Eastern Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

4 hours ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Not going to overreact to one game but….

Shooting. Shooting. Shooting.

4/24 and 12/20.

needs to be better. Looking at Phinisee/Kopp/Stewart. Those guys are gonna have to carry the load. 

Stewart & Kopp are career 36-37% 3 point shooters. XJ is 33% and has strange shot mechanics. Armaan Franklin and Al Durham shot 42% and 38% from 3 last year. We didn't upgrade our perimeter shooting through personnel. It will have to come from scheme and confidence or this will be another historically bad shooting team.

• Like 1

I love this quote from Xavier, in reference to his turnovers......as well as what happened immediately after!

"I mean, just Coach told me stop being so cool with the ball," Johnson said following IU's win. "That's what I did. In the second half, when I went back in, that's what I did. I just played my game and just went to work."

Johnson would sit for over 10 minutes after that third turnover, but the very first play back on the court, he scored his first points as a Hoosier, a three. It was one of just four made 3's for Indiana all night.

IU's previous coach would have pointed to his head and barked at him from the sideline or at worst, would have only sat him till the next dead ball. 

That's one of the many differences we are going to see this year.

• Like 3

Not being negative Nancy but if we don't shoot better from the outside Woodson's four out one in offense will fail. The defense will sag into the middle and dare our guys to shoot it. I also though there was way too much dribbling and not enough movement. Kopp looked extremely slow of foot. 

Somehow, someway we need movement, motion and better free throw shooting. 

Congratulations to Coach on his first of many victories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Stewart & Kopp are career 36-37% 3 point shooters. XJ is 33% and has strange shot mechanics. Armaan Franklin and Al Durham shot 42% and 38% from 3 last year. We didn't upgrade our perimeter shooting through personnel. It will have to come from scheme and confidence or this will be another historically bad shooting team.

I think there was hope, especially with Stewart who whole being a lower percentage was a way higher volume shooter… something Armaan and Al weren’t. 

6 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I love this quote from Xavier, in reference to his turnovers......as well as what happened immediately after!

"I mean, just Coach told me stop being so cool with the ball," Johnson said following IU's win. "That's what I did. In the second half, when I went back in, that's what I did. I just played my game and just went to work."

Johnson would sit for over 10 minutes after that third turnover, but the very first play back on the court, he scored his first points as a Hoosier, a three. It was one of just four made 3's for Indiana all night.

IU's previous coach would have pointed to his head and barked at him from the sideline or at worst, would have only sat him till the next dead ball. 

That's one of the many differences we are going to see this year.

You know, that’s all conjecture. Whoever said that has no idea what CAM might have thought/said. 

Get it that we are looking forward. Get it that the last 4 years were not good. However, the constant piling on, especially in this situation where it’s a total guess, is uncalled for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

Probably came across a bit more hostile than I intended and may have been a bit of an overreaction. Not saying anyone isn't free to post their thoughts on other aspects of the game. It just came across a classic case of finding other things to complain about once one thing goes wrong. Again, not trying to strike a nerve with anyone. 

Careful, lest you get branded as “angry.”

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

The fact that we shot 16% from 3 & 60% from the line and haircut and PA announcing are a topic of focus in this discussion is beyond me. We clearly have bigger issues lol. 

Not taking shots at anyone, but really?

To clarify, I'm by no means suggesting Chuck Crabbe has anything to do with our 3pt shooting. But if you've watched the last 5 years of IU basketball, including Crean's last year, the team has had IMO a pretty big energy and enthusiasm issue. Under Archie Miller slow starts, giving up big leads to lesser opponents, and consistent energy were pretty constant themes.

I was hoping to see a lot of that changed with the new staff and renewed excitement around the program and players. Obviously this was just one game, but I was again disappointed to see the players sleep walk through the pregame introductions.

I remember last season as an example, IU was playing at OSU and there was literally zero enthusiasm during intro's. Then OSU got announced and their players were jumping up and down, running out when they were announced and high-fiving and pumping each other up as they came out on the court for the tip. Coaches were chest bumping guys as they went out for the tip, etc.

IU players looked like they were walking into a group root canal. 

Of course, OSU jumped all over IU from the tip and we were never really in the game. That's just one example, but a lack of enthusiasm, emotion, etc., has been a constant theme the last 4-5 years IMO.

So no, Chuck Crabbe and player introductions have nothing to do with 3pt or free throw shooting, but I was hoping to see renewed enthusiasm, energy and a level of tenacity, and was just making an observation that I didn't see it, at least for one night. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After seeing the struggles of other teams on opening day, #25 Virgina losing to Navy, OSU almost losing to Akron who was picked to finish 5th in the MAC and Michigan getting outplayed by Buffalo after halftime i have kind of mellowed on the Hoosiers second half. Those games happen to every team almost every year so hopefully this was a one off.

With a new coach it is going to take time for some of these players to adjust to a different system and not have the same things that plagued them the last couple of seasons repeated this year. So we need to have patience with this team. 👍

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I finally watched the game... I think a lot of you are overreacting to one game. 

