Welcome who you want. Doesn’t mean everyone else has to have the same open arms

I hardly think I denigrated you. If you feel asking members to show a little decorum to visitors  is denigrating, than that's a you problem. 

Mile, CC and every patriarch of this site made welcoming respectful outsiders, especially when they are not hijacking a topic, feel welcome and encouraged. 

If that really upsets you, just ignore it and move on. I am not trying to make this an issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, andy_puiu said:

50 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would say Ohio st looks like the easiest path.  

I kinda went through the schedules a page or so back. I actually went game by game with the whole B1G schedule before the first post in this thread. 

And you're right, schedules are going to make a difference. Games against the bottom 3 or 4 on the road and the upper tier at home are particularly important. You have to.beat the bottom dwellers at their place, and hold serve against the contenders at home...

And to @NotIThatLives point, that's one of the reasons why I went with OSU to win the conference.. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I hardly think I denigrated you. If you feel asking members to show a little decorum to visitors  is denigrating, than that's a you problem. 

Mile, CC and every patriarch of this site made welcoming respectful outsiders, especially when they are not hijacking a topic, feel welcome and encouraged. 

If that really upsets you, just ignore it and move on. I am not trying to make this an issue.

Then don’t. 

I don’t need your condescending response. 

Could care less what Mile did. CC was all class but not Mile.

I really don’t care what guys from other fa bases have to say. They usually just want to pile on IU.

if you want to take the “everyone is welcome “ stance, good for you. Not what I want from this board

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Then don’t. 

I don’t need your condescending response. 

Could care less what Mile did. CC was all class but not Mile.

I really don’t care what guys from other fa bases have to say. They usually just want to pile on IU.

if you want to take the “everyone is welcome “ stance, good for you. Not what I want from this board

You mean couldn't care less

• Like 1