Big 10 Finish Predictions

IUFLA

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Yes, and apparently your reading comprehension is .... not good.

I miss Ayo a lot but having fun watching him get off to a great start with the Bulls. I know we'll wish we had him at the end of close game for sure.

Reading comprehension is just fine, Hoss...you made the stupid statement...own it...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

LOL.

I compared their 3 point shooting abilities in the context of preventing double/triple teams on Kofi, which was your initial terrible take on Illinois.

🤣

No, you broke out the pom-poms over a guy that had made all of 17 3 pointers last year...I gave you Plummer, but you continue to prattle on about players who are nowhere near Dosunmu's caliber and think they'll pick up that slack...

I watched quite a few Whinin' Illini games last year, and Ayo carried Illinois in more than a few of them...until someone steps up to that level, I'm of the opinion you'll struggle against good competition...

I was waiting for you to cite the Jackson State game as "proof" of Illinois 3 point prowess (and yes, I watched the game)...but it appears even you aren't that delusional...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:43 AM, dgambill said:

Wow....this thread....good thing pre-season predictions are about as useless as preseason rankings....thankfully the season starts tomorrow so this tension filled thread can be laid to rest lol.

Well the season started last night. And after IU's lachluster performance, I don't know how the Hoosiers will finish.....

• Like 1

Here's some more analysis/comparison of the schedule differences.  I broke this into pseudo quadrants (not the same as NCAA).

Of the top 7 teams,

* OSU has the easiest path  ( fewest Quad 1+2 games, the most Q4 games, tied for most Q3 games)

* Purdue has the second easiest path (tied for fewest Q1, second fewest Q1+Q2, second most Q3+Q4)

* Maryland has the hardest path (most Q1, tied for least Q3+Q4)

Predictions?  I think schedule matters a lot. It is not a level playing field. I think Purdue is better than OSU, and will overcome the schedule advantage OSU has to win the title (with Illinois right on their heels). As usual, a very small number of head-to-head contests between the top teams can be the difference maker regardless of schedule. 

image.png.94c45b5131bc43dab8664a1d40370e03.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, IUFLA said:

No, you broke out the pom-poms over a guy that had made all of 17 3 pointers last year...I gave you Plummer, but you continue to prattle on about players who are nowhere near Dosunmu's caliber and think they'll pick up that slack...

I watched quite a few Whinin' Illini games last year, and Ayo carried Illinois in more than a few of them...until someone steps up to that level, I'm of the opinion you'll struggle against good competition...

I was waiting for you to cite the Jackson State game as "proof" of Illinois 3 point prowess (and yes, I watched the game)...but it appears even you aren't that delusional...

I'm getting a little embarrassed for you here. My posts are still there so you can try reading again but apparently nuanced discussion is a little too tough for you.

Can't take anything from the JSU game with 3 definite and 1 potential starters out. I'd be amazed if you watched the entire thing as it was a pretty brutal slog with Da'Monte Williams and Coleman Hawkins trying to play PG. Thank goodness JSU is really bad.

Nice try building a straw man there....

27 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I'm getting a little embarrassed for you here. My posts are still there so you can try reading again but apparently nuanced discussion is a little too tough for you.

Can't take anything from the JSU game with 3 definite and 1 potential starters out. I'd be amazed if you watched the entire thing as it was a pretty brutal slog with Da'Monte Williams and Coleman Hawkins trying to play PG. Thank goodness JSU is really bad.

Nice try building a straw man there....

Hey, you're the one who said "But his per 40 numbers were better than Ayo's when it comes to 3 pointers." like that meant something. It doesn't. As I showed you, using " per 40 numbers" Nathan Childriss out rebounded Trayce Jackson Davis and Race Thompson. 

You made that comparison, which was a stupid one...own it...

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As an aside to my disagreement with the Champaign village idiot, Maryland looks nowhere near the #21 team in the country, trailing George Washington 30-29 at the half...

Seems to be a trend early season.  Very few teams are separating from even mediocre competition.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 7:08 PM, IUFLA said:

Hey, you're the one who said "But his per 40 numbers were better than Ayo's when it comes to 3 pointers." like that meant something. It doesn't. As I showed you, using " per 40 numbers" Nathan Childriss out rebounded Trayce Jackson Davis and Race Thompson. 

