Starting Lineup for the First Game of the Mike Woodson Era?

IUFLA

17 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

When Bates gets healthy, and acclimated, I think he will push the guards for 25+ minutes of playing time. 

Stewart, X, Rob and Bates will get the vast, vast majority of guard minutes.

I always get confused as to whether 'vast, vast' means vast+vast, vast times vast, or vast squared.

Found this interesting scouting report below from the Eastern Michigan message board........ I will have to admit, I found it comical at times. Until we actually beat someone, someone that's supposed to be good, we will continue to be associated with the previous IU teams. We have to earn team's respect. That starts with tonight's game. 

Upcoming Indiana game

Indiana is coming off a losing season in the Big Ten and has brought in former player and NBA coach Mile Woodson to re-vamp the bb program. He has installed a pro offense and man to man defense much like EMU’s HC has.

Indiana’s starting line-up likely will be 6’3” Xavier Johnson, SG 6’4” Parker Stewart , 6’7” SF Miller Koop, and upfront 6’8” Race Thompson, and 6’9 Jackson-Davis. This was Indiana’s starting line-up in the Bahamas. Johnson, Stewart, and Koop are transfers.

Indiana’s returning impact player is 6’9” PF Jackson-Davis (18.9 ppg, 9 rebounds per game) who over powers his opponent. Not a good two-point jump shooter, but he’s worked hard to improve it.

Also returning is stocky and powerful 6’6” SG Jordan Geronimi, who can hit the three-ball (40 percent), and can get to the hoop. Likely to come off the bench, but work his way into the starting line-up. Played only 8-minutes per game last season. This could be his break-out season.

Pittsburg transfer 6’3” PG Xavier Johnson will at the helm. He’s extremely fast, makes assists, is not a good shooter, and last season turned the ball once every 10 minutes. Shot 28 percent on three’s. Can get to the rim.

He will face off against EMU’s 6’2” PG Noah Farrakhan who’s a better scorer. Should be interesting to see the two go at it. Should be a track meet. Suspect Indiana will throw everything at him to stop his penetration.

Johnson’s back-ups are returning 6’1 PG Rob Phinisee, and Kristian Landers. Both sub-par players.

Indiana 6’5” SG Parker Stewart is a 34 percent three-ball shooter who can shoot from deep. He’s a streaky shooter. Can get to the hoop and the foul-line. Is very good at making steals.

Returning SG Trey Galloway is poor 3-point shooter, shoots rarely, and has a high turnover rate. Also returning is SG Anthony Leal. Both are likely to play limited minutes.

Transferring in from Northwestern is 6-7 Miller Koop who is a less than average SF. At Northwestern, shot 46 percent on two’s, 29 percent on three’s, and rarely gets to the foul-line. Shouldn’t be in starting line-up. Poor defender.

Also returning is 6’8” PF Race Thomson who averaged 8.9 ppg, 6 rebounds per game). He’s a jack of all trades. Can shoot mid-range jump shots, but not 3-pointers (18 percent). Can get to the hoop.

Indiana has brought in an impactful freshman HS 5-star 6’5” Tamar Bates, who can shoot the 3-ball from anywhere and get to the hoop. EMU will need to pay particular attention to him, Jackson-Davis, and Geronimi.

The other freshman is 6’8” Center Logan Duncomb who will likely come off the bench as will 7-foot USF transfer Micheal Durr.

Woodson likes the inside-out game with passes to three-point line. For catch and shooters.

He also likes back-cuts.

Indiana will play small-ball at times.

EMU can play with Indiana. EMU has to be careful not to take themselves out of this game with excessive fouls.

EMU needs to win the turnover battle, keep home-court refs out of the game by not committing more than 13 fouls, avoid committing shooting fouls, and limiting Indiana to making no more than 5-three’s. The later is going to take a commitment to stopping the three-ball.
Edited by Artesian_86
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Found this interesting scouting report below from the Eastern Michigan message board........ I will have to admit, I found it comical at times. Until we actually beat someone, someone that's supposed to be good, we will continue to be associated with the previous IU teams. We have to earn team's respect. That starts with tonight's game. 

Upcoming Indiana game

Indiana is coming off a losing season in the Big Ten and has brought in former player and NBA coach Mile Woodson to re-vamp the bb program. He has installed a pro offense and man to man defense much like EMU’s HC has.

Indiana’s starting line-up likely will be 6’3” Xavier Johnson, SG 6’4” Parker Stewart , 6’7” SF Miller Koop, and upfront 6’8” Race Thompson, and 6’9 Jackson-Davis. This was Indiana’s starting line-up in the Bahamas. Johnson, Stewart, and Koop are transfers.

Indiana’s returning impact player is 6’9” PF Jackson-Davis (18.9 ppg, 9 rebounds per game) who over powers his opponent. Not a good two-point jump shooter, but he’s worked hard to improve it.

Also returning is stocky and powerful 6’6” SG Jordan Geronimi, who can hit the three-ball (40 percent), and can get to the hoop. Likely to come off the bench, but work his way into the starting line-up. Played only 8-minutes per game last season. This could be his break-out season.

Pittsburg transfer 6’3” PG Xavier Johnson will at the helm. He’s extremely fast, makes assists, is not a good shooter, and last season turned the ball once every 10 minutes. Shot 28 percent on three’s. Can get to the rim.

