Eastern Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, NaplesHoosier said:

Oh, and I really don’t like the way Xavier shoots the ball!  But I do like it when Parker is on the court. He could get a better hair style though!

I think Parker's hair is kinda cool, to be honest.  You want to see ridiculous hair, look at Binelli for Eastern Michigan.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Honestly, while there is a lot to be concerned about from the actual game, and this might sound crazy, but one of the most disappointing parts of the game to me was the starting lineup introductions. 

Something that always irked me during the Archie era, was how our guys would sleep walk through the pregame introductions, while other teams guys are jumping up and down, showing enthusiasm, getting hyped and looking ready to play. I thought with the renewed confidence from Woodson, etc, we might see some enthusiasm, but it looked the same. 

It just bothers me when you see these others teams with energy and enthusiasm, then IU looks half asleep. 

Note: I'm not saying IU didn't play hard.

We dont need them jumping around to much outside of the games, they'll hurt themselves. :coffee:

• Haha 2

OK...row 3 observations:

The crowd was absolutely the difference between a win and a loss tonight.  You could see the IU players get really tight when Farrakhan finally got untracked and started lighting it up.  IU had a great game plan for him through about 3/4 of the game and really bottled him up before he caught fire.  The foul on the  attempt by Farrakhan was complete BS as he kicked his leg out like he was punting a football.  Just ridiculous.  He's a spindly little guy but man, when he catches fire, he can hit some absolutely crazy shots.  I just get annoyed as hell with players trying to draw fouls by kicking their legs out and Farrakhan was more obvious than most I've seen with that play.

When EMU got to within a point, the Hall got crazy loud and you could tell it picked the players up and they fed off it.  I give tonight's MVP to the fans.

Other random thoughts:

Too early to pass judgment on Lander's pine time.  If Phinisee doesn't shoot any better than he did tonight, Lander will get opportunities to show what he can do.

Love Woody's demeanor and how he interacts with the players.  I think they'll figure some things out and get better.  I think the players like Woody a lot and I think he'll make adjustments.  Games like this are a lot more valuable than blowouts, even though I'd rather watched a blowout tonight.

Matta sat on the end of the scorer's bench giving him a great vantage point to watch and take notes for later.  I think his value to this staff will mostly fly under the radar but I'm sure he'll be having some very productive conversations with coach Woodson after tonight's game.

EMU is not a great team, but they are better than where they are ranked right now.  I could see them in the top 150 by the end of the season.  Stan Heath is a good coach and he had his kids playing hard and scrappy.

The shooting issues are frustrating, especially the uncontested ones at the stripe.  Surely, it can only get better.

XJ is a nice sparkplug, but I was ready to see him hit the bench after his early turnovers.  Just unnecessarily sloppy, but he cleaned it up later.

Rob P...still way too much dribble dribble dribble when he is the lead guard.  Love his defense, but he showed me very little offensively that would warrant leaving Lander on the bench for much longer.  If Rob doesn't look better next game, I'll bet you'll see Lander steal some minutes from him.

Kopp was disappointing.  Poor shooting night and a defensive liability.

Geronimo...what a highwire act.  I think you're going to see him really blossom this year.

Tamar Bates - you can see the talent, but he's got a long way to go to be one & done.

It's one game, so way too early to draw many conclusions.  Use the game film like the gold that it is and get better.

• Like 8

One other aside for game attendees:  Mask compliance was probably 75% in pregame and maybe 20% by the end of the game.  They might as well just lift the mandate as it's impossible to police in a crowd like that and I saw zero interest in attempting to police it.  @Inequality, don't stay away because of the mask mandate.  I saw plenty of people that never bothered to put one on at all...some right behind the scorer's bench and even courtside.  The further up you went in the stands, the lower the level of compliance.  I wore a mask in but might have wore it 10% of the time after entering.  I was a long way from alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wasn’t able to watch the game last night, but heard Lander, Leal and Logan didn’t see time. I thought I saw where Lander was in a boot, but haven’t heard why. I wouldn’t expect Logan to see much time yet, but was kind of surprised Leal didn’t play. Does anyone know if he’s injured? I hope he can help with our shooting woes.

I know that we aren’t going to see 13 guys seeing significant minutes, but I figured the coaching staff would like to see the underclassmen get some minutes against less than stellar competition. I suppose we need our top of the rotation guys to put themselves in a position where that could actually happen. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I won't be too concerned unless we continue to be beat what should be cupcakes wins by only single digits.  With that being said, returners from last year that played last night shot 1-9 from three, ouch!?!?!?!?!?  Parker Stewart was 50% from 3 ball however which was nice to see.  Need to be close to 33% on the three ball and hit your dang free throws.  I'd make them boys run stairs in AH for each missed FT.  

I wont be worried unless were 6 or 7 games in against cupcake teams and were playing like this night in/night out

• Like 2

When did we hire Shaq as our free throw coach?    

I'll chalk this squeaker up to 1st game jitters and still learning the Woody way.  But damn the free throw shooting still!!!  I just don't get it.  Trayce take some NIL money and get help.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Edited by Indy1987

I woke up a little despondent this morning over the game...but after watching Coach Woody's post game presser again, I got a warm feeling (or maybe it was the coffee 😁)

Why anyone wouldn't want to play for this guys is beyond me...

