Monster Buck killed in Decatur County.

One of my former students and family friend Dustin Huff killed a monster Buck just a few miles from our house. 

Dustin and Luke Combs were roommates in Nashville when both were writing songs. Minutes after killing the deer he text Luke and Luke made some phone calls and within a couple of hours Dustin was offered 150k for the deer. Here is his recap of the hunt, and some other pics. 

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/whitetail-deer/photos-this-buck-might-crush-the-indiana-state-record

image.thumb.png.40e84d7a5d79b63534a6156de0144e24.png

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

One of my former students and family friend Dustin Huff killed a monster Buck just a few miles from our house. 

Dustin and Luke Combs were roommates in Nashville when both were writing songs. Minutes after killing the deer he text Luke and Luke made some phone calls and within a couple of hours Dustin was offered 150k for the deer. Here is his recap of the hunt, and some other pics. 

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/whitetail-deer/photos-this-buck-might-crush-the-indiana-state-record

Having bow hunted a few times in Camp Atterbury when I was young, I can tell you he had one shot and it had better hit something that would immediately disable a monster like that...congrats to him and well done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's the deer of a lifetime for sure!! Almost feel sorry for him...he will never feel the adrenalin like that again.....make you feel like passing on all future bucks. I'd rather that deer come along when I'm in my late 50's and had a lifetime of hunting already underneath my belt instead of having the rest of my bucks seeming like a let down from there on out lol.

No honestly that is a great buck! Best time is bow hunting November leading into the rut before the chaos of gun season. Once the rut starts and the shooting starts a giant buck you've been hot on may never return to their normal bedding/feeding routine. Also that is about as big as he will get...once he starts chasing does he is going to lose 20-25% of his body weight and be so chock full of hormones and lose much of his fat etc that he will not taste nearly as good. 

• Like 2

I will make this one little note after reading the whole story....crossbow kill does take away a bit of how impressive this is. Little easier holding on a deer waiting for it to move out from behind a tree with a cross bow vs making a 40 yd traditional bow kill. That said I don't want to be a hater....a deer of a life-time regardless.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Having bow hunted a few times in Camp Atterbury when I was young, I can tell you he had one shot and it had better hit something that would immediately disable a monster like that...congrats to him and well done!

Bow hunting is definitely not as easy as it may look. Takes alot of practice and prep, scouting and luck. Have to put yourself within 30-40 yards. I've only got 1 buck with a bow and not nearly as big as that. 

I could go out today with my muzzleloader and shoot anything up to about 200 yards.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I will make this one little note after reading the whole story....crossbow kill does take away a bit of how impressive this is. Little easier holding on a deer waiting for it to move out from behind a tree with a cross bow vs making a 40 yd traditional bow kill. That said I don't want to be a hater....a deer of a life-time regardless.

I agree, mostly do to the range modern crossbows have and ease of use.  Drawing and holding a compound with 55# plus draw weight takes some effort. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just heard that it was confirmed as the biggest in the state typical officially 208" and the 2nd biggest ever in the World. Thats crazy. The biggest deer ever killed with a crossbow.

FYI, for an official Boone and Crockett score there is a 60 day drying period. Typically 2-3" of shrinkage. 

Had a cousin shoot a buck that was 200" nontypical but chose to score it at around 180" typical. I was with him when he got the official score. 

If I saw the buck this guy got I'd probably miss it. Lol.

My biggest comes in around 150".

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I agree, mostly do to the range modern crossbows have and ease of use.  Drawing and holding a compound with 55# plus draw weight takes some effort. 

I mean it's impressive no matter what...and I would take it gun, bow, crossbow, blow gun lol...but reading his story I misread that it was a crossbow and not a traditional bow. I was picturing him drawing and holding etc while waiting on it to pop out etc...and how difficult that would be (even with modern bows and the advanced let off) and the nerves waiting for it to move into a shot opening at 40 yds. Don't get me wrong....I mean super impressive still....but the story would have been even more impressive traditional hunt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean it's impressive no matter what...and I would take it gun, bow, crossbow, blow gun lol...but reading his story I misread that it was a crossbow and not a traditional bow. I was picturing him drawing and holding etc while waiting on it to pop out etc...and how difficult that would be (even with modern bows and the advanced let off) and the nerves waiting for it to move into a shot opening at 40 yds. Don't get me wrong....I mean super impressive still....but the story would have been even more impressive traditional hunt.