He will face off against EMU’s 6’2” PG Noah Farrakhan who’s a better scorer. Should be interesting to see the two go at it. Should be a track meet. Suspect Indiana will throw everything at him to stop his penetration.

Johnson’s back-ups are returning 6’1 PG Rob Phinisee, and Kristian Landers. Both sub-par players.

Indiana 6’5” SG Parker Stewart is a 34 percent three-ball shooter who can shoot from deep. He’s a streaky shooter. Can get to the hoop and the foul-line. Is very good at making steals.

Returning SG Trey Galloway is poor 3-point shooter, shoots rarely, and has a high turnover rate. Also returning is SG Anthony Leal. Both are likely to play limited minutes.

Transferring in from Northwestern is 6-7 Miller Koop who is a less than average SF. At Northwestern, shot 46 percent on two’s, 29 percent on three’s, and rarely gets to the foul-line. Shouldn’t be in starting line-up. Poor defender.

Also returning is 6’8” PF Race Thomson who averaged 8.9 ppg, 6 rebounds per game). He’s a jack of all trades. Can shoot mid-range jump shots, but not 3-pointers (18 percent). Can get to the hoop.

Indiana has brought in an impactful freshman HS 5-star 6’5” Tamar Bates, who can shoot the 3-ball from anywhere and get to the hoop. EMU will need to pay particular attention to him, Jackson-Davis, and Geronimi.

The other freshman is 6’8” Center Logan Duncomb who will likely come off the bench as will 7-foot USF transfer Micheal Durr.

Woodson likes the inside-out game with passes to three-point line. For catch and shooters.

He also likes back-cuts.

EMU can play with Indiana. EMU has to be careful not to take themselves out of this game with excessive fouls.

EMU needs to win the turnover battle, keep home-court refs out of the game by not committing more than 13 fouls, avoid committing shooting fouls, and limiting Indiana to making no more than 5-three’s. The later is going to take a commitment to stopping the three-ball.

"Who's Geronimi?"

"Italian kid from New England." 

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know that being "Coach Woodson's guys" really has much to do with it. 3 out of the 5 starters committed to Archie Miller first. 

Just my guess, but I'd guess the main factors to start were:

1. Talent and performance in practice

2. How quickly they picked up the new system

3. Experience. 

I am curious how much young players, namely freshmen will play initially under Woodson. In the NBA typically rookies outside the top 5-8 or so picks don’t play as much. It's very much a veterans league, so how will that translate to college? 

Coach went to the portal and got shooting, a point guardand a backup center. Our guards were not great last year on offense. Parker Stewart was brought in by Miller as a shooter, but did not play. I just don’t see why it is surprising to some that X and Miller would start with Parker. I think the discussion was on the guards. Little doubt TJD and Race are starting. I never said, “Woodson’s guys”. They are all his guys, but he went to the portal to bring in X and Miller so he likes what they bring. I agree talent and practice performance will be the leading factor. It will be interesting on how Tamar is brought into a major role. Just not surprised, not making it into a Archie guys vs Woodson. Go hoosiers!

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Michael Durr is player I'm most intrigued by. Its been a long time since IU has had a 7 footer with 250 frame that could bang. Marco Killingsworth comes to mind, but I really don't like to reference former IU players connected to the Sampson era.

De'Ron Davis maybe?

Loved De'Ron, and he had basketball skills, but he was one of those that never got into the physical shape it was going to take to be a starter...

He didn't take any crap though...

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Upcoming Indiana game

He also likes back-cuts.

With all due respect to EMU, they would have a hard time hanging with last year's IU team...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

Coach went to the portal and got shooting, a point guardand a backup center. Our guards were not great last year on offense. Parker Stewart was brought in by Miller as a shooter, but did not play. I just don’t see why it is surprising to some that X and Miller would start with Parker. I think the discussion was on the guards. Little doubt TJD and Race are starting. I never said, “Woodson’s guys”. They are all his guys, but he went to the portal to bring in X and Miller so he likes what they bring. I agree talent and practice performance will be the leading factor. It will be interesting on how Tamar is brought into a major role. Just not surprised, not making it into a Archie guys vs Woodson. Go hoosiers!

I don’t think anyone is surprised that X, Stewart and Kopp are starting. They have the most experience mixed with production of all of our guys at those spots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think anyone is surprised that X, Stewart and Kopp are starting. They have the most experience mixed with production of all of our guys at those spots. 

You just misquoted quoted me ("Woodson's guys") so I thought you felt I was making a deal about Archie's players vs Coach Woodson's players. I was just trying to clear that up. However, I do feel Rob as more experience than the others, but lacks in production. I rarely post and now regret even adding my two cents.   Go Hoosiers!

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Michael Durr is player I'm most intrigued by. Its been a long time since IU has had a 7 footer with 250 frame that could bang. Marco Killingsworth comes to mind, but I really don't like to reference former IU players connected to the Sampson era.

Killingsworth was not a 7 footer. He was barely 6’7”. He was more Barkley like. Durr can’t elevate. He’s an under the rim type. He’s just going to be a serviceable body. I’m not sold that he will play a ton. 

• Like 2