'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

13 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I can assume that you have spoken to Matta, Lewis and Izzo correct? Otherwise I am not sure how you can say that they had no interest in Fife. The may or may not. The fact he was not hired does not indicate or prove there was no interest. Does not mean there was interest either. A guy that spent 10 years in Michigan that moves his family to Bloomington just might want to wait and be sure the next move is the right move. His wife may or may not want to go back to Michigan St or to have her husband coach at Ball st or Butler.  Maybe he was so bad no team in the country wants to take a look at him. Who knows but I think it's shallow thinking to just assume he is not wanted by those teams because he is not currently on staff. What do I know. I just passive aggressive and not one of the 2 all knowing😀

Two of the three know him very well and the other worked with him very recently. If they wanted to hire him they would have by now. That's not to say Fife wants these jobs, but you're acting like they would love to have him, yet there's little smoke suggesting this. Not trashing Fife, but your story is less plausible than them just not being interested. IMO I think  people (I am not directing this at you) are more sensitive about this situation because of Fife's supposed right leaning politics, DD went out of his way to mentioned CNN in one of his tweets. But this should not be a political issue (like everything else is these days). Sounds like he did some dumb stuff and his supposed friend who's also a "writer" leaked the dumb stuff he did. Is that cool? Nope. But from what I have read/heard from multiple sources with little to gain (don't work for or closely with the school/administration), the information is basically true, albeit most likely dramatized. Point is, I don't think this is another clogging up the crapper story. And once again (also not directed at you) I find it odd that people are ok completely and personally trashing a guy like Hiller who although not be a great coach, seems like a good guy (or at least I haven't read about him backstabbing coaches or offending recruits) but it's not ok to question the character of a former assistant coach/player who made a lot of mistakes in a very short period of time. Most people are not here to smear him. I love(d) Fife as a player, his sense of humor, his stories including the one about his yips, the 2002 team, and that he came back. But it sounds like he made an ass of himself in the short time was here. Like how much do you have to screw up or how bad of a fit do you have to be to get canned by your Alma Mater in less than 12 months after "coming home"? I don't know, but I would guess 95% of us wouldn't get fired that fast. DD and others can make excuses or blame the administration, politics, Woody, Rabjohns, the fit, or whatever, but they also have to look at Fife. I doubt he's turning down a bunch of jobs right now. That being said, I didn't believe the initial rumor of him not getting along with Woody, so he'll probably get hired by Matta or Izzo tomorrow. Good night. Go Hoosiers (including Fife) :) 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 8

That's a pretty well-reasoned post.  I still like Dane and appreciate him as a Hoosier.  That being said, I lean toward the fit not being great for either side.  Sad, but it is what it is.  I believe the culture at IU has changed a fair amount from when Dane was a student and when he came back as a staff member.  Sounds like Dane didn't adjust to it very well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

... Like how much do you have to screw up or how bad of a fit do you have to be to get canned by your Alma Mater in less than 12 months after "coming home"? I don't know, but I would guess 95% of us wouldn't get fired that fast. ... 

Don't underestimate us. I think a lot of us could get fired that fast!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Two of the three know him very well and the other worked with him very recently. If they wanted to hire him they would have by now. That's not to say Fife wants these jobs, but you're acting like they would love to have him, yet there's little smoke suggesting this. Not trashing Fife, but your story is less plausible than them just not being interested. IMO I think  people (I am not directing this at you) are more sensitive about this situation because of Fife's supposed right leaning politics, DD went out of his way to mentioned CNN in one of his tweets. But this should not be a political issue (like everything else is these days). Sounds like he did some dumb stuff and his supposed friend who's also a "writer" leaked the dumb stuff he did. Is that cool? Nope. But from what I have read/heard from multiple sources with little to gain (don't work for or closely with the school/administration), the information is basically true, albeit most likely dramatized. Point is, I don't think this is another clogging up the crapper story. And once again (also not directed at you) I find it odd that people are ok completely and personally trashing a guy like Hiller who although not be a great coach, seems like a good guy (or at least I haven't read about him backstabbing coaches or offending recruits) but it's not ok to question the character of a former assistant coach/player who made a lot of mistakes in a very short period of time. Most people are not here to smear him. I love(d) Fife as a player, his sense of humor, his stories including the one about his yips, the 2002 team, and that he came back. But it sounds like he made an ass of himself in the short time was here. Like how much do you have to screw up or how bad of a fit do you have to be to get canned by your Alma Mater in less than 12 months after "coming home"? I don't know, but I would guess 95% of us wouldn't get fired that fast. DD and others can make excuses or blame the administration, politics, Woody, Rabjohns, the fit, or whatever, but they also have to look at Fife. I doubt he's turning down a bunch of jobs right now. That being said, I didn't believe the initial rumor of him not getting along with Woody, so he'll probably get hired by Matta or Izzo tomorrow. Good night. Go Hoosiers (including Fife) :) 

It sounds like the Fife is a guy who I'd like to hang out with, but I appreciate the company of weird people.  I think that is a compliment and I'd like to think that he'd take that as a compliment. 

