Big 10 Finish Predictions

IUFLA

57 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Correct, you already know:

OK, I believe differently, but whatever floats your boat...

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If you don't think so, then you need to provide some kind of argument for another program (certainly not Illinois) being "the most historic and successful program in Big 10 history."

@BruceDouglas I'd still like to see you make this argument for another Big 10 school beside IU...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

@BruceDouglas I'd still like to see you make this argument for another Big 10 school beside IU...

Funny part about the Illini fans....they truly don't know how fortunate they've been. Kofi has tried to leave twice and Ayo was gone before Covid hit. It actually backfired a bit though. Ayo comes back for a 3rd year...only to barely get drafted in 2nd round and now more high profile recruits from the area are steering clear. It's simple they say. If you can't Ayo to the 1st round by year 3...why would I want to join you? Furthermore...you have the best team in 15+ years and you get handled by Loyola? Lots of boxes checked on why not Illinois.

Wish Coach still posted on here. He can tell you what Chicagoland coaches think of Underwood i.e. player development, etc..

For the sake of conversation I'll also say this because we've seen this rodeo before. When Crean didn't make the F4 in 2013 (Cuse loss) he lost a good majority of coaches/recruits in this state. As a knowledgeable fanbase we know these things because we've witnessed them for last 20 years. 

There's an old line that applies for Illini fans. Some folks are so far behind they actually think their leading the race. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Uh, never said they weren't. Indiana indeed has the best "history", no question. 

My point was it's in the past and fairly irrelevant to college hoops on 2021.

23 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

now more high profile recruits from the area are steering clear. It's simple they say. If you can't Ayo to the 1st round by year 3...why would I want to join you?

Like Morez Johnson?

Tim Anderson is pretty well connected in Chicago, maybe as "Coach" about him?

Edited by BruceDouglas

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

And that's fine I agree. But at some point it goes away, doesn't it? Certainly IU is no longer in the same category as some of the other blue bloods that have continued to be elite over those decades?

"It goes away"?

😂😂😂

When a recruit come to SSAH, they see a wonderful raucous crowd, and those beautiful banners hanging at the end...

When they go to Illinois Farm Animal arena or whatever you call it, you see a bunch of ugly people and Johnny Kerr's jersey in the rafters...

Edited by IUFLA

Like Morez Johnson?

Tim Anderson is pretty well connected in Chicago, maybe as "Coach" about him?

24 commit? Haha...yep I can assure you Coach knows about him and Anderson. Who doesn't?  Crane, Depaul....I have zero issue with having a guy like that on the staff but let's not get this one twisted. Underwood was desperate because he knew he lost the area after Ayo...this one has Jereme Richmond vibe. 

Time will tell. When Mr Johnson suits up in years I guess we'll know. 

On 11/17/2021 at 5:23 PM, IUFLA said:

"It goes away"?

😂😂😂

When a recruit come to SSAH, they see a wonderful raucous crowd, and those beautiful banners hanging at the end...

When they go to Illinois Farm Animal arena or whatever you call it, you see a bunch of ugly people and Johnny Kerr's jersey in the rafters...

Yes, I'm talking about the rest of the world, outside the land of Assembly Hall where the majority of the world is. In that land, those banners have lost much of their value.

"ugly people". eh? You sure seem to stoop pretty low pretty quick when you run out of actual points to make.

Edited by BruceDouglas

12 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Yes, I'm talking about the rest of the world, outside the land of Assembly Hall where the rest of the world exists. In that land, those banners have lost much of their value.

"ugly people". eh? You sure seem to stoop pretty low pretty quick when you run out of actual points to make.

So let me ask you this...

If Illinois won a championship this year, would the press and college basketball fans at large coronate them as "blue bloods?"

If Indiana won the championship this year do you think that term would be used? 

I lived in Illinois twice...once for 7 years (Southwest, down by St Louis), and 12 years in Chicagoland, and Illinois fans are pretty much all alike...Jealous to a fault of IU's history and the name we have in college basketball circles. Always trying to explain why Illinois is on the same plane as IU...I have 2 nephews who are Illinois grads...I've talked them out of their delusion...