You made that comparison, which was a stupid one...own it...

Stupid is drawing any conclusions numbers from a kid who played a total of 5 minutes in an entire season of basketball.

Grandison played 458 minutes and started 16 games so the data there is a little more meaningful.

But I'm the "idiot", eh?

Right.

Edited by BruceDouglas

On 11/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, BruceDouglas said:

Stupid is drawing any conclusions numbers from a kid who played a total of 5 minutes in an entire season of basketball.

Grandison played 458 minutes and started 16 games so the data there is a little more meaningful.

But I'm the "idiot", eh?

Right.

<sigh>

I wasn't going to revisit this because I think you're here for one reason...to seek some weird form of validation from fans of the most historic and successful program in Big 10 history, and one of the historic bluebloods of the sport...The "little brother syndrome" in all of its glory...It'd be like one of us going to an Ohio State or Michigan football board after last year and seeking their approval as "equals."

Samuel Clemens  once said "facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable." 

I've been around a while...Dealt with lawyers and politicians...and when I hear them say "nuanced" I know 2 things...They're implicitly waving the white flag, and their argument is going to change...

My initial premise...

No...I think they underestimate the loss of Ayo, and overestimate how good Curbelo will be...

The kid needs to develop an outside shot...and he can turn it over a lot...

Cockburn will get his, but unless the Illini prove early that Williams is as good an outside shooter as he was last year with a higher volume of shots, and someone else beside Trent Frazier steps up to 35%+, he'll be double and triple teamed pretty much every time he touches it...

To which you responded...

Good thing Jacob Grandison already did that, 41% last season. And we added Alfonso Plummer, career 40+% 3 point shooter. And then there's also Austin Hutcherson. And Coleman Hawkins. And Luke Goode has ... Looked Good so far (sorry couldn't resist).

Citing one kid (Grandison) who only took a grand total of 41 3 pointers for the season and made a whopping 17...THEN doubling down  by citing one kid (Hawkins) that took 13 3 pointers last year, making 3 (23%), and 2 kids who had never been on the floor in a D1 college basketball game(Goode and Hutcherson) as proof that replacing Ayo's production was all but a done deal...Seriously...you don't see the issue with that?...I gave you Plummer (although I did say I want to see him do it in the B1G before we coronate him as the next Ray Allen) but apparently that wasn't enough "validation" for you... 

My comment about Nathan Childress was to show you how idiotic it was to compare Ayo and Grandison as players in a "per 40" (pliable) statistic...

Ayo was a 3 level scorer who carried the Whini' Illini in more than a few games last year...The first IU game being the starkest example...No kid you currently have is even close to him in that respect...And it all starts with 3 point shooting...If a kid is a threat, then we have to account for him...If we get up on him, he has to be able to have a mid game or dribble drive to the basket...If you think you have anyone CLOSE to Ayo Dosunmu on your roster I'd advise you to take that debate to the Illinois Loyalty board where there are some that are probably deluded as you are...

I've never went to a rivals forum and signed up to enter the conversation...Don't feel the need...I love IU basketball and I don't feel the need to force my biases toward the program I root for on another fan base...

Of course, IU is no ones "little brother" either...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

<sigh>

I wasn't going to revisit this because I think you're here for one reason...to seek some weird form of validation from fans of the most historic and successful program in Big 10 history, and one of the historic bluebloods of the sport...The "little brother syndrome" in all of its glory...It'd be like one of us going to an Ohio State or Michigan board after last year and seeking their approval as "equals."

Samuel Clemens  once said "facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable." 

I've been around a while...Dealt with lawyers and politicians...and when I hear them say "nuanced" I know 2 things...They're implicitly waving the white flag, and their argument is going to change...

My initial premise...

No...I think they underestimate the loss of Ayo, and overestimate how good Curbelo will be...

Cockburn will get his, but unless the Illini prove early that Williams is as good an outside shooter as he was last year with a higher volume of shots, and someone else beside Trent Frazier steps up to 35%+, he'll be double and triple teamed pretty much every time he touches it...

Good thing Jacob Grandison already did that, 41% last season. And we added Alfonso Plummer, career 40+% 3 point shooter. And then there's also Austin Hutcherson. And Coleman Hawkins. And Luke Goode has ... Looked Good so far (sorry couldn't resist).