That said, from his very first press conference as and assistant so odd, entertaining and off the cuff. And then you have Woody who was all business and calculated with the Media. I remember thinking two things then: 1) Him and Woody seem to be polar opposites. 2) How many head coaches do you see go out there and crack jokes with the media? 

....and then there was the Hoosier Hysterics episode where they snuck into they golf outing at French Lick. The morning of the golf outing they saw Dane walking out of the hotel after everybody else was at their holes for the shotgun start. They gave him a ride to the club house after he slept in. I don't know, it just seemed like such an important alumni event (to which Bob Knight showed up the night prior) and he was late?? A Bob Knight disciple amongst other Bob Knights disciples and he's late? I'd think being on the coaching staff that he'd be considered a host. I definitely don't know the details but I couldn't help but thinking that it wasn't a good look. 

...then you see him completely detached on the bench. 

...and then you hear other players on the team talking glowingly about Ya and Hunter in interviews, but not mention much about Dane unless prodded.....and they give an answer like 'oh yeah, Dane. He's an interesting guy'

This is completely from an outsiders perspective (obviously), but is also why I wasn't exactly surprised when this was announced. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

It sounds like the Fife is a guy who I'd like to hang out with, but I appreciate the company of weird people.  I think that is a compliment and I'd like to think that he'd take that as a compliment. 

That said, from his very first press conference as and assistant so odd, entertaining and off the cuff. And then you have Woody who was all business and calculated with the Media. I remember thinking two things then: 1) Him and Woody seem to be polar opposites. 2) How many head coaches do you see go out there and crack jokes with the media? 

....and then there was the Hoosier Hysterics episode where they snuck into they golf outing at French Lick. The morning of the golf outing they saw Dane walking out of the hotel after everybody else was at their holes for the shotgun start. They gave him a ride to the club house after he slept in. I don't know, it just seemed like such an important alumni event (to which Bob Knight showed up the night prior) and he was late?? A Bob Knight disciple amongst other Bob Knights disciples and he's late? I'd think being on the coaching staff that he'd be considered a host. I definitely don't know the details but I couldn't help but thinking that it wasn't a good look. 

...then you see him completely detached on the bench. 

...and then you hear other players on the team talking glowingly about Ya and Hunter in interviews, but not mention much about Dane unless prodded.....and they give an answer like 'oh yeah, Dane. He's an interesting guy'

This is completely from an outsiders perspective (obviously), but is also why I wasn't exactly surprised when this was announced. 

Of the few Hoosier Hysterics episodes I have listened to, Fife's and Angelo Pizzo's are my favorites. Fife does seem like a few of my friends; sarcastic, a little bit off/weird, dry wit, good story teller, and pretty laid back So I agree with you 100% he would be an interesting person to be friend's with. I couldn't believe him and Woody didn't get along when the rumors started coming out, but then some details started coming out too. I think overall he may have taken the job for granted. But at this point, who really cares. Good luck to him, and I hope he comes back on Hoosier Hysterics, I would give it a listen. :) 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

Hopefully this is the right spot to post. Glad to see Oden join Thad Matta at Butler. It's rare I really pull for people who aren't with us at IU....but I'd love to see Oden make something of his career. He was cheated out of injuries....and some of his personal choices are well known. Really would like to see him climb the coaching ladder. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hopefully this is the right spot to post. Glad to see Oden join Thad Matta at Butler. It's rare I really pull for people who aren't with us at IU....but I'd love to see Oden make something of his career. He was cheated out of injuries....and some of his personal choices are well known. Really would like to see him climb the coaching ladder. 

Any other news about who has joined his staff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Any other news about who has joined his staff?

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Former Ohio St guy Jon Diebler too. We won't be bumping heads much on the recruiting trail and for the first time in my life I'll be cheering for Butler. 

What happened to Dane Fife being a done deal?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

What happened to Dane Fife being a done deal?

No clue on that one. I think Dane needs a year off. Not because of anything that did or didn't happen at IU but from the sounds of things with parents his attention needs to be focused elsewhere. He can come back in a year and I'll always be cheering for him. 

• Like 1

He’s achieved everything he can at the collegiate level. Money is not an issue. He is young enough, and appears to be healthy enough to enjoy a long retirement with his wife, maybe grandkids. 

I also see the changing landscape of college athletics, with NIL and the transfer portal causing multiple coaches like him to reevaluate whether they want to continue 

• Like 6