Rutgers game thread

Bad Brad

2 hours ago, IU247 said:

Well it can’t be worse…so sure safe bet. I ain’t going to lie. Last year looks more and more like a fluke. Covid and empty stadiums and a down year for teams plus we had a hot qb early on in the season. I’m mean these guys are a hot mess right now and I don’t see it getting better.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Every coach not named Allen needs to have their resume updated and ready just in case. No one should be confident in being back next year.

I think it’s safe to say Warren an McCullough are safe. They haven’t been coach of the year candidates, but they get a free pass for next season.

IU’s OC, O-line Coach and Receivers Coach should be looking at for new jobs next year.

• Like 1

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

I think it’s safe to say Warren an McCullough are safe. They haven’t been coach of the year candidates, but they get a free pass for next season.

IU’s OC, O-line Coach and Receivers Coach should be looking at for new jobs next year.

I agree.  I think our backs have been handled really well.  Carr gets what he can with jailbreaks constantly in front of him.  We’ve got a couple of walkons who have contributed.  I do think Spegal showed a glimpse too.  

I don't want to pile on but something went seriously wrong this season. Given what we have seen, I have to believe there are some internal problems that LEO won't fix. There was momentum to build on and now that appears to be completely gone. Accountability starts at the top. We are about to find out what kind of leader CTA is.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree.  I think our backs have been handled really well.  Carr gets what he can with jailbreaks constantly in front of him.  We’ve got a couple of walkons who have contributed.  I do think Spegal showed a glimpse too.  

I have been longing to see Spegal play all year! He comes in and ends up eventually busting through for a 1st down. Watching the game in the spitting snow today was brutal! Offensive play calling continued to be predictable, frustrating and exhausting….

• Like 2

For the future IU needs to schedule 3 home cupcake games and no longer schedule UC or go on the road trip places like W.Kentucky. For the most part we won't compete with teams like OSU, UM, PSU, UW and Iowa.  So we have to be able to compete with rest of the teams in the conference.  I see our ceiling as an 8-4 program but mainly hoping just to get a bowl bid.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For the future IU needs to schedule 3 home cupcake games and no longer schedule UC or go on the road trip places like W.Kentucky. For the most part we won't compete with teams like OSU, UM, PSU, UW and Iowa.  So we have to be able to compete with rest of the teams in the conference.  I see our ceiling as an 8-4 program but mainly hoping just to get a bowl bid.

I’d take that 8/4 season, being in the division were in! We should absolutely schedule cup cakes early! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With Schiano at Rutgers, that game just got much tougher every year too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

This is my blueprint for IU football. Schedule 3 wins in non conference games and win 3 out of Maryland, Rutgers, and a crossover or team that’s down. Compete and knock off a ranked team each year to get to bowl games consistently. 

This is a historically bad program and 4-6 consecutive bowl games would be unprecedented. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

I don't want to pile on but something went seriously wrong this season. Given what we have seen, I have to believe there are some internal problems that LEO won't fix. There was momentum to build on and now that appears to be completely gone. Accountability starts at the top. We are about to find out what kind of leader CTA is.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but Sampson James transferring to Purdue a month before the season started may have been more of a red flag than anyone wanted to realize. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

This is my blueprint for IU football. Schedule 3 wins in non conference games and win 3 out of Maryland, Rutgers, and a crossover or team that’s down. Compete and knock off a ranked team each year to get to bowl games consistently. 

This is a historically bad program and 4-6 consecutive bowl games would be unprecedented. 

I think we can compete with MSU and should have beaten them this year

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

RB coach has highly rated sons committed to IU. He’s not going anywhere 

And he’s the best in the business. People need to realize the defectors in the RB room were never going to make it and while Hart found a gem in Stevie Scott, the rest of his recruits were misses. Deland will turn that room around. Hiller has to go day 1. It’s shocking it hasn’t already happened. Warren next, he’s an absolute liability/in over his head. I think Sheridan gets another year and Wright comes back for sure…Heard? I donno man, his WR room has been a joke. Can’t run crisp routes and get open, Fryfogle leads the conference in drops? I don’t know how you survive that but he’s been around the longest so that may save him. 

Edited by Hoosier82

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

And he’s the best in the business. People need to realize the defectors in the RB room were never going to make it and while Hart found a gem in Stevie Scott, the rest of his recruits were misses. Deland will turn that room around. Hiller has to go day 1. It’s shocking it hasn’t already happened. Warren next, he’s an absolute liability/in over his head. I think Sheridan gets another year and Wright comes back for sure…Heard? I donno man, his WR room has been a joke. Can’t run crisp routes and get open, Fryfogle leads the conference in drops? I don’t know how you survive that but he’s been around the longest so that may save him. 

Sheridan can't be brought back

• Like 1

Defense is fine except for d-line/rush.  Sheridan should be done.  Hiller should have been under the scope after last year. Penix's quick release and arm strength covered up a bad line last year. 

We would have beat Cinci without the bs targeting call against McFadden.   A decent offense beats MSU.  Injuries, a ridiculous schedule, and defeat killed all momentum.   

Coaching changes, the transfer portal, and recruiting hopefully restore our program momentum. I'm pissed,  but we still have some great things to work with if changes are made.  We can't move to the B1G West, so we have to deal with the hand we are dealt.