NCAA Weekly Whistle

NCAA has been doing this for football, and it looks like they are going to do it for basketball, too.  I think this would be a good thread to keep track of what the officials are focusing on as the season goes on.

On this initial video, it sounds like the "arm bar" is going to be a big point of emphasis this year.

Here's by and large what I take away: If your man posts you up, you can't really defend him unless you're in the lane, or "close to" the lane, or as they like to refer to it, "the post area," which makes it extremely ambiguous in my opinion.

I hate this rule, and it's going to get abused by officials a lot as the season progresses.  It leaves way too much up to interpretation, and it makes it very hard to play defense effectively if a player posts you up outside the lane.

It seems like every rule change and emphasis makes it harder and harder to play defense; the NCAA definitely wants offense driven games.

Honestly, I don't think any of the plays they highlighted should be fouls at all, and the one where the official says the player "extends the arm bar," I'm not seeing it at all.  

I know I went off on it in my first post, but I think this rule emphasis is trash.  If a guy posts you and starts backing you down, it's kind of an instinctive move to put your arm between you and him.  

I'm interested to see what else they bring out as emphasis as the season goes on.  Every rule change they make/emphasize seems to benefit the offense; it's pretty clear they are trying to "maximize" the entertainment value.

51 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Honestly, I don't think any of the plays they highlighted should be fouls at all, and the one where the official says the player "extends the arm bar," I'm not seeing it at all.  

I know I went off on it in my first post, but I think this rule emphasis is trash.  If a guy posts you and starts backing you down, it's kind of an instinctive move to put your arm between you and him.  

I'm interested to see what else they bring out as emphasis as the season goes on.  Every rule change they make/emphasize seems to benefit the offense; it's pretty clear they are trying to "maximize" the entertainment value.

Or maybe officials could call a few three second lane violations as a way to offset the backing down etc.

A rule that applies differently based on whether you are "approximately" 3 feet outside the lane - what could possibly go wrong?

The foul on the Nevada kid was really remarkable. Both players, including the one who was just fouled, looked at the ref with absolutely no idea why a whistle was just blown. And that's what they pick to exemplify things being done properly. If someone who has spent his entire life playing organized basketball just got fouled without knowing it, you need to rethink that rule.