'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

15 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Agree to disagree re moving the needle. I don’t think that’s true. 

That last sentence always makes me laugh. Don’t think it’s even remotely accurate and I always get a kick out of it. Your average person might not know (which is common for schools that aren’t named after the state) but sports fans I’m guessing the majority know where Purdue is. 

I can confirm that many people outside of Indiana don't know where Purdue is. I graduated from there and now live in Arizona. It's not uncommon for people to say right after finding out that I went there to ask where it's located.

On the flip side, another comment/question that I've gotten quite a few times is people thinking it's Ivy League or that level as far as academics. So nationally it does have a good academic reputation from what I've seen. Other IU fans on message boards don't want to believe this just like you don't want to believe that people don't know which state it's in.

I don't want to say either one is a majority of people but I will say that it's not a tiny minority, either.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I can confirm that many people outside of Indiana don't know where Purdue is. I graduated from there and now live in Arizona. It's not uncommon for people to say right after finding out that I went there to ask where it's located.

On the flip side, another comment/question that I've gotten quite a few times is people thinking it's Ivy League or that level as far as academics. So nationally it does have a good academic reputation from what I've seen. Other IU fans on message boards don't want to believe this just like you don't want to believe that people don't know which state it's in.

I don't want to say either one is a majority of people but I will say that it's not a tiny minority, either.

Do you root for Purdue? Interesting comment re Ivy League. 

16 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

You always "agree to disagree" when this topic comes up, but you never give any reasons why. 

Two years ago we had #5 UVA in the challenge. 

Three years ago we had #15 Florida State. 

Four years ago we had #17 Louisville

Five years ago we had #14 Louisville

We had Duke when they were #4 back in 2008.

I get we’re not the best tv ratings but we usually get pretty good matchups and a good chunk of the time it’s against ranked teams. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I get we’re not the best tv ratings 

This is what we're saying when we say Purdue doesn't draw well on a national level. We're talking about name-brand recognition and the ability to attract viewers. I think you actually agree with us, but since you don't like it, you always respond with "agree to disagree." 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This is what we're saying when we say Purdue doesn't draw well on a national level. We're talking about name-brand recognition and the ability to attract viewers. I think you actually agree with us, but since you don't like it, you always respond with "agree to disagree." 

Would love to see actual numbers to back it up to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Would love to see actual numbers to back it up to be honest. 

I appreciate that you are a regular member of the board and are always civil even when some aren't toward you.  But coming to an IU forum, and arguing for Purdue in any capacity and then asking the "enemy" fan board to provide reason why they don't think their rival is a national contender is kind of like banging your head against the wall and then asking the wall to prove it didn't give you the headache.  Or some other analogy that makes more sense.

Same with the Illinoise fan who wants to argue with IUFLA and then wonder why it gets testy.  You're both the odd men out in the room regardless of of where you live or how you feel about IU or basketball in general.  You're teams are not really well like or loved by IU fans.  I could care less myself, but i remember being much more passionate about it when i was younger

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I appreciate that you are a regular member of the board and are always civil even when some aren't toward you.  But coming to an IU forum, and arguing for Purdue in any capacity and then asking the "enemy" fan board to provide reason why they don't think their rival is a national contender is kind of like banging your head against the wall and then asking the wall to prove it didn't give you the headache.  Or some other analogy that makes more sense.

Same with the Illinoise fan who wants to argue with IUFLA and then wonder why it gets testy.  You're both the odd men out in the room regardless of of where you live or how you feel about IU or basketball in general.  You're teams are not really well like or loved by IU fans.  I could care less myself, but i remember being much more passionate about it when i was younger

Point taken! My apologies. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

4-3 Butler up only 32-29 on Saginaw Valley in second half

Lead is extended now but I've got lots of memories. SVS was in my Sons college conference, but what I remember the most was the numerous AAU vollyball tournaments my daughter competed in at SVS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

Which should move Purdue to the one slot. It will be short lived. The B1G gauntlet is going to take a few notches out of their belt on the road. I’d say they might make sweet 16 then pork chop burns traditionally.

If Purdue can take down Iowa at home Friday, they will be #1.  I expect that to happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Inequality said:

Which should move Purdue to the one slot. It will be short lived. The B1G gauntlet is going to take a few notches out of their belt on the road. I’d say they might make sweet 16 then pork chop burns traditionally.

I wouldn't be too sure of that "short lived" part.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Point taken! My apologies. 

My post was not meant to discourage you from posting or anything, just a reminder you're not in a neutral or Purdue board lol.  This board is fairly civil in most cases but don't let that fool you lol.  As always, i appreciate your different viewpoints on basketball and IU in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1