I think the big thing our point guards have to realize is that Parker Stewart and Miller Kopp are best used as spot up shooters. They're not going to get their own shot for the most part, and they are limited dribble drive guys...we have to get them decent looks to be effective...when X and Rob start going to the bucket they need to know where they're at and get them the ball as the defense collapses...

And I did see Stewart at least play serviceable defense...

• Like 3

My new expectation after watching the game is to just make the tournament. Forget B10 play.. I’m no longer getting ahead of myself with that.. just make the dance please! 

also.. Lander was walking around in a boot this week in class.. I think he’s still coming off injury or might have been officially cleared before last nights game.. but Woodson may be sitting him out for precaution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know it’s the first game and there’s a new coach and they need to play together more, but I wouldn’t be lying when I say: it’s frustrating that we still can’t make 3’s and FT’s. The exhibition games don’t mean squat. I’m sorry, but they don’t. We are a below average shooting team until we prove that we are not. 

There’s a reason Parker and Kopp didn’t get more looks and XJ, Race, Galloway and RP were wide open. EMU is not dumb and other teams will make those adjustments. 

Not putting this on Woody, but we’re not going to be better than a fringe tournament team until we have an influx of shooting talent. It’s hard to game plan around that crucial deficiency in today’s game. 

I’d be absolutely thrilled if last night was ‘just a bad shooting night’ but i fear that it is closer to the norm with this roster. 

Still loved to see my Hoosiers last night though. I’d love even more to be wrong.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Honestly, while there is a lot to be concerned about from the actual game, and this might sound crazy, but one of the most disappointing parts of the game to me was the starting lineup introductions. 

Something that always irked me during the Archie era, was how our guys would sleep walk through the pregame introductions, while other teams guys are jumping up and down, showing enthusiasm, getting hyped and looking ready to play. I thought with the renewed confidence from Woodson, etc, we might see some enthusiasm, but it looked the same. 

It just bothers me when you see these others teams with energy and enthusiasm, then IU looks half asleep. 

Note: I'm not saying IU didn't play hard.

I'm trying to keep my comments to myself, but had to jump in on this one!  I TOTALLY agree!  I commented to my wife that some of the guys were laughing with each other.  I want to see them kind of hopping around, looking mad, pumped, whatever.  

Three point shooting last night was obviously a negative but I’m confident that Stewart and Kopp, both of whom have done it before, will help us during the season.Hopefully someone else (Bates, Leal ?) will also step up.

After reading about free-flowing offense, and players having more confidence, some may have been overly optimistic thinking 5 or 6, average at best perimeter shooters last year, would become a threat this year.  
We will still make perimeter progress if Stewart, Kopp and 1-2 more guys step up.

PS..Let’s also keep in mind that half the team is new and this was their first together game in front of a crowd. Thankfully we got the W (and not a tourney threatening “bad loss”) and the staff now has plenty of teaching moments.

Edited by IU878176

Not real impressed game 1… how bad has Lander been in practice if he can’t see the court?? Rob and Johnson obviously aren’t spectacular. The guards need to figure out where the ball needs to go on possessions. To many possessions where it resulted in a quick 3 from someone like Johnson who isn’t even a good shooter. I want players to have confidence but a three off one pass when your not known for shooting in first place… no. Offense had no flow. 

good thing is we found a way to win. Hoping we see some major growth over the next month or it’s going to be disappointing. 

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I know it’s the first game and there’s a new coach and they need to play together more, but I wouldn’t be lying when I say: it’s frustrating that we still can’t make 3’s and FT’s. The exhibition games don’t mean squat. I’m sorry, but they don’t. We are a below average shooting team until we prove that we are not. 

There’s a reason Parker and Kopp didn’t get more looks and XJ, Race, Galloway and RP were wide open. EMU is not dumb and other teams will make those adjustments. 

Not putting this on Woody, but we’re not going to be better than a fringe tournament team until we have an influx of shooting talent. It’s hard to game plan around that crucial deficiency in today’s game. 

I’d be absolutely thrilled if last night was ‘just a bad shooting night’ but i fear that it is closer to the norm with this roster. 

Still loved to see my Hoosiers last night though. I’d love even more to be wrong.

XJ said in the post game that in an intra-squad game a few days before, they'd shot the exact same number...4-24 from 3...

Coach Woody said earlier in the preseason that if you proved you could do something in a game, he'd let you do it...

I think Race may get a couple more opportunities to shoot the 3, but if he doesn't take advantage, CMW will tell him to stop...

One bright spot...we only turned the ball over 8 times, and 4 of those came in the first 6 minutes...

CMW also said our D went soft in the last 15 minutes of the game, and he would address that...I think he knows that was a trend last year and years before...

Edited by IUFLA

Aside from Rob and Jordan, im just happy Race and TJD took a couple outside shots. I know they didnt fall for the most part, but you have to take 'em before you make 'em.  Im not saying i want those 2 jacking up jumpshots all game, but if we can get several game tapes of them hitting a couple its going to give teams somethibg else to think about.

On a different note, from those that know more than i do, what makes that Shakakhan kid (for example) a mid-major and "pick an IU guard from the last 6 years" a high major?  We constantly get torched by kids that come in and give zero f's what the names on the jerseys are. Do those kids just out kick their coverage for 1 game against us or should we look at getting a couple sometime?