Eastern Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

Wow. 16% from 3 isn't what I expected. Stewart hit those two early and Phinisee hit one and I thought we were gonna shoot around 45-50% from 3 tonight. Boy, was I wrong. Definitely thought we were gonna lose when they got it to two. A win is a win no matter how ugly. Definitely got some stuff to build on.

• Like 1

I think we have seen this the last 3 seasons. Missing wide open shots, missing free throws, bad line up for 10 mins. in the 2nd half and the D letting up after getting a large lead. But its a win in the first game. Gives the staff something to look at. Not sure who keeps +/-  but guessing Galloway was -30. No rebounding from our guards isnt going to cut it, 6 total.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

First game jitters out of the way? - ✔️

Didn't have to watch a pack-line? - ✔️

Learned plenty of things not to do in the future? - ✔️

Got a win? - ✔️

Yeah while that second half sucked it doesn't really mean much in the long run. Now if it keeps happening that wouldn't be good lol.

Edited by Hoosier51

XJ did some good things, particularly getting downhill.  But, two things with him.  One, your lead guard has to hit his free throws.  Two, Coach Woodson has his work cut out for him getting him to understand the value of the ball and every possession.  It’s one thing to play loose, but it’s another to be lackadaisical with the ball.  He can’t be that erratic with the ball.  With Rob here you can use your bench to get the message across to XJ.  

• Like 2

One thing I noticed was there is a lot of standing and watching.  Throw the ball down to Trayce and move.  Literally giving no passing lane for him to kick back out.  

Did Kopp get any open looks?  

Johnson is not a guy you want taking a shot down 3 in the closing seconds.  Football team could use his breakaway speed though.  

Stewart got those 2 early and didn't get to let it fly from there.  Just a weird game as it went along.  Still working through the chemistry.  

Galloway hustles, he can handle the ball some bit he adds very little if anything offensively and usually winds up abused defensively, despite the hustle.  Bring Bates along more quickly please, i know he was coming off injury so maybe that had something to do with it. 

Good things happened when we pounded it inside.  Should shoot more free throws than the other team makes all year.  Sadly, Trayce's shot is still a little funky sideways and will wind up with empty trips to the line. 

Race is good, still not aure he can shoot. 

Whats new  

• Like 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

XJ did some good things, particularly getting downhill.  But, two things with him.  One, your lead guard has to hit his free throws.  Two, Coach Woodson has his work cut out for him getting him to understand the value of the ball and every possession.  It’s one thing to play loose, but it’s another to be lackadaisical with the ball.  He can’t be that erratic with the ball.  With Rob here you can use your bench to get the message across to XJ.  

The other thing, and we've seen this before with other guards we've had...don't just go to the basket to try to score! Look for those shooters like Stewart and Kopp on the perimeter!

And it's a damn shame that the prettiest interior passes we saw all night were between our big men!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Free throws and dismal outside shooting.  Could have rebounded better.  

We have got to get Kopp some more shots.  He can hit them. 

We must develop an effective threat from 3-pt range.  It's very possible it will have to be from Kopp, Stewart, Bates, Leal, Geronimo, or Lander.  I don't believe it's going to magically come from any of the other returning players.  XJ's shot looks hideous and I'm unsure if it can ever be consistent.

I do think we are better defensively and will get even better.  However, it's a little concerning that we didn't have any answer for their one-man offense in the second half.

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

CMW will need to adjust the rotation and shorten it up until he can trust some of these guys. There really was no need to jack up threes all night. Work thru TJD, attack the paint, get to the line, force EM to adjust. They really played into their hands in the second half and one guy for EM got red hot. 

I’m hopeful that the stuff will make adjustments to optimize what our guys can do well.  We can’t keep going 4-24 from 3 and expect to win.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Except the offense visibly bogged down with Rob at the point in the second half. Looked like Archie ball. It’s a conundrum for sure.

• Like 2

4-24 from the three and 12-20 from the FT line.

Its only the first game (that needs to be repeatedly driven home) but a few observations…

Race looked great at the beginning of the game

I got excited when Stewart hit his two early 3’s, because that’s exactly what we were missing last year, but then his 3 point threat disappeared,.

X was out of control early, and looked like he might be a combo of Green and Newkirk, and I audibly gasped when he shot his first 3 pointer as I had not previously seen him play and his stroke was a bit “jarring”

I’m hoping Kopp helps open the floor but he didn’t (again….it’s the FIRST game) have a meaningful impact on the game. If that doesn’t change Geronimo could take his spot.

I’m hoping Bates turns into a 25-30 minute player but he did not meaningfully impact the game tonight (again, he is only a freshman and it was his first game).

KL might get tired of the pine

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

We must develop an effective threat from 3-pt range.  It's very possible it will have to be from Kopp, Stewart, Bates, Leal, Geronimo, or Lander.  I don't believe it's going to magically come from any of any of the other returning players.  XJ's shot looks hideous and I'm unsure if it can ever be consistent.

I do think we are better defensively and will get better.  However, it's a little concerning that we didn't have any answer for their one-man offense in the second half.

Yep…I think one time he shot a three ball and he wasn’t even facing the basketball…I mean how do you think you will hit a jump shot out there without your belly button facing the hoop??

In todays game with the shot clock momentum is everything. When the ref made the bullshit call. the game shifted. Then the Noah kid went off. We have to have a defender to take on that person that's in a zone and get in their head piss them off and get them out of sorts. That s what fife was for IU. Dane will find his man. For IU Stewart ran away and hid after that great start. Ball has to move and get shots in rhythm. a win is win. Keep improving.  

• Like 2

I saw a team that could not shoot.  It wasn't just a bad shooting night.  The team just can't shoot. 

I'm not sure that is something that fixes itself over the year.  On the positive side, I thought ball movement was good and the defense was much more enjoyable to watch than the pack-line.

• Like 5

Just now, 5fouls said:

I saw a team that could not shoot.  It wasn't just a bad shooting night.  The team just can't shoot. 

I'm not sure that is something that fixes itself over the year.  On the positive side, I thought ball movement was good and the defense was much more enjoyable to watch than the pack-line.

Purdue is 16-35 from 3 tonight….I’m not sure we could shoot that from the free throw line

• Sad 2