Hoosier Fan Fest

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, they built a podcast that secured A-list IU basketball guests, then parlayed that into a partnership with Peegs, and have now parlayed that into a formal relationship with the team, the program and Mark Cuban. All of that also produced an event that was able to deliver Bob Knight into Assembly Hall again. 

And… they were IU crazies before all the NIL hooplah.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well it was there interview with Jeremy Fears that upset me.  Fears had been on campus a lot and posted a lot of IU stuff. Since that interview everything went quit and I doubt we get him now 

I never saw that but I can’t imagine it was worse than what’s posted on message boards about players. 
I also remember a specific recruit being told on Twitter not to pick a school so they could get higher ranked players. 
Guess where they went. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, they built a podcast that secured A-list IU basketball guests, then parlayed that into a partnership with Peegs, and have now parlayed that into a formal relationship with the team, the program and Mark Cuban. All of that also produced an event that was able to deliver Bob Knight into Assembly Hall again. 

I also think they put on the first official IU event that Bob Knight attended. 

• Like 2

I gotta say… I don’t know if Woodson can win here in the coaches position or not. Time will tell. I do know that there are a lot of pieces in place to help get it done and  in the best interest of the program going forward.

If these two dudes want to help rekindle some IU flame then by all means have at it. I will take it all day over the wax bowl of fruit type emotion of the last few seasons. I don’t get the negativity at all.

• Like 5

NIL is here to stay whether we like it or not. I agree with Inequality in that I don’t get the negativity. Whatever people think about these guys it took work and gonads to put this thing together. 

There will be schools that have interested outside parties, like the HH guys, that put on events like this, boosters that perhaps own car dealerships/restaurants/ insurance companies/investments firms etc etc etc  that give a lot of money every year for commercials and/or to podcasts that pay players for interviews.

These activities will get ingrained to the point that incoming freshman recruits will virtually be assured they will make 20k, 30k, 50k, 100k (pick a number) their first year if they go to school x,y,z.  If we don’t line things like this up we will fall behind.  It is what it is… Jimmy Chitwood has left the barn. 

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

NIL is here to stay whether we like it or not. I agree with Inequality in that I don’t get the negativity. Whatever people think about these guys it took work and gonads to put this thing together. 

There will be schools that have interested outside parties, like the HH guys, that put on events like this, boosters that perhaps own car dealerships/restaurants/ insurance companies/investments firms etc etc etc  that give a lot of money every year for commercials and/or to podcasts that pay players for interviews.

These activities will get ingrained to the point that incoming freshman recruits will virtually be assured they will make 20k, 30k, 50k, 100k (pick a number) their first year if they go to school x,y,z.  If we don’t line things like this up we will fall behind.  It is what it is… Jimmy Chitwood has left the barn. 

I'm all for having an event like fanfest but if pics are true the turnout was terrible.  Like Coach SS was right with that tweet.  That's super embarrassing for whoever put this on and for the school and the fan base.

Should have been a minimum amount of advanced tickets sold to have such an event.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

7 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I'm all for having an event like fanfest but if pics are true the turnout was terrible.  Like Coach SS was right with that tweet.  That's super embarrassing for whoever put this on and for the school and the fan base.

Should have been a minimum amount of advanced tickets sold to have such an event.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Maybe, maybe not.  If, lets say there were 2,000 fans there and at $10+ a ticket, that can get each player maybe 1k for a few hours of work.  This, after also donating to charity.  Not bad

Should there be more fans?  Without doubt that would of been nice.  Players were hyping it on social media.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Better to go to bat rather than not try.  What have you or I done to help IU be competitive with the NIL? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DWB said:

Ditto on the grouchiness for me.

But honestly, I think the coaching staff would just as soon NOT have Fanfest at all this year, especially this close to the opener. I'm sure they want to maximize the NIL stuff for the players, but if I were in Woody's seat, I'd just not want it at this time.

Also...don't see the need for the cloak & dagger stuff either, since as of Tuesday there will be film available for all opponents to view anyway. I can't believe that Woody actually thinks Eastern Mich will beat us. They are the only ones precluded from seeing any film. Only thing I can think of is that Woody doesn't want a repeat of the ISU debacle for the opener.

I hope he thinks every team can beat us ...

11 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

11 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Maybe, maybe not.  If, lets say there were 2,000 fans there and at $10+ a ticket, that can get each player maybe 1k for a few hours of work.  This, after also donating to charity.  Not bad

Should there be more fans?  Without doubt that would of been nice.  Players were hyping it on social media.  

