St. John’s Post Game

Inequality

I think we can all agree that XJ needs to stay out of foul trouble. I think we can/should all agree that this coaching staff knows what they are doing. Keep in mind that this staff is also learning how to work together. There hasn't been a collection of basketball knowledge gathered on this staff since RMK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

That is just it...I want to see what Lander can add.  We already know what we are going to get from Rob.

That's what practice is for. Lander has not earned any more mins than he's getting now, until this point. There's also a distinct reason why we have a "5 star" PG on our roster, yet, are still recruiting guards soooo heavily. 

3 guys that will challenge KL for mins moving forward in the next 2 classes. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's what practice is for. Lander has not earned any more mins than he's getting now, until this point. There's also a distinct reason why we have a "5 star" PG on our roster, yet, are still recruiting guards soooo heavily. 

What about Rob?  Damn, he is/was basically a 3 year starter.  He is what he is and where is he under Woody?  Out of the starting line-up.  You stick with Rob and I will role the dice with KL.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rico said:

What about Rob?  Damn, he is/was basically a 3 year starter.  He is what he is and where is he under Woody?  Out of the starting line-up.  You stick with Rob and I will role the dice with KL.

But unless you have seen it in practice.. KL isn't going to play over Rob just because he's younger. That's how you lose a locker room, real quick. 

Sure if KL goes a shows it in practice.. hes going to get more time. 

Truthfully.. I dont think KL is very good. His ranking was egregious. There I said it. As far as a backup, Rob offers more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I just don't see what Lander adds, at all. I'd say that's truly where I'm coming from. 

I would like to see Lander get 15-20 minutes over the next 3 games to see if he brings anything more than what we can see in the 5 minutes he gets.  We know what Rob brings so if we can spare the minutes for Lander, i don't see how that hurts anything.  Maybe with more time and confidence he blooms.  Maybe he busts and he is what he is.  But he does need to be given an opportunity and the next 3 games are an ideal time to try that.  I wouldn't be saying this if we were in the middle of the B1G season.  If he doesn't show anything then Rob is our only answer and we get what we get with Rob.

One thing to consider about Lander and practice...He's going against two pretty good defensive guards (XJ and RP) DAILY...Playing against those guys in practice, especially considering he's vying for playing time with those same two, can't be anything but good for his development...And Coach Woody has given him a shout out in a few of his interviews...

I'd venture to say that for the most part, Khristian won't be going against defenders of that caliber in the games...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would like to see Lander get 15-20 minutes over the next 3 games to see if he brings anything more than what we can see in the 5 minutes he gets.  We know what Rob brings so if we can spare the minutes for Lander, i don't see how that hurts anything.  Maybe with more time and confidence he blooms.  Maybe he busts and he is what he is.  But he does need to be given an opportunity and the next 3 games are an ideal time to try that.  I wouldn't be saying this if we were in the middle of the B1G season.  If he doesn't show anything then Rob is our only answer and we get what we get with Rob.

That is not how teams do things though. They aren't just going to give him those minutes to... "see what he does." If he gets those minutes he will have earned them. 

This is a heckuva shiny new thing discussion. Just like the QB discussion on the football board. Very knee jerk reactions here after watching KL for 13 total mins vs poorer competition. We saw him for 300 mins last year play very, very poor. 

I agree we need better guards, a lot better guards. That's evident in our recruiting. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That is not how teams do things though. They aren't just going to give him those minutes to... "see what he does." If he gets those minutes he will have earned them. 

This is a heckuva shiny new thing discussion. Just like the QB discussion on the football board. Very knee jerk reactions here after watching KL for 13 total mins vs poorer competition. We saw him for 300 mins last year play very, very poor. 

I agree we need better guards, a lot better guards. That's evident in our recruiting. 

I would like to see Lander’s IQ and skill level with Rob’s build….

• Like 1

One thing that does disturb me a little...

I've seen a website and a video on Youtube say that St Johns was a "statement win." 

St Johns is good, and Champagnie is one of the best players we'll see this year...but they're unranked and picked to finish in the middle of the Bog East (and after watching Seton Hall, Xavier, Marquette, and Providence, that might not be far off...haven't seen the favorite, Villanova, yet)...Statement win? No...Step in the right direction? Absolutely...Syracuse on the road would be another step...But statement win? Again, no...

I think our first chance to make a real statement is Ohio State at home on 1/6...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've seen a website and a video on Youtube say that St Johns was a "statement win." 

St Johns is good, and Champagnie is one of the best players we'll see this year...but they're unranked and picked to finish in the middle of the Bog East (and after watching Seton Hall, Xavier, Marquette, and Providence, that might not be far off...haven't seen the favorite, Villanova, yet)...Statement win? No...Step in the right direction? Absolutely...Syracuse on the road would be another step...But statement win? Again, no...

I think our first chance to make a real statement is Ohio State at home on 1/6...

I viewed the win over the Redmen as a quality win.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm not sure anyone thinks Lander is anything other than a very flawed player at this point, we all get that he was overrated coming in. But the discussion isn't just about Lander, it's also about Rob. 

What has Rob done to say that no one should be given a shot at his minutes? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Not impressed with the Suckeyes at this point.  They looked very average against Xavier.  JMHO   😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Not impressed with the Suckeyes at this point.  They looked very average against Xavier.  JMHO   😊

Like I said in the other Big 10 thread, missing 2 starters (Sueing and Cedric Russell) their 6th man (Seth Towns) and having to play two freshmen (Johnson and Branham) heavy minutes is holding them back...they'll be fine...

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure anyone thinks Lander is anything other than a very flawed player at this point, we all get that he was overrated coming in. But the discussion isn't just about Lander, it's also about Rob. 

What has Rob done to say that no one should be given a shot at his minutes? 

I would essentially argue anyone that has any defensively ability and experience should play above Lander, that so happens to be Rob. 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would essentially argue anyone that has any defensively ability and experience should play above Lander, that so happens to be Rob. 

Depends how much of a blackhole they are on offense. I like Rob, but man 25% from the field, 22% from three, and more turnovers than assists is not good.... Hard for any realistic defensive standard to balance that out. Don't know if Lander would be any better, and in Rob's defense its a small sample size this season... But it's a pretty brutal sample size. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I understand what you're saying, but Rob is so bad on offense. I think trying something else at this point in our schedule is worthwhile and if it doesn't work I don't think you'd struggle to plug Rob back in. 

We know he's going to defend at a high level, we know he's going to bog the offense down. Let's see what Lander can do against some cupcakes as he (hopefully) gains confidence and sees a real, defined role. 

I'm not convinced that'll work, but I don't see the harm at this point. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand what you're saying, but Rob is so bad on offense. I think trying something else at this point in our schedule is worthwhile and if it doesn't work I don't think you'd struggle to plug Rob back in. 

We know he's going to defend at a high level, we know he's going to bog the offense down. Let's see what Lander can do against some cupcakes as he (hopefully) gains confidence and sees a real, defined role. 

I'm not convinced that'll work, but I don't see the harm at this point. 

Greener pastures ahead. 

• Like 1