'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Crazy to think that the smallest thing could have changed his whole path. If Langford doesn’t get injured early on that entire season may have been different. Not a lot of room for error at that level. 

The whole Romeo "era" is surrounded by "what ifs?" for sure.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Crazy to think that the smallest thing could have changed his whole path. If Langford doesn’t get injured early on that entire season may have been different. Not a lot of room for error at that level. 

Agree. This isn't a "wish we still had Archie" post, but you're right that the margin of error is so small. 

If Langford doesn't get hurt and Hunter doesn't get his condition, who knows what happens that year. Also that year, Phinisee missed 2 free throws with a couple seconds left at Iowa, then Bohannon hit a 3 at the buzzer to send it to OT where Iowa won. If Phinisee hits 1 free throw there, IU probably makes the tournament. 

Follow that up with the pandemic year where IU would have made the tournament, and then of the sudden things look a lot different. 

Again, not saying I wish we still had Archie, just saying the difference between getting fired and not is sometimes razor thin, as you said. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, would have loved to see the team with healthy Romeo and Jerome Hunter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. This isn't a "wish we still had Archie" post, but you're right that the margin of error is so small. 

If Langford doesn't get hurt and Hunter doesn't get his condition, who knows what happens that year. Also that year, Phinisee missed 2 free throws with a couple seconds left at Iowa, then Bohannon hit a 3 at the buzzer to send it to OT where Iowa won. If Phinisee hits 1 free throw there, IU probably makes the tournament. 

Follow that up with the pandemic year where IU would have made the tournament, and then of the sudden things look a lot different. 

Again, not saying I wish we still had Archie, just saying the difference between getting fired and not is sometimes razor thin, as you said. 

Damn free throws.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I for one can not stand big ten analyst Dave Revsine. Talks about all of the big teams having close calls. How it was a positive for teams early in the year and then comes to IU and says only won by six and they just expected so much more.  Who expected so much more? Really first year coach new offense new defense. We won you dip shit from Illinois who is also a Northwestern grad. We know most of you talking heads can't stand IU. What a fricking moron. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's tempting to play the 'What if?' game, but the door swings both ways. What about all the shots that did go in that helped secure a win? Phinisee's buzzer beater over Butler in '18, Franklin's shot against Iowa...

Certainly there were other makes/plays that secured a win that weren't as dramatic. But what if they weren't made.

All of those plays aside, the constant that was present was a lack of consistency, preparation, production and swagger. Those elements weren't "coin flips" but rather benchmarks of a team/program that wasn't on an upward trajectory.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

All of those plays aside, the constant that was present was a lack of consistency, preparation, production and swagger. Those elements weren't "coin flips" but rather benchmarks of a team/program that wasn't on an upward trajectory.

And I don't want to live in the past, or put energy into something that already had its time. I'm happy and excited about Coach Woodson and the program that we have now. I'm not questioning the staff's preparation in the slightest. I think we have an inherent level of swagger that's simply part of CMW's persona. The production and consistency are still very much TBD, but it feels like they are aimed towards success rather than the opposite.

• Like 1

Outside of the Big Ten, is there a conference you enjoy watching more than others? 

I've always enjoyed the Big East.  The style of play is appealing to me, and, with no football, their fans are truly passionate about hoops.  Watching Providence vs. Sacred Heart right now on FS1.  Al Durham looking pretty good for the Friars. In just the 10 minutes or so I've watched, it appears the Providence system fits his game well.   

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Outside of the Big Ten, is there a conference you enjoy watching more than others? 

I've always enjoyed the Big East.  The style of play is appealing to me, and, with no football, their fans are truly passionate about hoops.  Watching Providence vs. Sacred Heart right now on FS1.  Al Durham looking pretty good for the Friars. In just the 10 minutes or so I've watched, it appears the Providence system fits his game well.   

Just turned this game on as well. I’ve always enjoyed watching AD and rooted for him a little more than others. Definitely going to watch him when I can at Providence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'd say the old Big East and the ACC. They're both "basketball conferences" IMO. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'd say the old Big East and the ACC. They're both "basketball conferences" IMO. 

Maybe it's the overhype of Duke and North Carolina, but I've soured on the ACC over the last 15 years.  I may actually like the new Big East better than the old.  I really like the no football setup.  I'm not wild about Creighton, DePaul, and Xavier,  but I like Butler and Marquette in the conference.  With UCONN back, the conference is missing Syracuse, Pitt, and Boston College from the mid-80's.   

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Big 12...always a good game on...

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Meh.  Kansas and not much else interests me there.  OK State is okay, I guess.  With the Texas schools, it's all about football.    The 4 new schools don't move the needle for me either.  

There usually a boatload of talent in the Big 12. I think Texas had 7 top 50 and 11 top 80 kids last year when we played them...

How well they were coached is debatable...

Tech was good under Beard...Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma usually field good teams...it's usually good, tough defensive oriented basketball...very physical league...

The old Big East was killer...tough basketball with a lot of chippiness...The newer Big East doesn't do much for me...

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There usually a boatload of talent in the Big 12. I think Texas had 7 top 50 and 11 top 80 kids last year when we played them...

How well they were coached is debatable...

Tech was good under Beard...Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma usually field good teams...it's usually good, tough defensive oriented basketball...very physical league...

The old Big East was killer...tough basketball with a lot of chippiness...The newer Big East doesn't do much for me...

Talent is not the defining thing for me.  It's style of play and the atmosphere.  Other than Kansas and OK State, the atmosphere in the Big 12 is kind of blah.  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I like watching the ACC in the past because it was a free flowing offense.  I also like watching the OBC and the Missouri Valley come tournament time.

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Some hideous 3 point shooting going on nation-wide so far as his season.  Begs the question.  Is the line too deep?  Or, are too many guys that cant shoot it, shooting it?

The game is nothing but lay-ups/dunks and 3-pt shooting with FTs sprinkled in.  I would say it is how most offenses are ran.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

The game is nothing but lay-ups/dunks and 3-pt shooting with FTs sprinkled in.  I would say it is how most offenses are ran.

The NBA has gotten to be unwatchable to me for that very reason.  You can still find a good college game most nights, but that style has made a lot of elite teams painful to watch because their players have NBA aspirations.  As a result, the coaches play the NBA style.  

I just hope Woodson realizes that 4-24 is more indicative of IU's skill set than some random game where we might shoot 12-24.  With our roster, our best chance of success is to go against the grain with the way we play.  

• Like 2