I saw on another board that there were ~3k fans there and HH had only ~5k fans. So the turnout wasn't too bad, especially considering the lack of excitement from the more casual fans after the last 5 years coupled with COVID and the mask requirement. 

I also saw that they plan to do it again next year except on a Saturday with a home football game which might help attendance.

13 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Better to go to bat rather than not try.  What have you or I done to help IU be competitive with the NIL? 

Couldn’t agree more with this. The HH’s have taken some risks, invested time and energy, and thought creatively about how better to unite the fan base (and players) and build a level of excitement in the program that’s been missing for decades. I’ll support that all day long. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I could give a flip less who put it on.  That's not the point I was trying to make.  The crowd looked pathetic in the pics I've seen all over social media.  That's just bad optics for a program with a rabid fanbase.  I hate it that those stands weren't full for the players to earn more.  I hate it that future recruits see those empty seats and see full areanas at Rupp and Mackey for similar things.  I hate that more people weren't there to cheer Coach RMK.

My knock is why have this when your football team is on national TV at the same time?  And why pick a date 3 days before the start of the season?   I'm sure the athletic department had the final say here.  And they made a bad choice imo.

Glad to hear they're planning it next year on a football game day.  That is all.

Go Hoosiers!!!

53 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I hate it that future recruits see those empty seats and see full areanas at Rupp and Mackey for similar things. 

I too was disappointed in the attendance for FanFest, but I watched pUKe play an exhibition game on TV the other night and Rupp Arena was empty by most standards. Probably not more than 5k-6k for a televised game. I didn't see attendance figures for their midnite madness or hillbilly heaven, or whatever they call it, so I can't speak to that.

• Haha 1

Me and my wife attended. We were court side and five seats from where they had Coach Knight sitting. We enjoyed it. The players seemed to have a fun time and the young kids (there were a lot) were highlighted in all of the events that involved the fans. Those of us with a birthday were brought onto the court and the players sang happy birthday to us. They did not do the scrimmage and that was the only disappointing part of the event.

Yes, the hosts were corny. Not seeing Coach Woodson or the assistant coaches was odd. But for me, just being there by Coach Knight was worth it all. He didn't speak to the crowd. He went on the court briefly when he first came out as you may have seen in the videos and then took a seat in the corner next to us and watched. Some of the player came over and talked to him after their introductions and it was for the most part brief. When Galloway went over he put his arm around him and talked to him for at least a minute. I can only imagine he was talking to him about defense. Unfortunately, some fans thought it was an opportunity to get pics and autographs. They were disappointed (some angry) when the staff said no and ushered them away.

Getting to see Jay Edwards, Las, Hillman and Dr. Hornsby was cool. When we were leaving we got to talk briefly to Collin Hartman. Because we were under the basket we got high fives from Tamar Bates and Race Thompson. Funny, when the players were tossing out t-shirts and those tiny bags of fruit snakes Race starting firing them off into the seats and when he almost hit someone he looked like he had seen a ghost.

As for the player events they were what you would expect - just for fun. The shooting was interesting. Parker at the top of the three point arch was virtually automatic. Kopp at the same spot was amazing. The only difference between the two is Kopp has a little faster shooting motion. Durr can knock down threes! Obviously none of this means anything until they face an opponent, but if either of these three get their feet set they are going to make shots. Tamar can shoot it too but he chose to shoot from the right corner baseline. Nobody else tried that and when he got going it is a nice looking shot. 

We spent a good amount of time walking around looking at the statues and admiring Assembly Hall. It never gets old. I would do it again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Bob Knight isn't a draw for most of the last couple generations of fan.  You want to know why Kentucky and Duke have sold out events.  They spend money and get what matters to the current students and recent graduates and fans.  And honestly, that isn't 80 something year old Bob Knight.  Its Drake, Travis Scott, or any of the other popular artist.

We need to up our game and get current.  The big boosters are going to give their money on the back end, to fill seats, you need to do what current generations want and need to be engaged.

Just my thoughts.  I am in the generation who watched the 87 championship so i am a Bob Knight fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Bob Knight isn't a draw for most of the last couple generations of fan.  You want to know why Kentucky and Duke have sold out events.  They spend money and get what matters to the current students and recent graduates and fans.  And honestly, that isn't 80 something year old Bob Knight.  Its Drake, Travis Scott, or any of the other popular artist.

