'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

6 minutes ago, rico said:

We got games in progress.

LSU up on Illinois St.

UMKC up on Toledo

Was trying to map out the schedule this week and just noticed that. Speaking of schedules what's the appeal of Portland, Oregon for Sparty/Purdue on Thanksgiving? I get Florida/Bahamas,etc....but Oregon for the Holiday?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Was trying to map out the schedule this week and just noticed that. Speaking of schedules what's the appeal of Portland, Oregon for Sparty/Purdue on Thanksgiving? I get Florida/Bahamas,etc....but Oregon for the Holiday?

Turkey dinner + legal cannabis = tryptophan induced coma. Let 'em all get a good rest after the game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Is it just a Nike thing?  I know it's two separate events, the Phil Knight Legacy and PK Invitational.  I can see the allure of it. Good competition in prep for the conference season and few distractions.  Seems more like a business trip than a vacation. Good prep for UNC since they haven't exactly looked very impressive against their cupcakes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What happened to Singleton a top 10 player at UK.  He seems like he is not playing big minutes. Halfway through the second half lady night he had played 8 minutes.

What happened is that you have a talent aggregator who is too lazy to properly scout and think about how the disparate talented pieces might (and might not) mesh together in a team format.  Usually, because of the superior talent he is able to aggregate, they are a good team by February but some years, they are just a dysfunctional mess and get beat by Robert Morris in the NIT.  Some of his talent ends up being overrated and/or a poor fit with the rest of the assembled talent and that might be what you have with Singleton.

I can see why a lot of Kensucky fans are just over Calipari.  I would never want that kind of coach at IU.

• Like 1

I feel like teams are more apt to play some of these tournaments to boost out of conference resume more now. I know there is money involved and these tournaments have existed for a while, but A lot of good teams in them though. The bubble has been so tough in recent years. Playing 2 more decent games out of conference can be the different between making it or not to the big dance. Just an observation. I don’t remember this many good teams in this many preseason tourneys. Could be wrong though 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I feel like teams are more apt to play some of these tournaments to boost out of conference resume more now. I know there is money involved and these tournaments have existed for a while, but A lot of good teams in them though. The bubble has been so tough in recent years. Playing 2 more decent games out of conference can be the different between making it or not to the big dance. Just an observation. I don’t remember this many good teams in this many preseason tourneys. Could be wrong though 🤷🏻‍♂️

NCAA relaxed the rules for playing these tournaments a few years back.  You were allowed to play in 1 every 4(?) years.  They changed it so it didn't take as many years to play in one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Is it just a Nike thing?  I know it's two separate events, the Phil Knight Legacy and PK Invitational.  I can see the allure of it. Good competition in prep for the conference season and few distractions.  Seems more like a business trip than a vacation. Good prep for UNC since they haven't exactly looked very impressive against their cupcakes.

That has to be it. Thanks! Was trying to figure out the connection and forgot about Uncle Phil....

• Haha 1

Joe Girard of Syracuse is fun to watch... He's a pure scorer..

7-10 and 16 points in the 1st vs Richmond...

If you've never read the kids story, he's the leading high school scorer in New York State's history (he passed Lance Stephenson 's record) with 4,763 points (he also threw for almost 7,000 yards as a high school QB). For comparison, Indiana's all time leading high school scorer, Damon Bailey had 3,134 points... 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Joe Girard of Syracuse is fun to watch... He's a pure scorer..

7-10 and 16 points in the 1st vs Richmond...

If you've never read the kids story, he's the leading high school scorer in New York State's history (he passed Lance Stephenson 's record) with 4,763 points (he also threw for almost 7,000 yards as a high school QB). For comparison, Indiana's all time leading high school scorer, Damon Bailey had 3,134 points... 

Did he do that in 4 years because in some states they allow junior high kids to play high school ball.

Edited by IU Scott