St. John’s Post Game

Inequality

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Geronimo needs to be taking all of Galloway's minutes and sliding over to give Race a break as well. Basically he needs to be in for Kopp/Race whenever either sits....heck I may even say playing the 5 and go small when Trayce get's a breather too over Durr.

Geronimo's handles are the only thing holding his minutes back right now.  That's the number one reason he's not playing in front of Galloway.  He's an asset and a perfect small ball four.  I'm with you though I'd like to see him get some more minutes somewhere probably preferably over kopp, imo. 

1 hour ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Listened to the game on the radio last night but watched the highlights this morning. Completely agree with what your are saying about Rob's shots. When seeing them, I thought everyone of them (including the free throws) where going in and they all where in an out.

Lot's of folks dog him but right now his defense (with limited offense) is a greater asset than Lander's offense (with limited defense) IMO. Lander cannot hang with big strong guards

Lander got completely pushed out of a spot under the basket by a guy 3 to 4 in smaller than him.  

This talk is such fan tall. Coach Woodson is a defense 1st, 2nd and 3rd guy. 

If he does not trust you defensively, your minutes will show that.

When asked about how good Tamar Bates is, he responded by saying (paraphrasing)......he is really good, but we have to get him better defensively.

Rob is tremendous on defense, as is Race.

Geronimo and Lander have a long way to go to reach that level.

As fans, we see a nice play. We see the basketball go through the net. We see a good hustle play.

Coaches see positioning, awareness, help, trust etc.

Lander and Geronimo are great for sparks off the bench. And both will likely develop into real studs (Geronimo is clearly.on that path).

But there is still a gap between them and the older guys. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

No way Geronimo is better than Race at any point this year.

Geronimo played great, and is getting better all the time.

But overall player? Defense, offense, rebounding, positioning  etc.....

It's just not that close right now.

Geronimo playing Race type minutes? Meh, Race is just so much farther along right now.

I am all for Geronimo seeing his minutes go up to 15-20 minutes a day. He is bringing a lot to our team right now. 

This. 

Geronimo is ahead of Race in their second season, and very well may prove he's better than Race was last year, but Race has turned into a stud that I didn't know he could be. 

I'd love to see Race get his perimeter shot going, but his ability to run the floor and push the ball himself this year, as well as the way he is defending, has taken him to a. completely new level. 

Didn't watch the whole game live and had to finishing viewing this morning - thus my late reply.

The entire vibe of how this team plays is miles ahead of what we've seen for quite a while.  The defense is so much more active and dynamic.  Yes, we aren't perfect but I think we can shore it up.  The team seems more active on offense.  If that's because of new players and/or maturing of returnees IDK.

It's only 3 games into the season and Woodson's tenure so I don't know how much we can judge trends in play.  I am concerned about overall poor team FT shooting and a couple of specific player 'habits' that we've seen in the past, but only time will tell.

Finally, was it just me or was Bardo trying to set a new record for the most awful takes in a single game?  Sorry but that guy sucks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Listened to the game on the radio last night but watched the highlights this morning. Completely agree with what your are saying about Rob's shots. When seeing them, I thought everyone of them (including the free throws) where going in and they all where in an out.

Lot's of folks dog him but right now his defense (with limited offense) is a greater asset than Lander's offense (with limited defense) IMO. Lander cannot hang with big strong guards

But hasn't that been true of Rob for years? He has a pretty shot, it just doesn't go in. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Finally, was it just me or was Bardo trying to set a new record for the most awful takes in a single game?  Sorry but that guy sucks.

I've always enjoyed Bardo calling a game (except when he's doing a Whinin' Illini game), but he was terrible last night...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fans are funny.  Both of Robs 3 point looks looked money, just didn't drop.  If that first one goes down, which he has to start making wide open threes, the roof literally explodes off the building.  His one two point attempt, again, has to make the shot.  Him, Kopp, and Stewart are keys to the height of the ceiling of this team.  If the three of them click offensively, the ceiling is removed.

Rob's first half defense was stellar.  Thats as much reason he plays first and above Lander.  And yes Lander needs more run.  He's been solid.  

Anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable with Kopp taking 10 shots?  Those first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half, seemed like Kopp missed about 4 straight.  

Also felt like Stewart sat too long in the 2nd half.  Not sure his foul situation but man I want him on the floor.  Great defense.  Just mature with the ball.  

The Ceiling Is The Roof Speaking GIF - The Ceiling Is The Roof Speaking  Michael Jordan - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But hasn't that been true of Rob for years? He has a pretty shot, it just doesn't go in. 

It sure has. Rob is broken offensively. There is no flow with him running the point. As for Lander he was pretty good defensively last night besides the fouls and the offense was much better. He needs to keep getting minutes in order to develop. You don't develop by sitting on the bench especially when the guy in front of you isn't producing especially against more athletic teams. Rob does fine against slower teams than Saint Johns. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

A lot of great thoughts and I don't mean to bypass them but wanted respond to the bolded, because I keep seeing it posted in various threads.  

XJ is one of our best free throw shooters. Maybe it's because he's not a great 3pt shooter, but it's a misconception that he's not a good free throw shooter. He's a career 75% free throw shooter. Would you like your PG to be closer to 80%+? Sure, but on this team a career 75% free throw shooter is really solid. Kopp is probably the best option, but you also want a ball handler getting the ball there in case the try and trap first before fouling. 

But, XJ is a solid free throw shooter. 

