IU Football ranked #1

http://powerrankingsguru.com/college-football/strength-of-schedule.php

No surprise here to me. For all the doom and gloomers here, I don't believe this program is ready to handle a schedule like this and come out with a positive record.

For some perspective here on some of the playoff contenders. Michigan State comes in at 40. Oklahoma-57. Oregon-66. Cincinnati-92. 

The schedule has been historically brutal. That being said with 19 returning starters (yes, I realize we lost Penix, Mullin etc) people would be much more positive if we had split with Cincinnati and MSU (both of which could have beaten), beat MD and at least had been remotely competitive with 2 out of 3 of IA, PSU and OSU. 

EDIT: Just looked at Phil Steele, who lists the number of returning starters for every D1 team, and he had IU at 17 returning starters (not 19) with 8 on offense and 9 on defense.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, IU878176 said:

The schedule has been historically brutal. That being said with 19 returning starters (yes, I realize we lost Penix, Mullin etc) people would be much more positive if we had split with Cincinnati and MSU (both of which could have beaten), beat MD and at least had been remotely competitive with 2 out of 3 of IA, PSU and OSU. 

Agree. We had 0 improvement while other teams got better. Thats on coaches.

• Like 1

Years ago, when the Big Ten was about to expand and include Nebraska, the idea of divisions was discussed on our boards. Someone proposed a division that had us, OSU, Michigan, and Penn State. The consensus was if that ever happened, it would be a death knell for our program. It didn't happen at first, but it came to fruition thanks to Rutgers and Maryland. 

Having said that, this season has still been a massive failure largely due to the ineptitude of our coaching staff. We look more like a team that lost 19 starters than a team that returned 19 starters. 

I don't like lamenting the difficultly of the division that we're in. Yes, it's tough. But iron sharpens iron. Either rise to the occasion or don't play at all; no reason to take the easy way out. I actually think we've gotten better as a program because we're in the East and have had to compete with the 'big boys'.

Now, as for the team itself (and what it can control), it has been a massive disappointment because there hasn't been a sense of continuity, growth or improvement from last year, despite the many (apparent) positives going into the season.

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't like lamenting the difficultly of the division that we're in. Yes, it's tough. But iron sharpens iron. Either rise to the occasion or don't play at all; no reason to take the easy way out. I actually think we've gotten better as a program because we're in the East and have had to compete with the 'big boys'.

Now, as for the team itself (and what it can control), it has been a massive disappointment because there hasn't been a sense of continuity, growth or improvement from last year, despite the many (apparent) positives going into the season.

I want in Purdue's division...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Johnson, Johnson, Crider, Whop, Scott. 5 of our better players were gone. 

No idea where someone got 19 returning starters. 

Throw in Penix, Mullen, Fryfogle, Taylor not either being where they were or being injured. 

Yeah

Has Fryfogle been healthy? If so, what happened to him? Expected him to be near the top of best WR’s in the conference. 

In football, especially college, it is all about building momentum.  This schedule never allowed for that to happen, thus it snowballing into the mess it has become.  Look at Penn State's season last year or looking at Michigan State's this year.  It is all about being able to build off the previous week and not lead you off a cliff, but between schedule, injuries, coaching changes, it literally chopped all momentum we had going into the season very swiftly.

To quote Ted Lasso to sum up the season, it's the hope that kills and we needed to be more like goldfish.

Edited by IUALUM03

1 hour ago, IUALUM03 said:

In football, especially college, it is all about building momentum.  This schedule never allowed for that to happen, thus it snowballing into the mess it has become.  Look at Penn State's season last year or looking at Michigan State's this year.  It is all about being able to build off the previous week and not lead you off a cliff, but between schedule, injuries, coaching changes, it literally chopped all momentum we had going into the season very swiftly.

To quote Ted Lasso to sum up the season, it's the hope that kills and we needed to be more like goldfish.

We were like goldfish, we rolled over, died and got flushed down the toilet.  😊

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, btownqb said:

Johnson, Johnson, Crider, Whop, Scott. 5 of our better players were gone. 

No idea where someone got 19 returning starters. 

Throw in Penix, Mullen, Fryfogle, Taylor not either being where they were or being injured. 

Yeah

Just read an article on the internet. Said IU was returning 19 starters. The point really is we had a lot of experience returning and came out at Iowa unprepared! 

Edited by OLDIUFAN