You're on here for the same reason as @Stlboiler23...but at least he has a sense of humor about it...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

In that land, those banners have lost much of their value.

Banners don't lose their value. Even when IU is recruiting you get players and parents saying things like, it is IU so of course we pay attention with their history. Has the Illini banners lost their value? Hint... i know this answer.

If IU and Illinois are both in the top ten and having succesful seasons you are going to hear more about the Hoosiers on sports shows and from talking heads then the Illini. Thats just the way it is. 👍

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 5:41 PM, Seeking6 said:

24 commit? Haha...yep I can assure you Coach knows about him and Anderson. Who doesn't?  Crane, Depaul....I have zero issue with having a guy like that on the staff but let's not get this one twisted. Underwood was desperate because he knew he lost the area after Ayo...this one has Jereme Richmond vibe. 

Time will tell. When Mr Johnson suits up in years I guess we'll know. 

Taking pot shots at a high school soph's mental health is a new low for this board.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So let me ask you this...

If Illinois won a championship this year, would the press and college basketball fans at large coronate them as "blue bloods?"

If Indiana won the championship this year do you think that term would be used? 

I lived in Illinois twice...once for 7 years (Southwest, down by St Louis), and 12 years in Chicagoland, and Illinois fans are pretty much all alike...Jealous to a fault of IU's history and the name we have in college basketball circles. Always trying to explain why Illinois is on the same plane as IU...I have 2 nephews who are Illinois grads...I've talked them out of their delusion...

You're on here for the same reason as @Stlboiler23...but at least he has a sense of humor about it...

Huh? Another straw man from you, I made no claims that Illinois would ever be a blue blood. Don't think there's a chance any current program can reach that status that hasn't had it in the past. I guess if Gonzaga wins a bunch of titles over the next ... well I'll probably be dead by then so will never find out.

And yes IU has a chance to regain their status as does UCLA. But IMO the odds are stacked against that happening.

27 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Huh? Another straw man from you, I made no claims that Illinois would ever be a blue blood. Don't think there's a chance any current program can reach that status that hasn't had it in the past. I guess if Gonzaga wins a bunch of titles over the next ... well I'll probably be dead by then so will never find out.

No "strawman" at all...You don't follow an argument very well...It was a comparison of how the 2 programs are currently viewed...

Your statement

Yes, I'm talking about the rest of the world, outside the land of Assembly Hall where the majority of the world is. In that land, those banners have lost much of their value.

When IU starts winning again, whether it be a Big 10 title or making national noise, the press and a lot of people "outside Assembly Hall" will hype our history at every turn...adding to a foundation that's already there and hasn't just "gone away." They'll list off the championships and Final 4s. 

Gus Johnson (and many others) calls Assembly Hall "the Carnegie Hall of college basketball"  "those banners that have lost their value" are one of the many reasons why...

State Farm Arena isn't even "The Study Hall of college basketball."

27 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

And yes IU has a chance to regain their status as does UCLA. But IMO the odds are stacked against that happening.

And there's your "motive" for posting on this site... any little "dig." I suppose Illinois has a greater chance? Oh, that's right...there's no "status" to regain...

IMO the only people who want to ignore history are those who don't have any...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Taking pot shots at a high school soph's mental health is a new low for this board.

You've lost me....again. Where is my pot shot at someone's mental health? You seem to have a very weird way of reading/comprehension, etc... and somehow twisting posts into a pretzel. Wish you good luck. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

and somehow twisting posts into a pretzel. Wish you good luck. 

Yes he does...

The only reason he even started commenting in this thread was because and IU fan (me) on an IU site had the temerity to list IU ahead the Mighty Illini...And, when another IU fan, @dbmhoosier questioned my positioning of the Illini (and sorry dbm...I did have them wrong...put them in 8th under Michigan State) and I explained my reasoning, trots out some players who have some question marks, and 2 who have played a grand total of 30 minutes of college basketball between them! 

He just made a comment in another thread dissing Miller Kopp...But I guarantee if Goode or Hutcherson ever have anywhere near the year Kopp had as a sophomore at Northwestern, they'd be the greatest thing since Lou Henson's hairpiece...

• Haha 2