Ok, makes more sense then. Was just basing my opinion off of what he looked like in the game up to that point. Should have dug a little bit first.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Ok, makes more sense then. Was just basing my opinion off of what he looked like in the game up to that point. Should have dug a little bit first.

No worries. A lot of people were posting that sentiment last night, and I had remembered either reading somewhere or during one of the previous games hearing the announcers talk about the fact that his jumper looks odd and isn't great but that his free throw percentage is really solid, so I went and looked it up. 

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Way too many knee jerk reactions from the peanut gallery! He will be fine! Im sure he’s still going through being stripped down, reprogrammed so he can consistently build confidence. He will find a way to earn minutes… As stated numerous times from Coach Fife,….Rob’s his guy and I trust in his abilities as a coach and former player. 

Rob has been awful for 3 years but ok

• Like 1

It was obviously a play designed to get the ball into Johnson which had me scratching my head because I thought he was a poor shooter. Then he missed the first of the two with a shot that was pretty ugly which seemed to confirm what I thought. I had to go look up his career numbers because I was so confused by why they would design a play to inbound the ball to him in that situation. @BGleas is right, X is a pretty good FT shooter. 

Freshman: 75.1% on 6.3 FTA/game

Sophomore: 76.1% on 4.3 FTA/game

Junior: 78.7% on 4.9 FTA/game

His numbers are down this year but it's only 3 games into the season. So the decision to get him the ball makes a lot of sense to me now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I said it in the game thread last night, but Woodson has got to find a way to get Lander real minutes in this cupcake portion of the schedule. 

He cannot got a full game not playing or just playing in garbage time in this portion of the schedule. 

A decision has to be made by the staff, over these next three games, which has the better long term impact on this season and beyond, trying to get Phinisee right (which has been attempted for 3 years) or getting Lander comfortable and growing?

Very difficult to do both because the minutes just aren't there. I'd lean to the latter at this point. 

Love Lander.  Don't think he got enough run last year.  The problem is he can't just can't play very long due to his defense and foul problems.  He's played 13 minutes in 2 games, and he has committed 4 fouls.

Why the hate on RP? For three years he was taught to dribble around the arc while the team is executing an action play. Yeah it bothers me as well. Especially when he overlooks a wide open TJD. Maybe in time he will get past that or even come in as a 2. 

The kid can play defense. Best defending guard on the team IMO. He is super strong for B1G play and has mega hops.

If you watched his high school game any at all you would see he can score. Ehh I think his average was 22ppg?

He has great form on his shot. Huge elevation. They just have not dropped consistently. 

Nvm the fact of being an Indiana kid from cow country that wanted to play ball for IU. Good grief

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

RP brings more to the table as a backup then Lander does. 

KL still got a long way to go. 

100% agree defensively...

And if Rob's head is right, probably offensively too...But the last 2 games Khristian has played much better offensively, and I think held his own on the defensive end...

Coach Woody seems to have been able to "wring the Archie" out of everybody else, but Rob still dribbles too much, dribbles into trouble too much, and can't throw a pea in the ocean from the field or the FT line...

• Like 1

The best thing for Rob is if/when Stewart, Kopp, and to a lesser extent Johnson, find their rhythm and start making shots consistently. That will alleviate any pressure on Phinisee and he'll be able to get better looks as a result.

In previous years RP's shooting was scrutinized because he needed to (partially) fill a void from a team-wide lack of shooting. Yes, he could score in high school, but that was never going to be his role at IU. He's always been billed as a facilitator and game manager first, shooter/scorer second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

100% agree defensively...

And if Rob's head is right, probably offensively too...But the last 2 games Khristian has played much better offensively, and I think held his own on the defensive end...

Coach Woody seems to have been able to "wring the Archie" out of everybody else, but Rob still dribbles too much, dribbles into trouble too much, and can't throw a pea in the ocean from the field or the FT line...

There wasn't enough information from last night to draw that conclusion. The other game was against Northern ILL. 

He committed 3 fouls in 6 mins. That is bad. Shooting wise, they're no different. KL has not shown, at all, the ability to play big mins, especially against any sort of competition. 

Rob simply offers more than KL, right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

RP brings more to the table as a backup then Lander does. 

KL still got a long way to go. 

I agree. My question though is what is more likely or beneficial in the long run in these next cupcake games, trying to get Phinisee right or getting Lander some consistent minutes to see if it "clicks" for him. 

I'm torn, because I believe Lander is pretty overrated but is there potential there, and I agree with you that Phinisee is pretty far ahead currently. But man, Phinisee's weaknesses haven't gotten better in three years, which can be frustrating. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree. My question though is what is more likely or beneficial in the long run in these next cupcake games, trying to get Phinisee right or getting Lander some consistent minutes to see if it "clicks" for him. 

I'm torn, because I believe Lander is pretty overrated but is there potential there, and I agree with you that Phinisee is pretty far ahead currently. But man, Phinisee's weaknesses haven't gotten better in three years, which can be frustrating. 

He is a Senior who has how many games played under his belt and he still cannot finish at the rim, hit his free throws, shoot the 3 consistently or understand he is a better mid range shooter.  Its isn't going to click for Rob.  He is what he is.  Sometimes, potential just doesn't show itself at this level.  He might have been better off going to a less competitive program.  His defense is really important, but he didn't shut down Champagnie last night, no one could to be honest.  

I say you give Lander a long long leash for the next 3 cupcakes, you know what you have in Rob, and see if Lander can move the needle to where we hope it can be.

• Like 2