Hoosier Fan Fest

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Indiana Basketball needs to be about more than just Bob Knight.

I agree, with a caveat...

I was an IU fan 10 years before Bob Knight came to Bloomington, when IU was past the glories of the 40s and 50s of the Branch McCracken era. It was a difficult time to be a fan...had we continued that way, we wouldn't be Indiana...we'd be more like Iowa, Minnesota, or, God forbid Illinois...

So, yeah...IU IS more than just RMK...But he deserves a huge chunk of the credit of who we are today...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Spot on. I'm 40. I don't remember the '87 team, and because I didn't grow up an Indiana fan I only barely remember the Cheaney teams. I know Bob Knight the bully, not the iconic basketball coach. Mike Davis was the coach when I arrived on campus. All my favorite memories of Indiana basketball, the reasons I'm a fan, are from after the Knight era.

I understand why having Knight in the building is a big deal for the Hysterics guys, and for other fans of a certain age. I doubt his presence moves the needle much at all for fans another generation even younger than myself. Whatever excitement I feel for the Mike Woodson era is based on what he is doing right now, and what he might accomplish in the coming seasons. It has nothing to do with Woodson's time as a player.

Indiana Basketball needs to be about more than just Bob Knight.

Long way to go for that to be true and I'm not dismissing the contributions of Branch McCracken - let's win a few more NCs and then talk about IU Basketball as a program rather than a coach or 2.

It depends on what you are trying to get from these events. If the idea is to get NIL money for the players or program, you need the older crowd. That's where he money is. If you just want to pack the house you need the kids that go to school at IU. But typically those kids don't have a lot of extra income to toss around.

What I observed on Saturday was a lot of older fans and large number families with small kids. There were some college aged kids there but not a lot and I'm not counting the players and cheerleaders. Also, I don't think they were trying to pack the place to begin with. When I checked for tickets they had already cut off the lower priced seats but when the program started there were plenty of seats that could have been available if they wanted to sell them.

So, if you change the event to bring in a younger crowd you may come closer to filling up the place, but you likely lose some of the older crowd with the money. You may also lose some of the families with small kids that are not interested in the same things as a bunch of 20 somethings. Then it becomes opportunity cost for those of you in the business world.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

It depends on what you are trying to get from these events. If the idea is to get NIL money for the players or program, you need the older crowd. That's where he money is. If you just want to pack the house you need the kids that go to school at IU. But typically those kids don't have a lot of extra income to toss around.

What I observed on Saturday was a lot of older fans and large number families with small kids. There were some college aged kids there but not a lot and I'm not counting the players and cheerleaders. Also, I don't think they were trying to pack the place to begin with. When I checked for tickets they had already cut off the lower priced seats but when the program started there were plenty of seats that could have been available if they wanted to sell them.

So, if you change the event to bring in a younger crowd you may come closer to filling up the place, but you likely lose some of the older crowd with the money. You may also lose some of the families with small kids that are not interested in the same things as a bunch of 20 somethings. Then it becomes opportunity cost for those of you in the business world.

There is enough room in AH to fit both. Put a VIP section behind the players bench/side for the old crowd...and put the families on the opposite side or above the sectioned off portion. I think it's a great thing for the players....but I think it would be better served with better scheduling and just better coordination. I also am not sure why we have two events. It's confusing and honestly if this one is more beneficial to players and possibly incoming recruits then just get behind one event. You want the college kids to attend....get a sponsor to pay for an act to come in and play a few songs after it's over (give parents time to get the kids out)...or get a sponsor to who wants to reach college kids either pay their admission etc. Anyways...somehow morphing Hoosier Hysteria and this into one bigger event should be the goal I would think. I don't hate it....I just wish it was executed better from what I hear.

• Like 1

They also mentioned that the company they worked with some other schools. They did free events and had the same or lower attendance than what IU did. 

They said the same people told them about 50 kids was normal for a camp, so 120 is a great turnout. 

Overall, they were very happy and considered it a success. More importantly, they said the players agreed. Each got a check that night and will get an additional one later. 

Edited by BeerBQ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the event is mainly to earn NIL $$$...  it's a no brainer to have it the Friday before or night of a Saturday home football game.   The alumni and out of town folks are in town so take advantage of it.   I would have for sure gone when I was back for the MSU homecoming beating.

Go Hoosiers!!!

13 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

They also mentioned that the company they worked with some other schools. They did free events and had the same or lower attendance than what IU did. 

They said the same people told them about 50 kids was normal for a camp, so 120 is a great turnout. 

Overall, they were very happy and considered it a success. More importantly, they said the players agreed. Each got a check that night and will get an additional one later. 

Finished the entire podcast a few seconds ago.  Raised over 100k to destribute and some of the additonal deals were from some food sources.  Pro camp told them they had more fans then the likes of kansas and kentucky, and those two gave away free tickets.  Have to listen to get full details.  

• Like 2