Michigan Game Thread

Reacher

2 hours ago, rico said:

I did not expect the bottom to fall out like it has.  I have no words to describe my disappointment with this year's squad.

Agree with this 100%. The fact that we are 0-6 and could possibly go winless in the B1G is disgusting. The Hoosiers aren't even competitive in some of these games which is the most disappointing thing about this season. Yes they have had a tough schedule, but if you want to be at the top of the B1G you can't lose every single damn game.

What makes this year even worse is that Illinois, Turdue, Nebraska and Rutgers who weren't expected to do anything this season looks better then the Hoosiers. 

While i am a Tom Allen fan he can't let this carry over into next season. If we have another season next year like this year that would be 4 out of 6 with a losing record and an 0-3 bowl record. That seat would be starting to get extremely hot.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Agree with this 100%. The fact that we are 0-6 and could possibly go winless in the B1G is disgusting. The Hoosiers aren't even competitive in some of these games which is the most disappointing thing about this season. Yes they have had a tough schedule, but if you want to be at the top of the B1G you can't lose every single damn game.

What makes this year even worse is that Illinois, Turdue, Nebraska and Rutgers who weren't expected to do anything this season looks better then the Hoosiers. 

While i am a Tom Allen fan he can't let this carry over into next season. If we have another season next year like this year that would be 4 out of 6 with a losing record and an 0-3 bowl record. That seat would be starting to get extremely hot.

It is safe to say that we are the worst team in the B1G.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Next week we will see who the worst team is. Talking of firing Allen over one bad season riddled with injury is crazy talk. With that said. Something was definitely going on in that locker room? We may never know, but in a few weeks the firings and the departures will tell the story. I am not sure how many of you caught what the announcer said and quickly moved away from it. turmoil and controversy. 

57 minutes ago, rico said:

Honest question.  What would you do with our offensive scheme to squeeze some sort of efficiency out of it?

As honest as I can be with you... I have noooo f'ing clue. 

You can't win on the outside, even when you can, usually there is a missed/DM sees a WR too late because he's a TR FR. 

There are so many things working against our offense right now.. 4th string QB, top 3 RB hurt/quit, No. 2 WR goes down..... like sure, I realize there are some schools that can absorb these kinds of things and still find a way to be competitive... we don't have the depth or anywhere else. 

I'd like to say our screen game could improve, but we cant throw the ball downfield to consistently be threats. 

The run stuff for McCulley is good, and yes there was a QB CT on 3rd down I didn't like as a play call either. We did some nice things early offensively.. we really did. But I told my dad to start the 2nd q there is zero chance we can sustain that. We flat our are no threats on the outside. The safeties respect nothing. Same with the LBers. 

Basically.. this offense has the same problem our offense did in basketball the last 4 years... can't stretch the defense. I mean could imagine James Blackmon on last years team (just an example).. just stand in a corner lol so they can double our All American down low..

Well this offense in football has the exact same issue.. but it's magnified by an extremely below average OL... OL sucks, QB is a true FR, RB is down to all walk ons, the WRs are poor, and the TE room is very good. 

So I have no f'ing clue what I would do I were NS. I'll never admit this has been all his fault or anywhere close to it... I'm also fine with moving on from him. Hiller should be fired. 

We've shown some innovation, again it's just not something we can sustain w/a FR QB and a WR group that is zero threat. I truly had no clue how much we'd miss Matthews. 

We could use the wide side of the field that entire game because we flat out cannot protect long enough.. especially against UMs DEs.. that was good play design, but again.. not sustainable because we cannot win one on ones. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I do think moving forward 2TE sets should be base offense. 

I was thinking 2 TE sets with 2 RB sets sprinkled in myself as well.  More "trickeration" plays using the QB's legs.  Try to use the screen more too.  Somehow we got to get the guys we have to be more efficient and able to move the ball.

As much as we talk about the O line, and rightfully so, the receivers have been a huge problem.  I’m barely watching the games intently and surely not watching the all 22 but it doesn’t look like those guys are separating.  

Matthews was the one guy who was sudden and could dart quickly into open spaces.  With our line not able to hold blocks, we need quick twitch receivers.  We’ve got a bunch of guys that need to get in the weight room too, maybe understandably so. 

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

I was thinking 2 TE sets with 2 RB sets sprinkled in myself as well.  More "trickeration" plays using the QB's legs.  Try to use the screen more too.  Somehow we got to get the guys we have to be more efficient and able to move the ball.

What 2 RBs you wanna use? 

Problem is.. yes for a 4-5 play package, that will probably move the ball for one series, but how do you sustain that? You cannot have an entire game plan off 22 personnel. 