The one buck I got with a bow I had already drawn on a doe.  This doe ducked under a fallen tree and I was about to release and the buck came out so I was already steady. Pretty easy 15 yrd shot. 

But yeah, seeing something like that would be hard to hold a bead on. Whew. 

• Haha 1

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

The one buck I got with a bow I had already drawn on a doe.  This doe ducked under a fallen tree and I was about to release and the buck came out so I was already steady. Pretty easy 15 yrd shot. 

But yeah, seeing something like that would be hard to hold a bead on. Whew. 

It's nerve racking holding on any decent buck....and I tell...harder yet to just pull back on one because your shaking with nerve and going numb as it is. Heck I do my best to picture all deer as does....just squint to eliminate the rack lol...but it doesn't work lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It's nerve racking holding on any decent buck....and I tell...harder yet to just pull back on one because your shaking with nerve and going numb as it is. Heck I do my best to picture all deer as does....just squint to eliminate the rack lol...but it doesn't work lol.

Man, so much goes into bow hunting. 

The bow, draw weight, type of arrow, weight of arrow, gr of head. Have to make sure the your practice heads are same grain of field tips. 

Haven't bow hunted in a few years due to lack of time. Now that I have the time start up again next year. I miss it. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The bow, draw weight, type of arrow, weight of arrow, gr of head. Have to make sure the your practice heads are same grain of field tips. 

Haven't bow hunted in a few years due to lack of time. Now that I have the time start up again next year. I miss it. 

Ever killed a turkey with a bow?  I've tried so many times but every damn time they hear me draw and run away no matter how quiet I am.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Ever killed a turkey with a bow?  I've tried so many times but every damn time they hear me draw and run away no matter how quiet I am.  🤷‍♂️

Ha, no but was about to shoot a turkey the day I got that buck. 

Have shot some squirrels while bow hunting.  Those bastards get annoying and my grandma was always happy when we would bring her some squirrel meat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

In that case crossbow might be very helpful...unless you are in a full popup blind that is blacked out inside I couldn't even imagine attempting it.

38 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Oh no doubt...no doubt at all! Lot's of practice...and even then the smallest thing can throw you off. Just getting your draw without getting busted is an art in of itself. Getting a deer in range within a shooting window...broadside...well I've had many hunts where I've seen dozens of deer but not get a shot off because it never really presented a shot. I always mostly hunted for a doe and let all but the but the bigger bucks go thinking I would see big brother later in the season and not wanting to waste my tag. Occassionally, I would still go after a buck if it was getting later in season and I've not been seeing much or I knew my gun season would be cut short due to work etc. I'll say....later October and early November is my favorite time in the woods. Not overall weather yet...but a crisp morning filled with maybe a little overnight frost....forest waking up to gobbles and squirrels running around...sound of acorns falling. Heck...I can just spend all day out there and not even bother to even want to shoot anything...just enjoy it. I can't tell people enough how beautiful Indiana is in the fall. Makes all the time spent in the hot humid summer hanging blinds and clearing limbs all worth it!!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh no doubt...no doubt at all! Lot's of practice...and even then the smallest thing can throw you off. Just getting your draw without getting busted is an art in of itself. Getting a deer in range within a shooting window...broadside...well I've had many hunts where I've seen dozens of deer but not get a shot off because it never really presented a shot. I always mostly hunted for a doe and let all but the but the bigger bucks go thinking I would see big brother later in the season and not wanting to waste my tag. Occassionally, I would still go after a buck if it was getting later in season and I've not been seeing much or I knew my gun season would be cut short due to work etc. I'll say....later October and early November is my favorite time in the woods. Not overall weather yet...but a crisp morning filled with maybe a little overnight frost....forest waking up to gobbles and squirrels running around...sound of acorns falling. Heck...I can just spend all day out there and not even bother to even want to shoot anything...just enjoy it. I can't tell people enough how beautiful Indiana is in the fall. Makes all the time spent in the hot humid summer hanging blinds and clearing limbs all worth it!!

