St Johns Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

One thing that concerns me about our starting lineup is the lack of quickness. TJD and XJ are pretty much locked in to guarding the opposing center and pg. That leaves us with Kopp, Stewart, and Race to guard 2-4. Race is a great defender but idk if he’ll have the quickness to keep up with Champagnie, who plays like a guard. On the other hand our starters will likely have a height advantage over most teams we play…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

Race is a great defender but idk if he’ll have the quickness to keep up with Champagnie

I kinda questioned that too, but I guess we'll see...St Johns has some good size coming off the bench too in Wheeler, Stanley, and Pinson (freshman)...But if they go that way, I wonder how that affects their ability to press...I didn't see a Scottie Thurman type out there for them in the half I watched...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Champagnie is 6'8 but plays out on the floor for the most part...I was thinking Race draws that assignment

Posh Alexander is 6'0 and their point guard...XJ

Stef Smith is 6'2 Parker?

Mathis is 6'4, so I assume Kopp

And TJD on Soriano...

I wonder if Stewart and/or Kopp are good enough ball handlers to help XJ with the press,,If not, I would think Rob will make an early entrance...

Size advantage for us in the half court though...

And I feel pretty good knowing our 3rd string PG (who I think will see some action) is a pretty good ball handler himself...

I was "hoping" Geronimo would take on Champagnie. Not sure if Race is quick enough laterally to handle him. Or even X on him, and move Rob to Alexander. 

But then again, if our switching defense is working properly, it probably won't matter much how they start out. SJ will be looking for a Champagnie mismatch most of the time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DWB said:

I was "hoping" Geronimo would take on Champagnie. Not sure if Race is quick enough laterally to handle him. Or even X on him, and move Rob to Alexander. 

But then again, if our switching defense is working properly, it probably won't matter much how they start out. SJ will be looking for a Champagnie mismatch most of the time.

In the end it isn't detrimental that someone on their team will score or be the go to guy...if we lock down the others and do our job we should be able to win the game. We just can't let multiple guys have career nights or several guys with great looks and going off on the 3pt line. If a guy gets 20 and we hold everyone else down in the single digits etc...we should still be successful.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, IUFLA said:

When: Wednesday, November 17th 9 PM EST

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: FS1

St Johns is 2-0 with wins over Mississippi Valley St (358 which is last in Kenpom ratings) 119-61 and St Peters (174 in KenPom) 91-70

The Red Storm are led by former UAB, Mizzou, and Arkansas head Coach Mike Anderson...He's pretty good with a 404-226 lifetime record and never had a losing season as a D1 coach in 19 years. He's a Nolan Richardson disciple that will press the whole game under the "40 minutes of Hell" concept.

Roster

image.png.62c639c7b3712bf15e5bfa77394ba7f7.png

The Champagnie Kid led the Big East in scoring last year at 19.5 ppg. The Soriano kid is big, but not very mobile, with a decent inside game. Think De'Ron Davis type.

Notice a couple of names from the past...Montez Mathis who transferred in from Rutgers, and former Boilermaker Aaron Wheeler...

They're shooting 48% from 3 as a team, so they can make them...Albeit against lesser competition...I watched about half of the game yesterday against St Peters, and the kid to really watch out for is Tareq Coburn...He can shoot the 3 very well...

Their half court D was nothing to write home about, but they do press the whole game...I see Xavier Johnson and Rob Phinisee as being keys to breaking their pressure and getting some good looks for Stewart and Kopp in transition...

Granted it's only 2 games and against cupcakes at that, but they appear to have pretty balanced scoring and multiple players that can hurt you. 4 players in double digits, with 3 of those being 15 ppg or more. 3 other players in the 8.5-9.5 ppg range. This will be a good defensive test.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think we win big. Rowdy crowd and our defense is for real. Shooting picks up and The Red Storm get blown out of the Hall. 82-58

16 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Gonna go with a win, but tighter. 

69-64 IU

Have to lean closer to blue on this one lol. We haven't shot well enough to score 82 points....and the way we shoot free throws...it will be closer than it should...