St. John’s Post Game

Inequality

I am so excited about this team and that win. 35 minutes of that game caused nothing but pure optimism IMO. 

Trayce was Trayce tonight, but what I saw at least in some stretches from Bates, Kopp, Lander,  Race, and Geronimo was really encouraging. All five of those guys stepped up in big ways at different stretches with clutch plus and clutch minutes.  

I am as disappointed as anyone that we blew a double digit lead, but we also never gave up the lead and we responded time and time again to every punch we took. We have a lot to learn from a game that we WON. 

Aside from blowing a big deal there are some disappointing specifics that I don’t think need to be hashed out right now, but this team has some serious heart. I don’t know how this season will play out, but I do think this will be a really fun season we will all look back upon very fondly. For the first time in a long time, this feels like Hoosier basketball.

• Like 6

Had to work but listened to the game. I just feel that this game would have been a loss the last few years.  The last 5 minutes of the game was one of the most exciting finishes we have had in the last few years.

I was worried going into the second half because of the last couple of minutes of the first half. Up 12 and Rob missed both free throws and then I think we missed a 3.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Behind Villanova, UConn, and Xavier.

Villanova and UConn both look really good so hard to argue that, but man St. John’s might be right there after that. At least if Champaigne is on like he was tonight, hats off to that kid. 

I believe they split with all three of those teams last year then went out and got better through the portal while keeping their two best players. They’ll be tough. Also, while the “sloppy seconds” chant may have been funny/clever…no doubt it lit a fire in Smith’s a$$.  Maybe we don’t do that anymore. Tired of random guys having career nights against us

I can see a scenario where by the end of the year our we have a tight rotation of:

TJD

Race

Kopp

Bates

X

Lander

Geronimo

Galloway

And we are one of the toughest outs in the country. That’s a lot of really tough basketball players that do a lot of things well. I’m really excited for these next few months. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can see a scenario where by the end of the year our we have a tight rotation of:

TJD

Race

Kopp

Bates

X

Lander

Geronimo

Galloway

And we are one of the toughest outs in the country. That’s a lot of really tough basketball players that do a lot of things well. I’m really excited for these next few months. 

Rob is going to play, you can't just wish him out of the rotation. He's defense is going to be needed. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Ah, certainly a fair point. My bad on missing your point. 

No worries, I certainly didn’t word it as well as I could have. Also, who knows…maybe he pulls a Bohannon and refuses to leave? Hopefully it’s a non issue and he gets back quickly 

Edited by Hoosier82
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He can have a spot role and not be a core part of the rotation. His mindset is better so far this season but the production…

He'll be a part of the rotation.  Now he might not get more than 10 minutes a game if he continues to miss open shots, but I think he'll continue to be the first guard off the bench if he's healthy. He was still very good on defense today. Until Lander can keep his man in front of him, he'll be relegated to spot duty/foul trouble/injury role. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Lander get some more time, but his defense is still very suspect. I hope he sticks with it (IU that is, doesn't pout), because he'll be good once he gets stronger. It was nice to see him finish at the rim. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

The move to put Geronimo in on that last defensive play was a great one. Saw on Twitter that Woodson said his assistants were yelling at him to get him in. 

I do not believe that move would have been made with the old staff.  I dont mean to bash Archie or his staff, I just think that's a kind tactical move we would not have seen. 

To be honest, Geronimo never should have been taken out of the game when he was.  But, props to the assistants for getting Woodson to make the move on the last play.  

Geronimo is our 3rd best player.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Had to work but listened to the game. I just feel that this game would have been a loss the last few years.  The last 5 minutes of the game was one of the most exciting finishes we have had in the last few years.

I was worried going into the second half because of the last couple of minutes of the first half. Up 12 and Rob missed both free throws and then I think we missed a 3.

Consider yourself lucky you got to hear the game being called by Fisch.  Bardo was an absolute train wreck on tv last night.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1