'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

On 12/13/2021 at 1:09 PM, Hoosier82 said:

The AP rankings are bananas. Kentucky, Arkansas and Texas lose to quality opponents on the road and win vs a cupcake…drop 10+ spots. Meanwhile Purdue loses on the road to a 4-4 Rutgers without Baker and need OT to beat NC St and drop 2 spots. Makes zero sense

To Purdue's credit...their resume speaks for itself. Who has UK and the others beat? Fact is they were in their ranking based on assumptions about their programs and how they finished last year and their coaches.....now we see what they really are on the floor....and well there should be a big adjustment....maybe should go even further. There is no doubt despite Purdue's stumble of late they are a top 10 team...and have proved it on the court so far this year in their wins.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

To Purdue's credit...their resume speaks for itself. Who has UK and the others beat? Fact is they were in their ranking based on assumptions about their programs and how they finished last year and their coaches.....now we see what they really are on the floor....and well there should be a big adjustment....maybe should go even further. There is no doubt despite Purdue's stumble of late they are a top 10 team...and have proved it on the court so far this year in their wins.

TBH, I really don't understand why Purdue wasn't the preseason #1?  Hell UK was 9-16 last year and they were #10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t argue that they shouldn’t be top 10 but when other one loss teams drop 12 and they drop 2 it’s a little weird. They were one bucket in regulation away from being the 3rd or 4th team in AP Rankings history to move into the #1 slot only to lose both games the following week. They have two good wins at the moment but if Villanova doesn’t get it together they’re left with UNC. Even Purdue fans were shocked they didn’t drop further 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I don’t argue that they shouldn’t be top 10 but when other one loss teams drop 12 and they drop 2 it’s a little weird. They were one bucket in regulation away from being the 3rd or 4th team in AP Rankings history to move into the #1 slot only to lose both games the following week. They have two good wins at the moment but if Villanova doesn’t get it together they’re left with UNC. Even Purdue fans were shocked they didn’t drop further 

Take it up with the voters.

15 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Then where would you rank them? Personally, I don't care what the score is. Did you find a way to win the game. There are no bad wins and there are no good losses in my book. Dealing with college kids you are going to get many ups and downs. If you find a way to grind out a win when your not focused in and playing well....that is actually a good thing.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Then where would you rank them? Personally, I don't care what the score is. Did you find a way to win the game. There are no bad wins and there are no good losses in my book. Dealing with college kids you are going to get many ups and downs. If you find a way to grind out a win when your not focused in and playing well....that is actually a good thing.

Anywhere from 4-8 would have been appropriate. My original comment was more to the disparity of others dropping 10-12 spots for similar losses versus Purdue’s 2. Dropping only two spots after a loss should be reserved for losses to teams in the top 10, not a Geo Baker-less 4-4 Rutgers team.

In the end, it’ll all work itself out. Just thought it was weird, especially given how Purdue struggled after the loss. 

Edited by Hoosier82
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kentucky/Ohio St off this weekend. Covid issues.

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Calipari avoids an arse kicking...

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep and he knew he was getting one too. Oh well....the NCAA is using summer of 2020 protocols for 2021/2022 sports....makes sense. 

Cal probably looked at the schedule and had his players licking doorknobs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The schedule disruption this season is going to be worse than it was last year.  Better controls in place last season and more transmittable variants.

Yep Cornell University just announced they are shutting down the rest of the semester and going e-learning which is only just for finals at this point. Probably a matter of time before more and more games are getting postponed. Cornell is a full vaccination required school and have had over 900 cases since coming back from Thanksgiving. According to their own lab many of the cases are omicron.  

Covid creeping its way back into our sports life

• Sad 1