NIU @ IU Postgame Thread

Reacher

10 hours ago, IUKane21 said:

Someone correct me as I’m sure it’ll come anyways, but I see a young Calbert in Lander, maybe with a quicker first step. 

Get him off the ball with space, in position to pull or drive. Dude could be deadly. He’s not a point. He’s a scorer. Put him in position to do so. 

The similarities I see between the 2

Both from Evansville

Both left handed

Both have a 4 in their number

Both played at IU

Outside of that I don't see it. Not a knock on Lander but CC was very special.  I still expect a lot of great things for KL. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

LOVED having Fisch calling the game while I was watching it. But the drunk uncle running the video camera needs to be relieved of his duties. 

That beatdown felt a lot like the early season beatdowns of long ago. 100% worth the $10 to watch. As much as I loved watching the starters romp, I think I enjoyed watching the bench the most at the end. 

So much to be happy about from last night...

But we're not quite there yet...

Now, I'm not directly comparing this team to the 1975 team, but they did something last night that was typical in most of the 75 teams game...they crushed NIU's spirit in the first 15 minutes with their defense, and from there, the other team simply wanted the game to be over and to get the hell out of AH. If only we had a Steve Green (the most underrated player ever at IU IMHO...God knows what numbers he would have put up with a 3 point line...pretty much automatic from each deep corner)...

And I know he shot the doughnut on offense, but a shout-out to Parker Stewart...the Hankerson kid came in averaging 28 ppg after one game, and left averaging 15.5 ppg with Parker taking him on early and setting the tone...

Love Tamar Bates...the enthusiasm, the way he lets the game come to him, and his defense is really good...stays in front of his guy always...

And it was very cool at the end when they were trying to get Duncomb some points...this team genuinely pulls for each other, and has great chemistry...

Thanks Coach Woody, for putting the fire back in this program...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, IUKane21 said:

Definitely minutes to be had from Galloway. So there is opportunity. Play defense and fill it up…we need a shooter/scorer 

Respectfully disagree. Trey was 33% from 3. Nobody hit more 3's in this game. 8 different players hit a 3, nobody hit 2. 

Trey plays downhill quick. Plays decent (not great) defense. 

You think Lander is playing better than Galloway? (not sure by your post, as it came immediately after comments on Lander, so maybe that wasn't your intent)

2 different coaching staffs have seen Galloway practice and play in games. Both have come to the same conclusion. The kid can play. Not a knock down shooter, but is a threat from almost anywhere on the floor to keep defenses honest.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DWB said:

Respectfully disagree. Trey was 33% from 3. Nobody hit more 3's in this game. 8 different players hit a 3, nobody hit 2. 

Trey plays downhill quick. Plays decent (not great) defense. 

You think Lander is playing better than Galloway? (not sure by your post, as it came immediately after comments on Lander, so maybe that wasn't your intent)

2 different coaching staffs have seen Galloway practice and play in games. Both have come to the same conclusion. The kid can play. Not a knock down shooter, but is a threat from almost anywhere on the floor to keep defenses honest.

I agree with this. If Trey get in the gym and develops a consistent outside shot. I see he him as a huge piece of the IU puzzle. Although I could say the same about Lander just a different style of player. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Now, I'm not directly comparing this team to the 1975 team, but they did something last night that was typical in most of the 75 teams game...they crushed NIU's spirit in the first 15 minutes with their defense, and from there, the other team simply wanted the game to be over and to get the hell out of AH. If only we had a Steve Green (the most underrated player ever at IU IMHO...God knows what numbers he would have put up with a 3 point line...pretty much automatic from each deep corner)...

And I know he shot the doughnut on offense, but a shout-out to Parker Stewart...the Hankerson kid came in averaging 28 ppg after one game, and left averaging 15.5 ppg with Parker taking him on early and setting the tone...

Love Tamar Bates...the enthusiasm, the way he lets the game come to him, and his defense is really good...stays in front of his guy always...

And it was very cool at the end when they were trying to get Duncomb some points...this team genuinely pulls for each other, and has great chemistry...

The crushing of the spirit piece is what I was alluding to about “back in the day wins,” but you said it much better. People hated coming to IU to play and when they stepped ont he floor, we usually made them pay. 

