'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Didn't know that.  Love Hamilton.  He's getting up there. 

I like Leonard Hamilton too...he's 73 I believe...

I loved the story they told when we played FSU last year on the recruitment of Scottie Barnes. Said Hamilton rarely gets 5 Star guys because he won't take players with "posses" or a bunch of hangers on/drama around...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

If Buddy the Elf is your best player, what's your ceiling?  50ish.  Turning a corner from a quad 3 loss which at the time was the direction they were heading fast.  Now, thankfully they are steadying the ship and that will likely remain a solid quad 2 loss.  FSU is down by the way.  

They would have to drop 80 spots in Kenpom to become a Quad 3 loss. They'd have to drop 20 spots just to become a Quad 2 loss right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, even Seth Greenburg (who I'm not a huge fan of) said of Memphis just yesterday, "just because you've got a bunch of stars doesn't make you a team." 

I think at this point it'll be like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube for Penny...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

They would have to drop 80 spots in Kenpom to become a Quad 3 loss. They'd have to drop 20 spots just to become a Quad 2 loss right now. 

They just recently added 2 very solid wins.  Idk, maybe Colgate is legit.  Why is it so hard for some of our fans to admit they were playing like hot trash before they got it together for IU?  And now hopefully playing forward.  Does it lessen the blow to barely lose to one of the least talented Cuse teams going back 2 decades?  Not me.  We should have won.  Dont play like poop in the first half and it is a win.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, even Seth Greenburg (who I'm not a huge fan of) said of Memphis just yesterday, "just because you've got a bunch of stars doesn't make you a team." 

I think at this point it'll be like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube for Penny...

Penny's sole strength has been recruiting talent.  He doesn't have a clue what to do with them once he gets them, though. 

If this year keeps going as it has, his recruiting should take a deserved hit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Penny's sole strength has been recruiting talent.  He doesn't have a clue what to do with them once he gets them, though. 

If this year keeps going as it has, his recruiting should take a deserved hit.

I know that "I was an NBA All Star and I can get you there" pitch is a Siren's Song to a lot of recruits, but you're right...

If I was a kid or the parent of a kid Hardaway was interested in, I'd be very cautious...he's blaming the players, but I'm not sure if that's the proper place for the blame...

"Hardaway said that, to shake things up going forward, he would need to be "a complete a--hole" and determine playing time based on those who put forth the best effort."

How was he determining it before? Names in a hat?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"Hardaway said that, to shake things up going forward, he would need to be "a complete a--hole" and determine playing time based on those who put forth the best effort."

How was he determining it before? Names in a hat?

I really wondered when Memphis hired Penny...his coaching resume was thin to say the least.  Looked like he was simply a talent aggregator and I've yet to see anything to dissuade me from that opinion.  I get the famous alum and professional success angle, but I'm not sure even Phil Martelli could help Penny.  It's pretty obvious he is absolutely clueless on how to assemble a lineup and I'm getting a vision of Penny's practices being little more than rolling the ball out and watching his recruits pay a pickup game.

To be fair, I often wonder when a school hires a former NBA player to be coach (see Juwan Howard and Patrick Ewing, among others).  Howard has acquitted himself pretty well thus far, but he appears to be the exception.  At least Mike Woodson had significant coaching experience after his NBA career.  Most of these professional hires, especially the ones with little real coaching experience, appear to be little more than a roll of the dice.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I really wondered when Memphis hired Penny...his coaching resume was thin to say the least.  Looked like he was simply a talent aggregator and I've yet to see anything to dissuade me from that opinion.  I get the famous alum and professional success angle, but I'm not sure even Phil Martelli could help Penny.  It's pretty obvious he is absolutely clueless on how to assemble a lineup and I'm getting a vision of Penny's practices being little more than rolling the ball out and watching his recruits pay a pickup game.

To be fair, I often wonder when a school hires a former NBA player to be coach (see Juwan Howard and Patrick Ewing, among others).  Howard has acquitted himself pretty well thus far, but he appears to be the exception.  At least Mike Woodson had significant coaching experience after his NBA career.  Most of these professional hires, especially the ones with little real coaching experience, appear to be little more than a roll of the dice.

A lot of college coaches are former NBA players, they just weren't stars in the association.  

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Xavier tied at 48 with OK ST in second half. Scruggs with 16. JH with 3. Announcer said Scruggs is first Xavier player to play 5 seasons there. 

He's been around so long that IU's coach two coaches ago (Crean) got fired partly because he missed on Scruggs class in Indiana. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, rico said:

A lot of college coaches are former NBA players, they just weren't stars in the association.  

Got a theory about that as well...more time on the bench with the coach = more time to really be a student of the game.  I dunno, but it seems like the more success you have as a player at that level, the less success you have as a coach.  Michael Jordan is a terrible owner too.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Nah, Washington had to cancel the game. But if this was an actual game score, maybe?

Forfeits are 2-0 scores.  So, assume UCLA has only played one other game and scored 100 points in a win.  They would have a record of 2 wins with no losses, but are they averaging 100 points a game as a team, or just 51 points a game?

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Forfeits are 2-0 scores.  So, assume UCLA has only played one other game and scored 100 points in a win.  They would have a record of 2 wins with no losses, but are they averaging 100 points a game as a team, or just 51 points a game?

The game was never played, so that was most likely a filler score for Twitter

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don’t believe it’s tallied in to the official stats so it’d be 100 PPG