We need to up our game and get current.  The big boosters are going to give their money on the back end, to fill seats, you need to do what current generations want and need to be engaged.

Just my thoughts.  I am in the generation who watched the 87 championship so i am a Bob Knight fan.

Spot on. I'm 40. I don't remember the '87 team, and because I didn't grow up an Indiana fan I only barely remember the Cheaney teams. I know Bob Knight the bully, not the iconic basketball coach. Mike Davis was the coach when I arrived on campus. All my favorite memories of Indiana basketball, the reasons I'm a fan, are from after the Knight era.

I understand why having Knight in the building is a big deal for the Hysterics guys, and for other fans of a certain age. I doubt his presence moves the needle much at all for fans another generation even younger than myself. Whatever excitement I feel for the Mike Woodson era is based on what he is doing right now, and what he might accomplish in the coming seasons. It has nothing to do with Woodson's time as a player.

Indiana Basketball needs to be about more than just Bob Knight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Spot on. I'm 40. I don't remember the '87 team, and because I didn't grow up an Indiana fan I only barely remember the Cheaney teams. I know Bob Knight the bully, not the iconic basketball coach. Mike Davis was the coach when I arrived on campus. All my favorite memories of Indiana basketball, the reasons I'm a fan, are from after the Knight era.

I understand why having Knight in the building is a big deal for the Hysterics guys, and for other fans of a certain age. I doubt his presence moves the needle much at all for fans another generation even younger than myself. Whatever excitement I feel for the Mike Woodson era is based on what he is doing right now, and what he might accomplish in the coming seasons. It has nothing to do with Woodson's time as a player.

Indiana Basketball needs to be about more than just Bob Knight.

I don't disagree at all.  But I'm waiting to see what kind of response you get to that last sentence.   😮

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think this concept is overstated.  Drake performed at one midnight madness almost 10 years ago.  I think our lack of winning and any consistency has caused us to look at a vast array of excuses.  

Winning culture and winning coaches have been the downfall.  Not hip hop concerts.  Sure, play up to the current youngsters, 100%.  But having consistent ranked teams that bring anticipation for winning is what draws crowds.  

Anyone remember the youngins lining up to meet Cody, Vic, Jordy, Watford, Sheehey?  I do.  It wasn't because of anything except how good they were and were expected to be.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think this concept is overstated.  Drake performed at one midnight madness almost 10 years ago.  I think our lack of winning and any consistency has caused us to look at a vast array of excuses.  

Winning culture and winning coaches have been the downfall.  Not hip hop concerts.  Sure, play up to the current youngsters, 100%.  But having consistent ranked teams that bring anticipation for winning is what draws crowds.  

Anyone remember the youngins lining up to meet Cody, Vic, Jordy, Watford, Sheehey?  I do.  It wasn't because of anything except how good they were and were expected to be.  

I don't completely disagree but when you have been bad for as long as we have, Bob Knight in his 80's isn't going to be what draws the campus and surrounding youngsters to an event.  I used the hip hop artist as an example.  There are alot of things that can be done that i don't think IU has tapped into yet.  But yes, winning does cure allot of things.  But you still need to reach more than one demographic when having events.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't completely disagree but when you have been bad for as long as we have, Bob Knight in his 80's isn't going to be what draws the campus and surrounding youngsters to an event.  I used the hip hop artist as an example.  There are alot of things that can be done that i don't think IU has tapped into yet.  But yes, winning does cure allot of things.  But you still need to reach more than one demographic when having events.

True. But I also think it is only positive to have Bob Knight back around. 

It's part of the bridge to where we want to go.

Knight, Woodson....to Fife and Yasir who relate to the younger demographics you are speaking about.

To be at our best, I think that all works together.

And maybe Coach Woodson is just that bridge from past greatness to future greatness.

Here is to hoping!  🍻 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

True. But I also think it is only positive to have Bob Knight back around. 

It's part of the bridge to where we want to go.

Knight, Woodson....to Fife and Yasir who relate to the younger demographics you are speaking about.

To be at our best, I think that all works together.

And maybe Coach Woodson is just that bridge from past greatness to future greatness.

Here is to hoping!  🍻 

That is still allot of old connections that are not necessarily relevant to the last couple generations.  It does help and don't' get me wrong, glad to have him/them back in the fold.  But the last couple generations are not the same as us.  Don't have the same nostalgia and they need to be treated differently.  Old school this and that isn't always going to cut it.  Need to find a way for all connections, we will eventually die off and then what will we be left with?

• Like 1