Eastern Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

53 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Say good bye to Lander if he isnt going to play. Cant see the kid wasting 2 years sitting. JMO.

He's a freshman right? He may or may not earn his time but speculating on transfers 40 minutes into the season seems Kentucky like. Seems like our fanbase is hitting the negatives more and more....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He's a freshman right? He may or may not earn his time but speculating on transfers 40 minutes into the season seems Kentucky like. Seems like our fanbase is hitting the negatives more and more....

Normally I’d agree it was nitpicky…and having forgone his senior year of high school knowing he’d get five years if he wanted them ….I would hope his own expectations would have been tempered but last year it seemed like he kinda didn’t get the time on the court he expected or felt he deserved …I think he was patient through that as a five star recruit but I think the speculation is fair he probably feels entitled to more than he’s getting and the new regime didnt bring him in and arent beholden to him.  I would bet it’s more likely to happen than not 

52 minutes ago, madmax said:

Early signs aren’t promising… but I don’t think it’s fair to say we “still can’t shoot”. Give it 5 or 10 games and we’re still this bad? Sure. 

I’m not giving up. But as of now, we still can’t shoot and for the most part look no better than last year. It’s not a slam towards CMW. I know change takes time and I expect much better will come, but tonight certainly wasn’t promising. 

21 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Normally I’d agree it was nitpicky…and having forgone his senior year of high school knowing he’d get five years if he wanted them ….I would hope his own expectations would have been tempered but last year it seemed like he kinda didn’t get the time on the court he expected or felt he deserved …I think he was patient through that as a five star recruit but I think the speculation is fair he probably feels entitled to more than he’s getting and the new regime didnt bring him in and arent beholden to him.  I would bet it’s more likely to happen than not 

That's if you agree with the analysts that labeled him a 5 star. Sometimes the small time assistant coaches turned recruiting analysts have guys pegged wrong. 

No clue what the future holds for young Mr. Lander......just don't like the early narrative going on boards. Transfer,etc....he's 18. Let's give him a few months is all I want. 

• Like 2

Honestly, while there is a lot to be concerned about from the actual game, and this might sound crazy, but one of the most disappointing parts of the game to me was the starting lineup introductions. 

Something that always irked me during the Archie era, was how our guys would sleep walk through the pregame introductions, while other teams guys are jumping up and down, showing enthusiasm, getting hyped and looking ready to play. I thought with the renewed confidence from Woodson, etc, we might see some enthusiasm, but it looked the same. 

It just bothers me when you see these others teams with energy and enthusiasm, then IU looks half asleep. 

Note: I'm not saying IU didn't play hard.

• Like 7

Recorded the game, couldn’t watch live.  I was watching my son’s small Christian school and their opponent drill 3 after 3 and wondered why the heck IU has struggled so long at this while following the board during the game.  A few comments watching later

1.  Love seeing fife on our bench 

2.  Love the focus on ally oops, including several out of time out sets

3.  Coach needs to figure out how to maximize use of Kopp and Stewart.  Those dudes have the skill to win games.

4.  Tamar can be a pro…pretty quickly. 

5.  Again, fife on our bench

6.  Rob P and Kopp I think are the ones that can dictate this season.  They perform consistently well, gonna be a fun season.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Honestly, while there is a lot to be concerned about from the actual game, and this might sound crazy, but one of the most disappointing parts of the game to me was the starting lineup introductions. 

Something that always irked me during the Archie era, was how our guys would sleep walk through the pregame introductions, while other teams guys are jumping up and down, showing enthusiasm, getting hyped and looking ready to play. I thought with the renewed confidence from Woodson, etc, we might see some enthusiasm, but it looked the same. 

It just bothers me when you see these others teams with energy and enthusiasm, then IU looks half asleep. 

Note: I'm not saying IU didn't play hard.

I noticed that as well. Was disappointed with the pregame festivities. Thought we could have had better intris- and enthusiasm 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Wow, just looking at the stat line, Kopp, Thompson, X, and Phinisee were 2-for-15 from 3. 

Phinisee especially, 3-for-11 from the field, 1-for-5 from 3, with just 1 rebound, 2 assists and 2 turnovers in 26 minutes. Not a good showing. 

Our guards also had all our turnovers

• Like 2

Just now, Reacher said:

I noticed that as well. Was disappointed with the pregame festivities. Thought we could have had better intris- and enthusiasm 

Anyone know who the PA announcer is? Not sure if it's some iconic IU guy who has been doing it forever, but I thought he was awful. While announcing the IU starters and coaching staff he sounded like he was speaking at a funeral. He was terrible. 

But yes, the lack of enthusiasm IU shows the last 4+ years is maddening. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Not that it matters in regards to the success of the season but even though it was EMU I thought the roof would blow off the place when the introductions and tip-off took place. Woody, first game in a long time with fans, new season etc etc 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Anyone know who the PA announcer is? Not sure if it's some iconic IU guy who has been doing it forever, but I thought he was awful. While announcing the IU starters and coaching staff he sounded like he was speaking at a funeral. He was terrible. 

Chuck Crab had been doing the PA since I have been watching IU basketball

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Chuck Crabb is an  Assembly Hall legend.  

https://news.iu.edu/stories/2021/03/iub/inside/02-ncaa-basketball-tournament-chuck-crabb-public-address-announcer.html

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wow, just looking at the stat line, Kopp, Thompson, X, and Phinisee were 2-for-15 from 3. 

Phinisee especially, 3-for-11 from the field, 1-for-5 from 3, with just 1 rebound, 2 assists and 2 turnovers in 26 minutes. Not a good showing. 

This was my takeaway.  I am fine with the win and know it’s early.  I am all about judging the body not one game but man was I uninspired and maybe even disappointed with Rob today.  At this point in his career he needs to understand what he is and it’s not a 3 point shooter.  Drive the ball, feed the big men, take mid range jumpers when they fall off to double the big.  He started the game with two great mid range shots and then settled for threes and bogged down the flow.  If he comes out and continues to play like today I would prefer coach give his time to others of this is how he is going to play consistently this year.  I hope it’s a blip and not a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's right, I remember his name. Not sure what he is like normally, but he sounded like he was announcing the starters and coaching staff while getting a medical procedure or something. I mean, bring a little enthusiasm to it maybe! 

• Haha 1

Honestly, I am not surprised. 

Game 1, we still can't shoot at this point and can't play for 40 minutes.  Too many scoring droughts just like last year.  And we continually let 1 player go off and have a career game, which last year, led to L's.  We gutted it out and got the win this year so that was good.  We can play defense at times.  TJD is a better version of himself from last year.  Race needs to score and not foul.  Rob needs to stop shooting 3s like many mentioned.  X needs to got to the hole and either score or kick.  Stewart and Kopp need to have at least 5 3s a game each.  Bates is going to be really good once he settles in and values the ball a bit more.

But, here is where I hope its different.  Will we get better as the season goes on.  Does the rotation tighten up.  Do we value the ball more and more as we go.  Does out offense figure it out as we go.  Does this defense turn into a top 15 in the country down the line and play a full 40.  At the end of the season, do we look like a different team?  Or do we look like the last 5 years where we do the exact same thing game one as we do game 30?

We set the baseline.  Now, lets trend upward.  

• Like 3