'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

On 12/17/2021 at 5:26 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

This is coming from someone who has had three Covid vaccines. I have no idea what the pro sports leagues or colleges are doing. The pro athletes are 95%+ vaccinated, yet lots of players are testing positive. Maybe I missed it, but I’m not aware of pro or college athletes dying or even being hospitalized from Covid. 
I’ve heard health professionals argue that we need to stop testing vaccinated people because it inflates positive case numbers when all that matters is severe cases. 

I've heard of at least professional athlete dying but that was in the early days of COVID. He was a soccer player in his early 20s but he had some kind of undiagnosed heart issue.

The real danger to athletes is that it can inflame your heart. There was that Florida player last year who collapsed and could've died from his heart being enlarged after having COVID.

So there is some danger but it seems very rare and the athletes all seem to be willing to accept that risk. I have seen at least one league is no longer going to test asymptomatic, vaccinated players which seems like the best way to go.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Iowa St. was 2-22 last year including losing their last 18.  Currently the Cyclones are 11-0 and ranked #11 in the land.  Among their "victims" this year are Xavier, Memphis, Creighton, and Iowa.  Btw, they were picked to finish last in the Big 12.

The transfer portal strikes again...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Not trying to be political, but I truly believe we will be shutdown again sometime after the new year...Hope I'm wrong, but it's trending that way very quickly. 

'Shutdown' is a loaded term these days because there are varying degrees of it. Are you referring to a government mandated shutdown? A NCAA self-imposed shutdown? 

As contagious as this variant is I'm reluctantly assuming we will not play all our scheduled games this season because some teams will not be able to put a full lineup on the floor. 

But I don't think there will be official government mandated shutdowns. And I think the NCAA will ride it out, even if it means shortened schedules and sloppy tournament selections. 

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

'Shutdown' is a loaded term these days because there are varying degrees of it. Are you referring to a government mandated shutdown? A NCAA self-imposed shutdown? 

As contagious as this variant is I'm reluctantly assuming we will not play all our scheduled games this season because some teams will not be able to put a full lineup on the floor. 

But I don't think there will be official government mandated shutdowns. And I think the NCAA will ride it out, even if it means shortened schedules and sloppy tournament selections. 

True...I just think there's going to be so many teams on 2 week breaks for quarantine. Believe me, I do NOT want any type of shutdown. But the number of cases is rising quickly. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

True...I just think there's going to be so many teams on 2 week breaks for quarantine. Believe me, I do NOT want any type of shutdown. But the number of cases is rising quickly. 

Unless the current guidelines change, I can see a lot of games being cancelled in January and February. Just seems unavoidable given the current trends. This could definitely produce a really messed up tournament, if one is even played.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I was reading some stuff last week about South Africa.  Can't remember the source because i don't go to any websites consistently, just random stuff that I come across.  Anyways, in the comments was a bunch of South African people responding and talking about the contagiousness.  They said, EVERYBODY got it.  Comment after comment was yes my entire family, social group, coworkers, everyone had had it in the recent past.  The consensus among them was the same as other reports, no serious but highly contagious.  

What that means for the US sporting product with current protocols?  Lots of cancelations over sniffly physical specimens.  But if the contagiousness is as advertised.  It will roll through very quickly and we will be talking about the next variant before march madness.  

• Like 1

Reports today indicating that South African cases are on the downward trajectory of the curve.  The challenge the U.S. faces is that we are such a large and geographically diverse country.

This will roll through different regions at different times, extending the impact to the country and the sporting world.  For college hoops, there is a good chance Minnesota will get hit in a different timeline than say, Rutgers or Maryland.  

Scheduling for both college and pro sports is going to be total chaos, at least until February, if not longer.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I was reading some stuff last week about South Africa.  Can't remember the source because i don't go to any websites consistently, just random stuff that I come across.  Anyways, in the comments was a bunch of South African people responding and talking about the contagiousness.  They said, EVERYBODY got it.  Comment after comment was yes my entire family, social group, coworkers, everyone had had it in the recent past.  The consensus among them was the same as other reports, no serious but highly contagious.  

What that means for the US sporting product with current protocols?  Lots of cancelations over sniffly physical specimens.  But if the contagiousness is as advertised.  It will roll through very quickly and we will be talking about the next variant before march madness.  

Funny, because I was watching a scientist/doctor/whoever break it down on TV. He basically said those not vaccinated will get it. Not ‘might get it’. ‘Will’ get it. And because it evades much of our immunity, both with vaccinated and natural immunity, are still are at great risk of getting it too. I think the numbers that full vaccination efficacy numbers dropped to around 30%. The efficacy goes up for those recently boosted, though we are not sure by how much yet. 

It looks like it’s going to be a messy January. Hopefully it will go through quickly and hopefully its symptoms are very mild so we can keep the hospitalizations in check. I guess we’ll see……

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 7:57 PM, IUFLA said:

I was gonna say, how can UNC lose that big with all that talent?

They played an up tempo game with a team that plays better up tempo then them. They also don't defend very well and UK obviously was out for blood after an embarrassing loss to ND. Add in a super poor shooting night I think I saw like 1-14 or something from 3 compared to UK was like 6-12...it was just a very very bad playing a team clicking on all cylinders. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think you're right, but my random internet sources on South Africa tell me that large swaths of people there wouldn't go to a hospital even if they were about to die. They also tell me that overall death is up in SA, though it's unclear exactly how much. So, we will have to see what happens in a more westernized country before we can really know. 

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Funny, because I was watching a scientist/doctor/whoever break it down on TV. He basically said those not vaccinated will get it. Not ‘might get it’. ‘Will’ get it. And because it evades much of our immunity, both with vaccinated and natural immunity, are still are at great risk of getting it too. I think the numbers that full vaccination efficacy numbers dropped to around 30%. The efficacy goes up for those recently boosted, though we are not sure by how much yet. 

It looks like it’s going to be a messy January. Hopefully it will go through quickly and hopefully its symptoms are very mild so we can keep the hospitalizations in check. I guess we’ll see……

These chaps or whatever they were calling themselves were saying that them and all their friends had been vaccinated.  Idk.  

I think I have a sinus infection and the doctor wants me to get covid test before I start taking antibiotic.I've been out here for the last two and a half hours trying to get tested. Can't sign up anywhere to get tested CVS Walgreens Walmart Kroger pharmacy you name it nobody has over the counter test or sign up availability.  I give up.  Guess ill get a little bourbon to make a hot tottie so I can sleep tonight 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I think you're right, but my random internet sources on South Africa tell me that large swaths of people there wouldn't go to a hospital even if they were about to die. They also tell me that overall death is up in SA, though it's unclear exactly how much. So, we will have to see what happens in a more westernized country before we can really know. 

Uk ministry of health said most cases mild recently.  

I found this quote a few months ago.  Not a direct shot at anyone but if you prescribe to mainstream media in any format, they make money by manipulation and fear.  Its a fact and they have admitted it.  

img_1_1640036197268.jpg

• Like 3