'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

1 hour ago, rico said:

Cards over Terps 63-55

Losing Wiggins and Morsell hurt the Terps more than adding Wahab and Russell helped...

I can't wait for Iowa to play even a decent D1 team...They've romped over the less than stellar competition,...They have Virginia on Monday and Purdue on Friday so I guess we'll see sooner rather than later...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Meaning?

Pre-announced retirement leading to a NC run...and all over the over the top fanfare that accompanied it... 

Of course, if not for the Purdue Goons that broke Scott May's arm, ol Martinsville Johnny (a Boilermaker himself...he probably signed off on the hit) would have gone home with a runner-up trophy...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Pre-announced retirement leading to a NC run...

Of course, if not for the Purdue Goons that broke Scott May's arm, ol Martinsville Johnny (a Boilermaker himself...he probably signed off on the hit) would have gone home with a runner-up trophy...

McGuire announced beforehand as well didn't he?

6 minutes ago, rico said:

McGuire announced beforehand as well didn't he?

Apparently not...

"His head coaching career started at Belmont Abbey in 1957 and he moved on to Marquette in 1964. He stayed for 13 seasons, the last in 1977 when the Warriors beat North Carolina in the title game in Atlanta.

Rather than join the celebration as most coaches do, McGuire sat on the bench by himself, his face buried in his hands, crying. It turned out to be his last game as a coach, as he retired shortly after."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know they had some trendy uniforms...I always enjoyed McGuire calling a game...

I was wrong again.  Marquette opened the year #2 in the polls.  Fell down to #19 before entering the NCAAT at #16.  FWIW Michigan started and finished #1 in the polls that year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I was wrong again.  Marquette opened the year #2 in the polls.  Fell down to #19 before entering the NCAAT at #16.  FWIW Michigan started and finished #1 in the polls that year.

I know Marquette had 5 or 6 losses during the regular season...Weren't they an Independent then? 

Edited by IUFLA

26 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Ok , didn’t know where to ask this question so sorry! 
What does the stat +/- after each player mean and how is it figured! 

That is just the scoring difference for that player’s team vs the opposing team while that player is on the floor. If the opposing team scores more in the time the player is on the court, then the number is negative. It is meant to give an idea of how effective/impactful that player is while on the floor. 

+ / - stats are more meaningful as a group than they are for individual players.  An individual player may be playing poorly, but if the other 4 guys are playing well, a positive score is still possible.

The key for coaches is to find the rotations that work best together and to avoid those that flounder as a group.

• Like 1