Monster Buck killed in Decatur County.

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I could go out today with my muzzleloader and shoot anything up to about 200 yards.

You're a better man than I am...I was hell on wheels at turkey shoots in Southern Illinois when I started shooting muzzle loaders  (.50 CVA Mountain Rifle), but 70-80 yards was about all I was good for...

I know you'd have to be shooting real black powder and not that Pyrodex crap to get to 200 yards...

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You're a better man than I am...I was hell on wheels at turkey shoots in Southern Illinois when I started shooting muzzle loaders  (.50 CVA Mountain Rifle), but 70-80 yards was about all I was good for...

I know you'd have to be shooting real black powder and not that Pyrodex crap to get to 200 yards...

I started out with a TC Hawkeye percussion blackpowder rifle.  75 yards was max range. 

Got a .45 cal inline Knight muzzleloader for Christmas around 2005 and gave up shotguns. I bought Leopold scope and dialed that sucker in to 1.5 MOA at 200 yards. 

I got a Nikon Buckmaster on my .308, reload my own ammo and can drill a coke can at 500 yards. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I also built a replica of an XM 177 E2

I will not give it up or my M1 Garand or anything else. 

Edited by mrflynn03

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I once missed a buck that was about 15 yards away. I didn't know how I missed but when I went to look for a blood trail I found the sapling that I hit. I was probably 16 at the time. 

I know alot more about guns now but learned to not shoot sabots out of a smooth bore shotgun. I missed the biggest buck of my life because of this.

Yeah, sabots from a smoothbore are about as accurate as the muskets the revolutionaries were shooting in 1776!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, sabots from a smoothbore are about as accurate as the muskets the revolutionaries were shooting in 1776!

I learned it the hard way. A car had hit a deer on the highway by my grandpas farm. Just down the road from Veale Creek Church.  Ended up hobbling around in our pasture. 

I went to put it down and was about 25 yards aways and hit it in the ass with my shotgun. 

I was like WTF? pulled out my .45 and finished the job. Gave up shotguns after that. Muzzleloader for me is like a sniper rifle. Around here you don't really need much more than that.

Yeah, I carried handguns while hunting even before I was 18. I even packed when I was in high school but left it in the truck.  Never hurt anyone or thought about it.

What's a permit?  I don't need permission. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Crossbows can fire an arrow 250-300 feet per second, typically with razor sharp barbed tips. 

I once took out a deer with a much blunter object, moving only about 80 feet per second. 

Said object was an ‘89 Ford Ranger on a state highway, but I digress…. :coffee: 

My Ravin crossbow is shooting 425 fps.. their new model is advertised at 500.. ridiculous and dangerous amount of stored energy

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I learned it the hard way. A car had hit a deer on the highway by my grandpas farm. Just down the road from Veale Creek Church.  Ended up hobbling around in our pasture. 

I went to put it down and was about 25 yards aways and hit it in the ass with my shotgun. 

I was like WTF? pulled out my .45 and finished the job. Gave up shotguns after that. Muzzleloader for me is like a sniper rifle. Around here you don't really need much more than that.

Yeah, I carried handguns while hunting even before I was 18. I even packed when I was in high school but left it in the truck.  Never hurt anyone or thought about it.

What's a permit?  I don't need permission. 

I've used rifled slugs in 12 & 20 guage smoothbore pretty accurate out to 80 yards when I hunted in Indiana years ago. After I moved to Kentucky I got used to shooting a Savage Axis .308...I like their accu-trigger. Now I have a Savage 220 XP Slug gun (rifled barrel) with the same accu-trigger topped with a Leopold Muzzleloader scope using Remington Accutips (sabots)....sited in for 100 but was nailing cloverleafs at 150 thanks to the ultimate slam reticle...not needed to take a shot at 200 but I don't doubt I could if it was absolutely necessary. Gives me the closest feeling to using a rifle again....that said my brother uses muzzleloader for all gun season...think he has a Thompson/Center....my other brother I think uses a CVA during Muzzleloader season. Anyways, they've gotten much much easier to work with than what my dad used back in the day....and yes deadly accurate as well out to 100...not sure they take shots longer where they hunt. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Seems buck's grow bigger in counties with a lower population of Amish. SE Indiana grows them big. 

I don't even know but do they get to apply for depredation tags like other farmers or are they exempt? Assume they can't just do what they want. Funny when I hunted in Kentucky big equipment like combines and loggers would bring the deer running like a dinner bell. They'd follow them around feeding off the spill and what off the trees that they just fell. Obviously you have to be mighty careful hunting around people but I would think farmers would take their share of deer just the same. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't even know but do they get to apply for depredation tags like other farmers or are they exempt? Assume they can't just do what they want. Funny when I hunted in Kentucky big equipment like combines and loggers would bring the deer running like a dinner bell. They'd follow them around feeding off the spill and what off the trees that they just fell. Obviously you have to be mighty careful hunting around people but I would think farmers would take their share of deer just the same. 

They just hunt in large numbers and fill all the tags they can. No thought of QDM, they shoot everything. And have been known to be trespassers. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...