Also, this does seem to be a team that really wants to see each other succeed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

I agree with this. If Trey get in the gym and develops a consistent outside shot. I see he him as a huge piece of the IU puzzle. 

Another poster on BTB indicated that Fife was working with Trey on his shot. I can tell a difference in form this year compared to last. Hopefully, he grows into a consistent 35%+ shooter from deep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Man, you are on to something there! It was really sad to me that Green and Laskowski missed getting a championship. They were a big part of the foundation that kick started the program during the Knight years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Steve Green was the reason I have always had the 75 being better than the 76 team. 

Edited by loviubb
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Man, you are on to something there! It was really sad to me that Green and Laskowski missed getting a championship. They were a big part of the foundation that kick started the program during the Knight years.

33 minutes ago, loviubb said:

Steve Green was the reason I have always had the 75 being better than the 76 team. 

Rewatched the Showtime program "Perfect in 76" this morning...if you guys have never seen it, it's a great program on not only the 76 team, but the 75 team as well...I recorded it and watch it on my DVR every so often...never gets old...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Less Kopp and Stewert and more Lander and Leal please. Especially Leal. 

I mean, I’d think we should give the vets a chance, they’re a known quantity in D1 play. 

However, I do want to see which cream rises to the top and I have high hopes for Lander and Leal. The more of these guys we get more out of, the more fun this is going to be to watch.

19 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

You know what's interesting is NIU beat Washington on the road earlier. Washington being in the PAC-12, I would assume they were no slouch??

Washington was 5-21 last year, and beside being beaten by NIU had a tough time with Northern Arizona (#322 on Kenpom) so they're pretty slouchy :) 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

All the respect in the world....but feel like people online keep bringing this up because of course we can't enjoy a good win.

First...who said he's a 5 star?Second...he's a freshman. Same as Tamar Bates. Minutes earned. 

247 had him listed as a 5 star.....

Khristian Lander, Indiana, Point Guard (247sports.com)

I think there's a lot of programs that could use a 5 star guard, just sayin'.... Of coarse my bias comes from living in E'ville and want to see a hometown kid do well.

And yes, I enjoyed the win

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

247 had him listed as a 5 star.....

Khristian Lander, Indiana, Point Guard (247sports.com)

I think there's a lot of programs that could use a 5 star guard, just sayin'.... Of coarse my bias comes from living in E'ville and want to see a hometown kid do well.

And yes, I enjoyed the win

All good. It just struck me. Are you a Yankees fan because of Donnie Baseball? If so...really cool. Besides my Cubs he was my favorite non Cub of all time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The similarities I see between the 2

Both from Evansville

Both left handed

Both have a 4 in their number

Both played at IU

Outside of that I don't see it. Not a knock on Lander but CC was very special.  I still expect a lot of great things for KL. 

I think you are very generous in finding all of those similarities.  I honestly can't think of two much different players!  Lander is a quick guard who has to be a PG if he has any chance.  Not a good shooter.  Not big.  Calbert had no business being a PG.  Silky smooth.  Good sized wing.  I was so confused how there could be any comparison, but you nailed those 4 things!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

All good. It just struck me. Are you a Yankees fan because of Donnie Baseball? If so...really cool. Besides my Cubs he was my favorite non Cub of all time. 

Not really. I've been a Yankee fan for many years. I'm from upstate New York and growing up, all that was on was Yankee baseball. Guys like Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle and so on. Now having said that, Don Mattingly being a Yankee and a hometown kid, made it all the more sweeter....

• Like 2

Just got done watching it.  Really nothing to complain about.  For those that questions Galloway playing the minutes he does.  I think we can eliminate it being just an Archie thing.  It looks like Woodson likes him on the floor as well.  Both coaching staffs have seen something in his game that they like and feel helps the team.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just got done watching it.  Really nothing to complain about.  For those that questions Galloway playing the minutes he does.  I think we can eliminate it being just an Archie thing.  It looks like Woodson likes him on the floor as well.  Both coaching staffs have seen something in his game that they like and feel helps the team.   

They don't like Galloway because he can't shoot.  But he's got a very high motor and seems to be active in every play.  He's becoming one of my favorite players.  

• Like 4