Ever missed one because you forgot to look through the peep sight?  Ugh, seeing the arrow fly over the shoulders...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Guys, due to a job change I can't get up to Indiana this year to deer hunt. I'd love for everyone to post their deer pictures in here this year.....at least I can live vicariously through you guys....and I don't have to ask for pictures from my brothers who will rub it in lol.

I will have to wait until next year. Maybe I can do muzzleloader season. But I'm still recovering from a lumbar injury. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Ever missed one because you forgot to look through the peep sight?  Ugh, seeing the arrow fly over the shoulders...

When I was younger I didn't even have a peep on my bow....not only was it a beast to draw back but I was no where near as accurate. It is a huge upgrade and not sure why I never had one to begin with....blame my dad on that one I guess lol. Modern compound bows (even not the high end ones) are light years lighter and easier to draw, hold, aim then those older ones from the 90's or earlier.

I will say I've gotten excited and hit a sapling before because I was so focused in on a doe that I totally didn't see it as I was honing in. I mean I nailed this thing so directly it stuck dead in it....it wasn't very thick either but I stuck it lol. Had to sit the next two hours staring at that damn arrow.....to make it worse there was a squirrel cutting up in a tree near by dropping bits of acorn and every once in a while I'd hear a piece zing off the arrow as they fell lol. Humiliating!! I won't post all my failures....I don't want people to think I'm the worst hunter ever....overall I think I hold my own. That said I think anyone that hunts much at all has just about as many failures over the years hunting various animals as successes....me especially turkey hunting. Think I'm the worlds worst turkey hunter. I seem to be such a bad caller that only the females and jakes want to come in....not any luck with Toms during season. I've been very lucky though...never winged or injured and lost an animal....I'd much rather miss completely then have that sick feeling. Anyways hope only successful hunts for everyone this year...but if someone wants to share a funny fail...well we've all been there I'm sure!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Please tell me he took the $$$ and ran.  That's insane!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

When I was younger I didn't even have a peep on my bow....not only was it a beast to draw back but I was no where near as accurate. It is a huge upgrade and not sure why I never had one to begin with....blame my dad on that one I guess lol. Modern compound bows (even not the high end ones) are light years lighter and easier to draw, hold, aim then those older ones from the 90's or earlier.

I will say I've gotten excited and hit a sapling before because I was so focused in on a doe that I totally didn't see it as I was honing in. I mean I nailed this thing so directly it stuck dead in it....it wasn't very thick either but I stuck it lol. Had to sit the next two hours staring at that damn arrow.....to make it worse there was a squirrel cutting up in a tree near by dropping bits of acorn and every once in a while I'd hear a piece zing off the arrow as they fell lol. Humiliating!! I won't post all my failures....I don't want people to think I'm the worst hunter ever....overall I think I hold my own. That said I think anyone that hunts much at all has just about as many failures over the years hunting various animals as successes....me especially turkey hunting. Think I'm the worlds worst turkey hunter. I seem to be such a bad caller that only the females and jakes want to come in....not any luck with Toms during season. I've been very lucky though...never winged or injured and lost an animal....I'd much rather miss completely then have that sick feeling. Anyways hope only successful hunts for everyone this year...but if someone wants to share a funny fail...well we've all been there I'm sure!

I once missed a buck that was about 15 yards away. I didn't know how I missed but when I went to look for a blood trail I found the sapling that I hit. I was probably 16 at the time. 

I know alot more about guns now but learned to not shoot sabots out of a smooth bore shotgun. I missed the biggest buck of my life because of this.

• Like 1