'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow.  Personally, I think he still has something to prove at the college level.

I don’t know that he has something to prove, he's already highly regarded at the NBA level. 

I just more think he has the luxury to be picky at this point. Obviously it's 'the Lakers', but at the same time where are they going to be a year from now?

If they can't reload around the core (James & Davis), then you could be looking at a complete rebuild. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know that he has something to prove, he's already highly regarded at the NBA level. 

I just more think he has the luxury to be picky at this point. Obviously it's 'the Lakers', but at the same time where are they going to be a year from now?

If they can't reload around the core (James & Davis), then you could be looking at a complete rebuild. 

Highly regarded as...?

I mean, I know he played and I think he was an assistant, but I'm not at all confident that he's a proven commodity as a coach at either level? He's shown he can assemble talent and he's got at least one very good bench coach at UM, but my personal and very unprofessional view is that he's not established as a good coach at the college level yet.  Why do people think he'd make a good NBA coach already?  Surely he's at least something of a risk right now?  Why would LA think he's the best available option?

Not saying you're wrong...maybe I'm just ignorant here, but sell me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Highly regarded as...?

I mean, I know he played and I think he was an assistant, but I'm not at all confident that he's a proven commodity as a coach at either level? He's shown he can assemble talent and he's got at least one very good bench coach at UM, but my personal and very unprofessional view is that he's not established as a good coach at the college level yet.  Why do people think he'd make a good NBA coach already?  Surely he's at least something of a risk right now?  Why would LA think he's the best available option?

i think you hit it on the head as far as I'm concerned...

2 of his 3 Michigan teams haven't met expectations...

And there's always the Martelli factor...

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Highly regarded as...?

He's highly regarded in the NBA. He was basically next up, as far as first-time head coaches, for an NBA head coaching job. He only went to Michigan because of the alma mater piece. 

He was a longtime assistant on one of the most highly regarded staffs (Miami Heat) in the NBA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

He's highly regarded in the NBA. He was basically next up, as far as first-time head coaches, for an NBA head coaching job. He only went to Michigan because of the alma mater piece. 

He was a longtime assistant on one of the most highly regarded staffs (Miami Heat) in the NBA. 

OK, I see what you're saying.  He's still obviously a risk same as any first time HC.  Was he on Spoelstra's staff?  Obviously I don't pay enough attention to the NBA to be real knowledgeable here, but I've seen just enough to feel like Spoelstra is a pretty good coach.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's my take, but I'm willing to acknowledge that the sample size is still too small to make the final call there.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

OK, I see what you're saying.  He's still obviously a risk same as any first time HC.  Was he on Spoelstra's staff?  Obviously I don't pay enough attention to the NBA to be real knowledgeable here, but I've seen just enough to feel like Spoelstra is a pretty good coach.

Yeah, Spoelstra is considered one of the top coaches in the NBA for a long time. 

I guess Howard is no more a risk then anyone else they could get? Unless they can lure somebody like a Nick Nurse out of Toronto simply 'because it's LA.'

You either try a retread or a respected assistant getting their first head coaching shot. 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

That's my take, but I'm willing to acknowledge that the sample size is still too small to make the final call there.

I don’t think NBA people really care about his record at Michigan or whether he arguably hasn't met expectations in 2 of 3 seasons. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I think its just writers getting bored. Hes about to have both of his sons at michigan. Im calling bs

Not saying Howard definitely ends up in LA, and the writer didn't say that either. 

But, this isn't a 'writer getting bored' either. Bulpett has been around the NBA for 30+ years. He goes back to the 80's with the Boston Herald and isn't a guy that just throws crap out there for clicks. 

I worked with him closely for 4-5 years, he's a good, respected reporter. 

But again, that doesn't mean Howard is leaving for the Lakers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, Spoelstra is considered one of the top coaches in the NBA for a long time. 

I guess Howard is no more a risk then anyone else they could get? Unless they can lure somebody like a Nick Nurse out of Toronto simply 'because it's LA.'

You either try a retread or a respected assistant getting their first head coaching shot. 

I thought Nick Nurse was a Stan Lee Marvel character 

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Highly regarded as...?

All former players are highly regarded until they come to college and prove they can't coach.  Cmon man!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Highly regarded as...?

What would it take for Howard to be established as good coach at the college level in your eyes?  

2 hours ago, rico said:

What would it take for Howard to be established as good coach at the college level in your eyes?  

A larger sample size?  I mean, I wasn't really impressed with what he did this last season to be honest...even though he trended up at the end..

...and what @13th&Jackson said as well. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by FKIM01

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

A larger sample size?  I mean, I wasn't really impressed with what he did this last season to be honest...even though he trended up at the end..

...and what @13th&Jackson said as well. 🤣🤣🤣

Fair enough.  Although my feeling is that the Lakers think he has shown his merit.  And that in itself says something.