Citing one kid (Grandison) who only took a grand total of 41 3 pointers for the season and made a whopping 17...THEN doubling down  by citing one kid (Hawkins) that took 13 3 pointers last year, making 3 (23%), and 2 kids who had never been on the floor in a D1 college basketball game(Goode and Hutcherson) as proof that replacing Ayo's production was all but a done deal...Seriously...you don't see the issue with that?...I gave you Plummer (although I did say I want to see him do it in the B1G before we coronate him as the next Ray Allen) but apparently that wasn't enough "validation" for you... 

My comment about Nathan Childress was to show you how idiotic it was to compare Ayo and Grandison as players in a "per 40" (pliable) statistic...

Ayo was a 3 level scorer who carried the Whini' Illini in more than a few games last year...The first IU game being the starkest example...No kid you currently have is even close to him in that respect...And it all starts with 3 point shooting...If a kid is a threat, then we have to account for him...If we get up on him, he has to be able to have a mid game or dribble drive to the basket...If you think you have anyone CLOSE to Ayo Dosunmu on your roster I'd advise you to take that debate to the Illinois Loyalty board where there are some that are probably deluded as you are...

I've never went to a rivals forum and signed up to enter the conversation...Don't feel the need...I love IU basketball and I don't feel the need to force my biases toward the program I root for on another fan base...

Wish I could like this 1000 times 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 11:28 AM, IUFLA said:

<sigh>

I wasn't going to revisit this because I think you're here for one reason...to seek some weird form of validation from fans of the most historic and successful program in Big 10 history, and one of the historic bluebloods of the sport...The "little brother syndrome" in all of its glory...It'd be like one of us going to an Ohio State or Michigan football board after last year and seeking their approval as "equals."

My initial premise...

LOL, IU is no longer a "blue blood" and hasn't been since Knight got axed decades ago. Sorry, just the facts. The Hoosiers are just another Big Ten team now.

You're missing the forest for the trees. The point you seemed to want to make was about Illinois needing 3 point shooters to prevent teams from doubling Kofi.

OK, that's fine. And I agree. Though a bigger concern is probably his ability/willingness to pass when he is doubled.

My response was simply that the had that shooting last year (35th in the nation). They have a number of those guys back and have added other guys as well. And a kid like Frazier (as we saw last night) is going to be more aggressive in hunting those 3s instead of deferring to a guy like Ayo. Sure, they still need to prove it but I don't see it as a major concern.

And the whole mess with Grandison was simply pointing out that while Ayo had a few good % from 3, it was not his primary means to score, he pretty much only took wide open set shot type attempts. He didn't shoot them off the bounce much (unless it was to win a game) and as a % of shot attempts, he was only 6th on the team.

You tried to build a strawman claiming ERMEGERD!!! HE THINKS GRANDY IS AYO!111!!ELEVEN!11

Silly.

Of course Ayo is missed, he's one of the all time greats at UI. But the 3 point shooting is pretty far down on the list of why.

And no, his game doesn't "start with 3 point shooting" because again he's not looking there first. It "starts" with his incredible ability to get to the hoop and finish. And last season he added a deadly mid range game. The 3 point shot is there only because defenders knew they couldn't guard too close on the perimeter or he'd blow by them.

Happy to drop this as we probably just won't agree here.

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

LOL, IU is no longer a "blue blood" and hasn't been since Knight got axed decades ago. Sorry, just the facts. The Hoosiers are just another Big Ten team now.

You're missing the forest for the trees. The point you seemed to want to make was about Illinois needing 3 point shooters to prevent teams from doubling Kofi.

OK, that's fine. And I agree. Though a bigger concern is probably his ability/willingness to pass when he is doubled.

My response was simply that the had that shooting last year (35th in the nation). They have a number of those guys back and have added other guys as well. And a kid like Frazier (as we saw last night) is going to be more aggressive in hunting those 3s instead of deferring to a guy like Ayo. Sure, they still need to prove it but I don't see it as a major concern.

And the whole mess with Grandison was simply pointing out that while Ayo had a few good % from 3, it was not his primary means to score, he pretty much only took wide open set shot type attempts. He didn't shoot them off the bounce much (unless it was to win a game) and as a % of shot attempts, he was only 6th on the team.