I'm not going to say I'm encouraged but I'm certainly not discouraged. We have a good team that should be a solid tournament team. 

The flow is much better, they just seemed to become disinterested once they were up by 20. Veterans and guys off the bench need to help maintain any sort of momentum. Although I don't think our shooting issues are just going to magically disappear, I like (for the most part) that people were taking the open shot. I don't think guys like Race or Phinesee should be taking them early in the shot clock though. But it is just one game and even Woody said the offense was behind the defense. The defense was there for the most part. BUT, we have to start attacking the hot hand. For whatever reason, IU always seems to have someone go off on them at some point in the game. Granted, this dude was like 0-100 when he started hooping, Woody and/or a guy like Fife need to say in the huddle, "who the hell is going to shut this guy down!" EMU didn't do much outside of Frarrakhan. But when one guy starts getting hot, I am anxious to see who will be the stopper. 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

To clarify, I'm by no means suggesting Chuck Crabbe has anything to do with our 3pt shooting. But if you've watched the last 5 years of IU basketball, including Crean's last year, the team has had IMO a pretty big energy and enthusiasm issue. Under Archie Miller slow starts, giving up big leads to lesser opponents, and consistent energy were pretty constant themes.

I was hoping to see a lot of that changed with the new staff and renewed excitement around the program and players. Obviously this was just one game, but I was again disappointed to see the players sleep walk through the pregame introductions.

I remember last season as an example, IU was playing at OSU and there was literally zero enthusiasm during intro's. Then OSU got announced and their players were jumping up and down, running out when they were announced and high-fiving and pumping each other up as they came out on the court for the tip. Coaches were chest bumping guys as they went out for the tip, etc.

IU players looked like they were walking into a group root canal. 

Of course, OSU jumped all over IU from the tip and we were never really in the game. That's just one example, but a lack of enthusiasm, emotion, etc., has been a constant theme the last 4-5 years IMO.

So no, Chuck Crabbe and player introductions have nothing to do with 3pt or free throw shooting, but I was hoping to see renewed enthusiasm, energy and a level of tenacity, and was just making an observation that I didn't see it, at least for one night. 

I certainly do agree that the team could use some more enthusiasm and emotion, especially after these last 4 years of Archie Miller at the helm. Thomas Bryant comes to mind. Hopefully that picks up soon.

I don’t think I was bothered as much by the introductions as you were. I was simply happy to see IU basketball for the first time in 8 months and fans in the building (it feels like it’s been forever). But looking back there definitely could have been more emotion shown. I wasn’t at the game so I can’t speak on what the atmosphere was like. 

I realize I came across harsher than intended in that original post. I was probably just a little irritated on the shooting performance and thought posters should have been paying more attention to that. So, I apologize for coming off that way and your perspective is definitely valid. But dang can we please make shots! I miss the Yogi and Zeisloft team, they could shoot the ball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

The flow is much better, they just seemed to become disinterested once they were up by 20. Veterans and guys off the bench need to help maintain any sort of momentum. Although I don't think our shooting issues are just going to magically disappear, I like (for the most part) that people were taking the open shot. I don't think guys like Race or Phinesee should be taking them early in the shot clock though. But it is just one game and even Woody said the offense was behind the defense. The defense was there for the most part. BUT, we have to start attacking the hot hand. For whatever reason, IU always seems to have someone go off on them at some point in the game. Granted, this dude was like 0-100 when he started hooping, Woody and/or a guy like Fife need to say in the huddle, "who the hell is going to shut this guy down!" EMU didn't do much outside of Frarrakhan. But when one guy starts getting hot, I am anxious to see who will be the stopper. 

I'm not sure we became disinterested. I think we had some bad breaks between a few tough calls and a guy we had completely shut down getting red hot.

I also don't think our shooting problems will magically go away, but I also think water finds it's level and we didn't see that level last night. We didn't miss a bunch of shots because we were taking bad shots, we just missed shots. Over time we'll shoot in the mid 30's from deep as a team and probably high 60s from the line. With a better defense and better job taking care of the ball that alone is enough to put us into the area of a much better team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I finally watched the game... I think a lot of you are overreacting to one game. 

I'm not going to say I'm encouraged but I'm certainly not discouraged. We have a good team that should be a solid tournament team. 

I have more faith in Woody and his staff in being able to improve shooting than I did with the previous. Time will tell but I'm not concerned at the moment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have more faith in Woody and his staff in being able to improve shooting than I did with the previous. Time will tell but I'm not concerned at the moment. 

Agreed, except for X. I don't know how you fix that shot. I can certainly see Rob starting if he keeps up his agressiveness and can hit 2-3 threes a game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

Agreed, except for X. I don't know how you fix that shot. I can certainly see Rob starting if he keeps up his agressiveness and can hit 2-3 threes a game.

I agree with that. And not trying to shit on Archie, but Woody scored 2000+ points. He has got to find this shooting unacceptable.  He can at the very least improve it. A 5-7% improvement on all levels would be money.