St Johns Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday, November 17th 9 PM EST

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: FS1

St Johns is 2-0 with wins over Mississippi Valley St (358 which is last in Kenpom ratings) 119-61 and St Peters (174 in KenPom) 91-70

The Red Storm are led by former UAB, Mizzou, and Arkansas head Coach Mike Anderson...He's pretty good with a 404-226 lifetime record and never had a losing season as a D1 coach in 19 years. He's a Nolan Richardson disciple that will press the whole game under the "40 minutes of Hell" concept.

Roster

image.png.62c639c7b3712bf15e5bfa77394ba7f7.png

The Champagnie Kid led the Big East in scoring last year at 19.5 ppg. The Soriano kid is big, but not very mobile, with a decent inside game. Think De'Ron Davis type.

Notice a couple of names from the past...Montez Mathis who transferred in from Rutgers, and former Boilermaker Aaron Wheeler...

They're shooting 48% from 3 as a team, so they can make them...Albeit against lesser competition...I watched about half of the game yesterday against St Peters, and the kid to really watch out for is Tareq Coburn...He can shoot the 3 very well...

Their half court D was nothing to write home about, but they do press the whole game...I see Xavier Johnson and Rob Phinisee as being keys to breaking their pressure and getting some good looks for Stewart and Kopp in transition...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I’m excited about this one!! St. John’s looks lazy on defense! Guard them hard on defense and limit their 3’s we should be fine! 

I wouldn't under estimate their defense. They are quick. Really good on ball defense IMO, and played harder in the St Peters game than we did against NIU.

I think we'll be tested signficantly.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I wouldn't under estimate their defense. They are quick. Really good on ball defense IMO, and played harder in the St Peters game than we did against NIU.

St. Peter’s was terrible.. in my opinion.. their guards were weak with the basketball. Not saying they’re defense isn’t good but I’m not too worried about it but it will be a good test! As long as we do what we need to do we will be fine! 

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

I thought their pressure up the floor was good, but in the half court I thought their defense was mediocre...

Like I said, Xavier Johnson and Rob could be big for us...limit the turnovers and beat that press and we can get some easy ones...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I thought their pressure up the floor was good, but in the half court I thought their defense was mediocre...

Like I said, Xavier Johnson and Rob could be big for us...limit the turnovers and beat that press and we can get some easy ones...

It probably is like playing Iowa back in the day when Tom Davis was the coach.  If their press turns you over it will cause a lot of problems.  If you break the press then it could be a layup line.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Would be a good game for Miller Kopp to get going from 3.   He has been quiet through first 2 games.  

Agreed. But if he's still "cold as ice" from deep, I think Leal deserves a chance to replace him. Kopps defense isn't really that much better than Leal's, and personally, I think Leal is just as good a shooter as Kopp. Leal played pretty well for the 5 min he played in NIU game, except for getting beat once on a back door cut. 

IF Trayce is limited in minutes,or not play, Durr & maybe even Duncomb will get a chance to prove themselves big-time. (no pun intended)

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Is Trayce hurt or something? I hadn't heard anything...

DWB may be referring to an injury report he heard of.  Same info came up over on BTB, but was refuted as being old info.  Same report had a number of SJU players as game time decisions.  No one on BTB heard of any injuries to Trayce, Race, or any of our guys.

• Thanks 1

Gavitt Games per B1G website 

2021 Gavitt Games Schedule:

-November 15th

Providence Friars at Wisconsin Badgers

Illinois Fighting Illini at Marquette Golden Eagles

-November 16th

Seton Hall Pirates at Michigan Wolverines

Creighton Bluejays at Nebraska Cornhuskers

-November 17th

Michigan State Spartans at Butler Bulldogs

St. John’s Red Storm at Indiana Hoosiers

-November 18th

Ohio State Buckeyes at Xavier Musketeers

Rutgers Scarlet Knights at DePaul Blue Demons

• Like 1

So here are the starters for their first 2 games, and I assume for their game with us...

Player                      G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
Julian Champagnie 2 2 24 7 13.5 0.519 3.5 6 0.583 3.5 7.5 0.467 3.5 4 0.875 1 3 4 0 1.5 0.5 1 0.5 21
Posh Alexander 2 2 25 5.5 7.5 0.733 2.5 3 0.833 3 4.5 0.667 1 1 1 1 0.5 1.5 8 2 0.5 3 0.5 15
Joel Soriano 2 2 17 3 5.5 0.545 3 5.5 0.545 0 0   3.5 4 0.875 3.5 5.5 9 1 0 3 1.5 3 9.5
Montez Mathis 2 2 21 2.5 6 0.417 2 4.5 0.444 0.5 1.5 0.333 3.5 3.5 1 1.5 3 4.5 2.5 1.5 0.5 1.5 1.5 9
Stef Smith 2 2 19 2.5 4.5 0.556 2.5 2.5 1 0 2 0 0.5 1 0.5 0 3.5 3.5 2 0 0 1 3 5.5

Champagnie is 6'8 but plays out on the floor for the most part...I was thinking Race draws that assignment

Posh Alexander is 6'0 and their point guard...XJ

Stef Smith is 6'2 Parker?

Mathis is 6'4, so I assume Kopp

And TJD on Soriano...

I wonder if Stewart and/or Kopp are good enough ball handlers to help XJ with the press,,If not, I would think Rob will make an early entrance...

Size advantage for us in the half court though...

And I feel pretty good knowing our 3rd string PG (who I think will see some action) is a pretty good ball handler himself...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Gavitt Games per B1G website 

2021 Gavitt Games Schedule:

-November 15th

Providence Friars at Wisconsin Badgers

Illinois Fighting Illini at Marquette Golden Eagles

-November 16th

Seton Hall Pirates at Michigan Wolverines

Creighton Bluejays at Nebraska Cornhuskers

-November 17th

Michigan State Spartans at Butler Bulldogs

St. John’s Red Storm at Indiana Hoosiers

-November 18th

Ohio State Buckeyes at Xavier Musketeers

Rutgers Scarlet Knights at DePaul Blue Demons

I see Big 10, at worst, going 6-2 with that slate.  No Villanova or UConn.  

• Like 2