You tried to build a strawman claiming ERMEGERD!!! HE THINKS GRANDY IS AYO!111!!ELEVEN!11

Silly.

Of course Ayo is missed, he's one of the all time greats at UI. But the 3 point shooting is pretty far down on the list of why.

And no, his game doesn't "start with 3 point shooting" because again he's not looking there first. It "starts" with his incredible ability to get to the hoop and finish. And last season he added a deadly mid range game. The 3 point shot is there only because defenders knew they couldn't guard too close on the perimeter or he'd blow by them.

The only teams who have more B1G season titles than us in the last 10 years is UM and MSU. The last 10 years is arguably our worst decade of basketball in terms of accomplishments and we still are tied for 3rd over that period with Purdue,  and Wisconsin for titles. But sure we’re just another B1G team now.

Edited by southsidehoosier
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Silly.

That first paragraph puts you in the "You've worn out your welcome here club".   

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 6

I kinda thought that Andre The Giant Turnover Machine's play from last night was the most mindless thing I would see this year...Your post above disproved that theory...

This was what I posted...

On 11/14/2021 at 10:28 AM, IUFLA said:

the most historic and successful program in Big 10 history, and one of the historic bluebloods of the sport

There's no disputing either of this statements...You notice I used the word "historic." History isn't a short time capsule like oh, 1989, when you had the second best team in the Big 10 (guess who was first?) and screwed it up, losing to a team that finished 3rd in the conference and that you'd beaten handily TWICE in the regular season, or 2005 when you ran into another of the historical bluebloods in the final and folded you tent... 

You misguided souls who root for a rinky-dink program in a rinky-dink town might click the heels on you ruby red slippers and wish they weren't true, But they are...If you don't think so, then you need to provide some kind of argument for another program (certainly not Illinois) being "the most historic and successful program in Big 10 history."

Gene Bartow knew Illinois was a dead end job...So did Bill Self and Lon Kruger. Illinois is a stepping stone to the really good jobs in college basketball or the desperate teams in the NBA. 

And no, his game doesn't "start with 3 point shooting" because again he's not looking there first. It "starts" with his incredible ability to get to the hoop and finish.

If he had, say, oh, Curbelo's stellar shooting skills, defenders would have sagged off of him so much they'd have been in Kofi's shirt. You had to be up on him, or he'd take the 3 and 40% of the time hit it..."3 level scorer" insinuates he has long range skills, and mid range game, and can effectively dribble drive to the basket, does it not?"  And unless they're playing backward, the the 3 point shot is indeed the basis of how the defense plays him. 

Last night was just a glimpse at what I said in my answer to @dbmhoosier...

Of course there was no Kofi, but Curbelo wanted to be Ayo...And he's not...Not even close to the player Ayo was...And he never will be...He's a flashy kid that makes a lot of really poor decisions and plays...

Without Frazier's shooting the Illini were 3 of 14 from 3...Plummer's first attempt, wide open in the right corner, hit the side of the backboard...Grandison did hit 2-4 but I'll be convinced when he does it against better competition...Marquette is not a good team...

Oh, and I noticed you didn't touch the "why you're here" quote...But it's ok...we already know...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

The only teams who have more B1G season titles than us in the last 10 years is UM and MSU. The last 10 years is arguably our worst decade of basketball in terms of accomplishments and we still are tied for 3rd over that period with Purdue,  and Wisconsin for titles. But sure we’re just another B1G team now.

Tied for 3rd in the Big Ten doesn't exactly scream "blue blood" though? I figured your standards would be higher than that.

I realize this thread is about the 2021 basketball season, but since we are comparing athletic program status, I'll add the following.

Illinois has won 18 total NCAA championships.  3 of those have been won since 1958.

Indiana has won 24 total NCAA championships.  17 of those have bee won since 1958.

Carry on.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I realize this thread is about the 2021 basketball season, but since we are comparing athletic program status, I'll add the following.

Illinois has won 18 total NCAA championships.  3 of those have been won since 1958.

Indiana has won 24 total NCAA championships.  17 of those have bee won since 1958.

Carry on.

I was going to put the meme from Blazing Saddlers excuse me while I whip this out but was concerned it might be erroneously misconstrued as something other than humor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Carry on.

Now there ya go...At least he could go over and snicker at Purdue's 4...

• Like 1