Starting Lineup for the First Game of the Mike Woodson Era?

IUFLA

12 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Deep" doesn't get you very far in college basketball. If you have a bunch of players on your bench you can use without much dropoff in production, it means you don't have many studs in the starting lineup. I'd much rather have four or five guys we knew for sure would be starting. Instead, it's Trayce and four question marks.

I'm of the opinion that you'd better have a good bench for a bevy of reasons...injuries, foul trouble, matchups...my point was, we're better off this year as opposed to last...

And I don't see 4 "question marks." I mean, we know what the floor is for Race Thompson after 4 years, right? We pretty much know what we're getting on the face of it with Kopp, Stewart, and XJ don't we? How Coach Woody gets them to play together is certainly a question, but so far, so good..

And most assuredly we'd like to see them all (TJD included) develop further in their game. 

Upgrading talent is great, but there's something to be said for developing the talent you have...

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hopefully, we're deep enough to beat Eastern Michigan or we'll be in deep 'stuff'  come the Big Ten season, which will result in our fan base going off the deep end.

I won’t try to speak for anyone else, but if we're competitive, hustle, and play 40 minutes instead of 30, I won’t go off the deep end. I'll be disappointed, but at least I won’t turn off the tv at halftime like I did last year

• Like 1

I personally feel that our depth is going to be better this year, but the fans perception of their teams pre-season depth (particularly in CBB) is, in most cases, over-inflated.

THAT SAID, Woody has said that he'd like to experiment with NBA-type rotations. Now, I'm not sure how realistic that is. The only time I can remember a *coach* (clarifying: *not a fanbase*) using those terms was Calapari with his 'platoon style' strategy (or whatever he called it). I am curious if we will see this strategy in action, and if we do, how long will it last? Either other teams will be adapting to us, or we will be forced to adapt to other teams. If it's the latter, the hope of NBA-esque rotations will be short-lived. 

For poops and giggles, what do those rotations look like?

TJD
Race (second out)
Kopp
Bates (First out)
XJ

Durr
Geronimo (second in)
Leal/Galloway
Stewart (first in)
Rob

*Maybe the only thing controversial here is the Bates/Stewart placement, but I thought it'd be best to have a better ball-handler playing with Rob. I honestly think this hinges on whether Leal or Galloway can be a legit scoring threat because the offense prowess (or lack of) on the second string is what scares me. 

*I'd think the combo you'd want to maximize their time together is XJ and TJD w/ a deep shooting threat (Kopp, Stewart and/or Leal).

EDIT: cool five thirty eight link I just found about the rotation of last year's best NBA teams: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-best-nba-teams-juggle-their-lineups/ *Utah's is pretty impressive from a consistency stand point. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Don't know if I missed this elsewhere, but Durr and Bates are uncertain for tomorrow?

You can watch the video, or read the transcript 

"Like I said, big Mike and Tamar, we’ve got to gauge them today to see where they are based on practice yesterday. And I’m not in a rush to bring anybody back off of injury. This is a long season. And I just want to make sure those guys are good and ready to go for the Big Ten."

So thankfully, it doesn't sound like anything long term...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Don't know if I missed this elsewhere, but Durr and Bates are uncertain for tomorrow?

If you go back and watch the video of Coach Ya that was posted on twitter, Durr and Bates were both seen on the sideline at one point during their scrimmage. Durr was dressed but Bates didn't have a practice jersey on so take that for what it's worth. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm of the opinion that you'd better have a good bench for a bevy of reasons...injuries, foul trouble, matchups...my point was, we're better off this year as opposed to last...

And I don't see 4 "question marks." I mean, we know what the floor is for Race Thompson after 4 years, right? We pretty much know what we're getting on the face of it with Kopp, Stewart, and XJ don't we? How Coach Woody gets them to play together is certainly a question, but so far, so good..

And most assuredly we'd like to see them all (TJD included) develop further in their game. 

Upgrading talent is great, but there's something to be said for developing the talent you have...

In addition to developing talent, I'm looking to see if we have a system that generates a sum greater than its parts. That is what Knight was known for. There have been years where I think our players produced less than their rankings/ what was expected, it would be nice to the opposite and I feel good about that prospect. One example is Kopp and Stewart not being asked to do so much and benefitting from the players around them and getting high percentage shots. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

In addition to developing talent, I'm looking to see if we have a system that generates a sum greater than its parts. That is what Knight was known for. There have been years where I think our players produced less than their rankings/ what was expected, it would be nice to the opposite and I feel good about that prospect. One example is Kopp and Stewart not being asked to do so much and benefitting from the players around them and getting high percentage shots. 

I'm feeling comfortable with the fact that Woodson played 4 years for Knight, seems to have a relationship with him, and can add all of his own experience to the mix. I'm guessing he will blend all that together and we will be satisfied. 

Discipline and fundamentals with a modern game plan is what I think we will see. And real defense.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That backcourt was one of the worst in power 5.  Are you saying it's hard to fathom that Rob isn't good enough to start since he's the only one of the 3 left?

no...opposite. It's hard fathom that we were that bad and got a complete overhaul of talent so quickly. 

• Thanks 1

It does not surprise me that the ones Coach Woodson talked into transferring to IU will get the start. He did recruit them into the program and last year's talent did not light the world on fire.  Just a thought. I am glad we have some cupcakes to determine which parts work the best together. I expect the lineup tomorrow will not be the lineup in March.

Edited by MaroonRebel