R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Drroogh

Watching the Northwestern game, I had this feeling of 'How nice it is to finally get some respect on the home court from the officials'

The last few years, one of the many things that P..... me off, was how little respect we got on our own home court!

I wonder how many times RMK would have been thrown out if he got that kind of officiating.

I'm now wondering if this perceived respect is it due to the coaches personality, the style of play, or the fact the guys are now putting themselves in position to not foul?

Hopefully the respect continues!!

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Watching the Northwestern game, I had this feeling of 'How nice it is to finally get some respect on the home court from the officials'

The last few years, one of the many things that P..... me off, was how little respect we got on our own home court!

I wonder how many times RMK would have been thrown out if he got that kind of officiating.

I'm now wondering if this perceived respect is it due to the coaches personality, the style of play, or the fact the guys are now putting themselves in position to not foul?

Hopefully the respect continues!!

After Morgan got his second Archie layed into the officials; Crean never really did that. There is a lot to be said for a coach working the officials. 

I hate how officials have such an effect on outcome in college basketball. 

I do think they should increase the foul limit to 6 fouls...like the NBA (I know they are longer games). If you're the NCAA, why would you want to potentially limit the time on the court for the best players. 6 fouls basically gives the refs a free miss...and they consistently miss calls in the wrong direction. So let's throw both them, and the players a bone. And let's not forget, the game is about the players, not the refs. Allow more play!

That's just one of my multiple issues with college basketball. Why is an NBA game 8 minutes longer than a college game (NFL isn't, MLB isn't)? Why is college basketball the only level of basketball in the world that plays 2 halves, and not 4 quarters? Why are there so many fouls called on plays that have no effect on the outcome of the possession? Why do they review a play where the ball maybe, just maybe, slightly grazes the tag on a player's jersey...but you don't ever see a review on a block/charge call, checking if the player was inside, or outside of the circle? We have been hosed on that this year, btw. They check the foot on the line of a 3 pointer. Why do they wait till a certain time to start certain reviews? Every possession counts! Not just the ones under 2 minutes. I seriously despise video reviews, so I am not advocating more...in fact, less...but this just shows how clueless they are in providing the best product.

15 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Why do they review a play where the ball maybe, just maybe, slightly grazes the tag on a player's jersey...but you don't ever see a review on a block/charge call, checking if the player was inside, or outside of the circle? 

I hate the whole idea of the inside arc. How many things is a ref supposed to look at? Now he has to look at the shoes of the defender along with everything else. Absurd. And it changes one of the basic concepts of basketball, IMO. Don't get me started.

1 hour ago, Mac said:

I hate the whole idea of the inside arc. How many things is a ref supposed to look at? Now he has to look at the shoes of the defender along with everything else. Absurd. And it changes one of the basic concepts of basketball, IMO. Don't get me started.

Your point is valid about refs having so many things have to watch, but with that said I think the inside arc has definitely made the college game better. IMO it used to ruin the game when guys would get called for a charge when the defender was literally standing underneath the hoop. 

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as a high school coach, i certainly believe it is an art for a coach.  you have to be on them, but you have to know how to treat each of them.  some have such an ego that you cannot yell at them, you have to schmooze with them and reason with them.  

I learned that most do not have a good sense of humor during the game.  At home in the first half we were called for 13 team fouls to only 2 for our opponents.   I was working them to no avail.  Every foul I was like 8 to 1 9 to 1 etc.  At half time I went to our radio man who is a local eye Dr got his business card and right before second half starts I walk up to the 1 I felt was the worst handed him the card and said he has daily hours til 5.  I took 3 steps heard the whistle and was t'ed up. Guess what the first 6 fouls of the 3rd quarter were on our Opponent.  

Archived