Hoosier Fan Fest

Does anybody else think the cloak and dagger secrecy surrounding the program since Big 10 media day is meant to whip the faithful into a froth and max out this event?

I've spent all morning reading about exhibition games involving B1G teams fully attended with real game stats...yet all we know about out single scrimmage is 8-23, 11-11, TJD 15 boards, and we won by 11...

Maybe just preseason grouchiness on my part though...Come on Tuesday!

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Does anybody else think the cloak and dagger secrecy surrounding the program since Big 10 media day is meant to whip the faithful into a froth and max out this event?

Maybe just preseason grouchiness on my part though...Come on Tuesday!

Ditto on the grouchiness for me.

But honestly, I think the coaching staff would just as soon NOT have Fanfest at all this year, especially this close to the opener. I'm sure they want to maximize the NIL stuff for the players, but if I were in Woody's seat, I'd just not want it at this time.

Also...don't see the need for the cloak & dagger stuff either, since as of Tuesday there will be film available for all opponents to view anyway. I can't believe that Woody actually thinks Eastern Mich will beat us. They are the only ones precluded from seeing any film. Only thing I can think of is that Woody doesn't want a repeat of the ISU debacle for the opener.

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

Ditto on the grouchiness for me.

But honestly, I think the coaching staff would just as soon NOT have Fanfest at all this year, especially this close to the opener. I'm sure they want to maximize the NIL stuff for the players, but if I were in Woody's seat, I'd just not want it at this time.

Also...don't see the need for the cloak & dagger stuff either, since as of Tuesday there will be film available for all opponents to view anyway. I can't believe that Woody actually thinks Eastern Mich will beat us. They are the only ones precluded from seeing any film. Only thing I can think of is that Woody doesn't want a repeat of the ISU debacle for the opener.

He made the decision and approved the event.  You don't just change practice and allow anyone to use assembly hall.  They want this event!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Ouch!

Screenshot_20211106-163851_Twitter~2.jpg

Hope there is a nice turnout.  When I was at IU, professors use to cancel class if it conflicted with game day. We use to wakeup to support all charity events that supported thr Library from IU basketball.  Dun Meadow was packed for Kinghts exit speech. 

After down seasons, many, and IU football having the season they are after all the hype - IU athletics needs to work on hype. Outreach, etc.  Not sure if it will ever go back to the late 90's; however you got to try.  

Maybe people don't want to go to things like this that is only a out getting NIL money.  I would say some of us older fans are not big fans of this  stuff so they won't support it.  Also it is only a few days until the regular season. Maybe people who are going to the game don't want  to make sure that trip twice.

Edited by IU Scott

Lines outside the event look long to me. They were never putting more than a few thousand in this one anyway. I read Coach's tweet and that didn't seem his usual good stuff.....it implied a bias towards HH. Either way it's fine but with platforms you have a larger responsibility.

Either way hopefully a great event for those attending!

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe people don't want to go to things like this that is only a out getting NUL money.  I would say some of us older fans are not big fans of this BIK stuff so they won't support it.  Also it is only a few days until the regular season. Maybe people who are going to the game don't want  to make sure that trip twice.

Well they may as well get use to it...that's just the way it is. If these older fans want to short change the kids already on the team, so be it...And if you don't think it'll be a consideration when we're recruiting kids, you've got another think coming...

What we really need, though, is for the heavy hitters ("calling Mark Cuban!") to step up to.the plate and help guide the IU NIL effort...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Lines outside the event look long to me. They were never putting more than a few thousand in this one anyway. I read Coach's tweet and that didn't seem his usual good stuff.....it implied a bias towards HH. Either way it's fine but with platforms you have a larger responsibility.

Either way hopefully a great event for those attending!

Yeah thought the same thing when I saw the lines. It’s also possible a lot of people just waited until they got there to purchase tickets rather than getting them ahead of time. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of the fanfest.   Haunted Hoops was similar and had some success.  Only thing I'd question is the timing.   I mean the season starts In 3 days!!! You want a sellout then do it Homecoming weekend.  At minimum don't have it the same time we have a nationally televised football game.

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

I think they are great. IU fans to the bone.

Largely agree. I don’t love everything they do, but for the most part I think there really good. The podcast is a great listen. 

To me, they're like the IU version of Bill Simmons before he blew up and he was known as the "Boston Sports Guy". 

A lot of people hated him because he wasn't a reporter, he was a fan that turned his fandom into a career, but there was a jealous "why not me" kind of attitude towards him. 

Very similar from some IU fans toward the Hysterics IMO. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

IMO a lot of the hate the Hoosier Hysterics guys get from people is largely based in jealousy. 

I get that they can come on a little strong for some recruits and I'd be fine with them toning down the recruit interactions, but I'd never wish for an IU basketball event to fail.  That's just a little twisted.

• Like 4