This is wayyyyy more Jimmies and Joes right now than anything schematically we can change. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As much as we talk about the O line, and rightfully so, the receivers have been a huge problem.  I’m barely watching the games intently and surely not watching the all 22 but it doesn’t look like those guys are separating.  

Matthews was the one guy who was sudden and could dart quickly into open spaces.  With our line not able to hold blocks, we need quick twitch receivers.  We’ve got a bunch of guys that need to get in the weight room too, maybe understandably so. 

Purdue can go throw a 4-7 slant/hitch to Bell any time they want. Then when teams that away he can win a one on one deep. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What 2 RBs you wanna use? 

Problem is.. yes for a 4-5 play package, that will probably move the ball for one series, but how do you sustain that? You cannot have an entire game plan off 22 personnel. 

This is wayyyyy more Jimmies and Joes right now than anything schematically we can change. 

All I know is what we are doing ain't working.  We got to work something different out with the personnel we got.  If that means a TE, WR, or a DB has to play RB then so be it.  

• Like 1

I do think McCulley will be really good and if I’m wrong you can call me out on it.  He’s a fighter and competitive, which I love.  He’s essentially put into an impossible situation but he battles.  

It’s tough at his age and being third string to process quickly and then you have leaky tackles and receiver issues.  Not a recipe for success.

Look at his tools, though.  The ball looks like a nerf in his hands.  At the combine, the NFL looks at hand size because it’s usually a pretty good indicator of success.  Good arm, and he can just whip it.  For as tall as he is, his release is compact.  

It’s a lot to ask a freshman who was walking the halls between 5th and 6th periods a few months ago to process a B1G East defense with Aidan Hutchinson blowing through his protection. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Purdue can go throw a 4-7 slant/hitch to Bell any time they want. Then when teams that away he can win a one on one deep. 

I would take Bell over any receiver in the country.  If he were at Bama the hype would be ridiculous.  Karlaftis is an animal too.  It is what it is. 

Having said that, McFadden deserves just as many accolades.  He might be my favorite IU defender of my lifetime over a guy like Ogunleye.

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don't necessarily know who's fault it is (play design, receivers running bad routes, receivers just too slow, etc.), but the two games I've seen in person (PSU & MD) the IU receivers are rarely open and get very, very little separation. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would take Bell over any receiver in the country.  If he were at Bama the hype would be ridiculous.  Karlaftis is an animal too.  It is what it is. 

Having said that, McFadden deserves just as many accolades.  He might be my favorite IU defender of my lifetime over a guy like Ogunleye.

Too bad he’s not getting much help. Seems like IU only gets blitz or coverage sacks. 

• Like 1

CTA’s #1, main objective after every game is to keep his team together mentally. Listening to both his post game interviews, you can really tell this season has taken a huge toll on HIM mentally too. His voice is more quiet and his words are filled with inner misery and disbelief. After witnessing CTA bark at Sheridan on National TV last night and then reference that incident in a post game interview, tells a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

CTA’s #1, main objective after every game is to keep his team together mentally. Listening to both his post game interviews, you can really tell this season has taken a huge toll on HIM mentally too. His voice is more quiet and his words are filled with inner misery and disbelief. After witnessing CTA bark at Sheridan on National TV last night and then reference that incident in a post game interview, tells a lot. 

I remember during DeBord's last season, about half way through the year, Allen talked more and more that he wasn't happy with the offense. You could see him getting more frustrated each week. Seems like this year is kind of similar.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

If I were Hiller and Sheridan, I would be feeling like that punter sitting all by himself after missing the game winning field goal,….. for the second game in a row.

20 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I remember during DeBord's last season, about half way through the year, Allen talked more and more that he wasn't happy with the offense. You could see him getting more frustrated each week. Seems like this year is kind of similar.

Oregon St., Washington, and Florida all fired coordinators after Saturday's games. Allen needs to make up his mind and for the sake of the program, shake things up. 

Losing begets losing. I think the players need to be given a wake-up call for sure. I also think they need to be given some hope. Same ol'-same ol' isn't getting it done. Pull the plug, Tom. Make some changes.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2021 at 9:06 AM, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Me thinks the "honeymoon" may be coming to an end....

Nope.....all due respect, CTA is what Indiana needs and has longed for. There is a lot of blame and finger pointing going on right now, especially from the fans. I'm sure it's "slithering" it's way throughout the team. CTA has to be that buffer and ward off that "devil whispering in your ear" mentality. 

Good coaches know a team needs new direction and don't worry about hurt feelings or stepping on toes when making personnel changes. CTA has been around this game long enough to know when something is not working. He went out and made a strong statement by hiring Coach Warren and Coach McCullough for the defensive side of the ball. I feel with his connections he can go out and get the right offensive minds along with the beef to back it up.