Starting Lineup for the First Game of the Mike Woodson Era?

IUFLA

4 hours ago, MaroonRebel said:

It does not surprise me that the ones Coach Woodson talked into transferring to IU will get the start. He did recruit them into the program and last year's talent did not light the world on fire.  Just a thought. I am glad we have some cupcakes to determine which parts work the best together. I expect the lineup tomorrow will not be the lineup in March.

I don’t know that being "Coach Woodson's guys" really has much to do with it. 3 out of the 5 starters committed to Archie Miller first. 

Just my guess, but I'd guess the main factors to start were:

1. Talent and performance in practice

2. How quickly they picked up the new system

3. Experience. 

I am curious how much young players, namely freshmen will play initially under Woodson. In the NBA typically rookies outside the top 5-8 or so picks don’t play as much. It's very much a veterans league, so how will that translate to college? 

Going to put this out there! For some reason I’ve got an idea that this starting lineup is something special that leads to greater things! I’m thinking a lot of us are going to remember this starting lineup in the years to come!

I can honestly say I have no clue as to anyone on Coach Knights first team on the floor?

I’m hoping one of our faithful will remember without looking it up!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Going to put this out there! For some reason I’ve got an idea that this starting lineup is something special that leads to greater things! I’m thinking a lot of us are going to remember this starting lineup in the years to come!

I can honestly say I have no clue as to anyone on Coach Knights first team on the floor?

I’m hoping one of our faithful will remember without looking it up!

Come on, brother! Steve Downing? Joby Wright? John Ritter? Finished 3rd I think in the Big 10...

Second year, Big 10 title and a Final 4. I kinda knew we had something special!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Come on, brother! Steve Downing? Joby Wright? John Ritter? Finished 3rd I think in the Big 10...

Got to listen to IU -UCLA FINAL4 ! IN THE ARMY AND STILL THINK IU GOT SCREWED!!!   The Downing 4th instead of Walton's 4th!! 1st of many Screw jobs! Should have been IU's 3rd TITLE!!! Still believe it to this DAY!! But I wear Rose colored glasses!!🏀

Edited by loviubb
  • Haha 1

Just now, loviubb said:

Got to listen to IU -UCLA FINAL4 ! IN THE ARMY AND STILL THINK IU GOT SCREWED!!!  

Damn right they did! Walton charged!

I think if George McGinnis #had stayed (and I do understand why he didn't) and conformed to RMK's system we'd have beaten UCLA by 20...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think if George McGinnis #had stayed (and I do understand why he didn't) and conformed to RMK's system we'd have beaten UCLA by 20...

Love it !! The radio called WALTON'S 4TH! And later changed it to DOWNING!! I have never seen it on replay but IU GOT SCREWED!!  Thanks IUFLA! I AND YOU KNOW!!🍺

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If George would have stayed!! Oh BOY!!! In his words he wish he Did but also Know why he went PRO!! Family 1ST!

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Okay, in my defense! 1971 I was a freshman at Tri State College and really had no clue about IU basketball?  It wasn’t until the next year that one of my friends was yelling at Coach Knight on tv, C’mon Bobby! Kinda like we have been yelling at IU the the last decades! But I took notice! Been a Hoosier Basketball fan ever since! And yes I remember George McGinnis, awesome player!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Okay, in my defense! 1971 I was a freshman at Tri State College and really had no clue about IU basketball?  It wasn’t until the next year that one of my friends was yelling at Coach Knight on tv, C’mon Bobby! Kinda like we have been yelling at IU the the last decades! But I took notice! Been a Hoosier Basketball fan ever since! And yes I remember George McGinnis, awesome player!

I lived just down the road from Tri state! In 71 ( Trine) Had a cousin going there at that time! I was just Graduating from Dekalb HS! Small world! Roy Charleswood came out of Ashley at that time!

Edited by loviubb
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

But I think we can at least reasonably assume that at least the first 3 off the bench this year are better than what we had last year. We have one former starter (Rob), one kid that's played 3 years of college ball and hasn't faired too poorly (Durr), and a 5 Star recruit (Tamar)...last year it was Jerome Hunter and then the 4 freshmen.

If anyone is overly optimistic, it'd be me...Coach Woody is of course saying things that build confidence, but he strikes me as a straight shooter...and he knows the game better than any of us. 

I start these threads to stimulate conversation, not as declarations of being "right." I appreciate alternative viewpoints and the conversation as a whole...

Oh no question we should be better "on paper". No argument there.

My only point to this was, we ain't playing 10-12 guys.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Talk about small guards!  Wilson 6-3, White 5-8, Heiniger 5-10, Shepherd 5-10, Pemberton 6-3. 

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Talk about small guards!  Wilson 6-3, White 5-8, Heiniger 5-10, Shepherd 5-10, Pemberton 6-3. Hi

2 minutes ago, loviubb said:

It was 1971 and 6ft was pretty good size back then? 

Yeah that's what I was thinking too...back then, a lot of forwards were 6'5 (Roger Brown?)...our backcourt in 74, 75, and 76 was freakishly big at 6'3 and 6'7 for that time...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking too...back then, a lot of forwards were 6'5 (Roger Brown?)...our backcourt in 74, 75, and 76 was freakishly big at 6'3 and 6'7 for that time...

Buckner and Wilkerson were HUGE! Wilkerson jumped the opening Tip offs! And Buckner a starting defensive back at football! Great times to be an IU FAN!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, loviubb said:

Buckner and Wilkerson were HUGE! Wilkerson jumped the opening Tip offs! And Buckner a starting defensive back at football! Great times to be an IU FAN!!!

Everyone remembers the regional final loss to Kentucky in 75 as a huge gut punch, but the one game playoff loss to Michigan for the 1974 Big 10 title isn't far behind in the bitterly disappointing loss category...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Everyone remembers the regional final loss to Kentucky in 75 as a huge gut punch, but the one game playoff loss to Michigan for the 1974 Big 10 title isn't far behind in the bitterly disappointing loss category...

I never heard much about this game as I was over seas and I do remember the Downing Walton foul! As I was lucky enough to have a radio at my side!

21 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I never heard much about this game as I was over seas and I do remember the Downing Walton foul! As I was lucky enough to have a radio at my side!

Thank you for your service!

That 74 team was kinda "forgotten." 23-5 overall, and 12-2 in the Big 10 (tied with Michigan). The B1G made us play a playoff game in Champaign to see who would go to the NCAA Tourney (which I'm sure you remember only took 25 teams and only one per conference at that time). 

Lost that playoff...and got relegated to the new Commissioner's Tournament, which we won...

But if we'd gotten in the NCAA, I think we'd have made some noise...we were definitely one of the 25 best teams in the country...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ephul said:

Oh no question we should be better "on paper". No argument there.

My only point to this was, we ain't playing 10-12 guys.

I don't think 10 is out of the question, but 12 is a stretch...

But after seeing them play last year, it's not comforting to know that kids like Anthony Leal and Khristian Lander are in those 11-12 spots? It's a long season, and a lot can happen...

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm interested to see Parker Stewart.  To me, he is the one who left a lot of questions from the summer trip.  I know people say he proved he can play at this level, but UT Martin isn't the B1G.

He started in 20 games at Pitt as a true freshman. In ACC conference games he averaged 30 minutes per game, scored 11 ppg and shot 43% from 3 taking 6 per game. 

So I'd say he's proven he can play P5 basketball...

• Like 6