St. John’s Post Game

Inequality

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The two things I keep coming back to...

Is there a player with Champagnie's size in the Big 10 that is that good of a shot maker? 

Is there a team in the Big 10 that plays multiple defenses and guards as hard as St John's does? 

No and no.

Hopefully come the end of the season this win looks even better.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I can see a scenario where by the end of the year our we have a tight rotation of:

TJD

Race

Kopp

Bates

X

Lander

Geronimo

Galloway

And we are one of the toughest outs in the country. That’s a lot of really tough basketball players that do a lot of things well. I’m really excited for these next few months. 

There's the whole "if if's and buts were candy and nuts..." thing, but man this team has a real chance to have a special season. I'm not saying National Title, etc., but a special season that puts IU on the track to being "back", and being one of the surprise teams around the country. 

If Geronimo, Bates, Lander and Galloway (hopefully he's healty) continue to grow, and if Parker and Kopp can get going, this team can be really, really good. 

Between Stewart and Kopp, they've probably both had about 5-6 3's in the first 3 games that would have blown the lid off Assembly Hall and they just haven't gotten them to drop. 

• Like 3

Geronimo led the team in +/- followed by Rob. It was nice seeing Kopp get going, Bates getting 15 second half minutes, Lander contributing, Geronimo imposing his will and the improvements from Race and Trayce over last year. 

I had a feeling we were going to be in trouble when we couldn't take advantage of the SJ 1st half scoring drought. Didn't crush them and they came back. Energy disappeared in the 2nd half until sparked by the bench. Our bench was the difference and won us the game. 

Another W. Lets keep stacking them up.

• Like 4

We'd love to win every game going away. Something that is nice to see that no matter how it happened...when it's winning time our guys are making the play or stop or whatever at that time when it's needed most. 

Really hoping for good news on Trey but that doesn't sound promising. 

3-0 and we get a chance to collect ourselves a bit these next 3 games...holiday weeks are always weird for players. Campus is empty and it's just them. 

PS....if St. John's is 4th in Big East preseason I'll just say that's going to be a tough conference. Hats off to St. John's for not folding when down 14.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

As mentioned, last year’s team probably would’ve lost this

If you look at close loses early in our schedule from last year...Florida St, Northwestern, Illinois, and Wisconsin were all the same type of game that we let slip away...

Maybe a bit premature to say this, but it's astounding how a coach can change a mindset and have that kind of impact on kids...Coach Woody was a tough minded player, and that's carried on into his coaching...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We'd love to win every game going away. Something that is nice to see that no matter how it happened...when it's winning time our guys are making the play or stop or whatever at that time when it's needed most. 

Really hoping for good news on Trey but that doesn't sound promising. 

3-0 and we get a chance to collect ourselves a bit these next 3 games...holiday weeks are always weird for players. Campus is empty and it's just them. 

PS....if St. John's is 4th in Big East preseason I'll just say that's going to be a tough conference. Hats off to St. John's for not folding when down 14.

Big East smacked 3 of the B1G better teams in the mouth so far

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

3rd best?

X/Race/Trayce seem like the clear cut top 3 to me early 

Xavier need to figure out how to stay on the floor. He had foul trouble in the Bahamas. At least we have 2 backups. I didn't like his foul seeking on that jumper in the second half. We need him to just stay on floor and play smart basketball. He does that and we will go a long way.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

If you look at close loses early in our schedule from last year,,,Florida St, Northwestern, Illinois, and Wisconsin were all the same type of game that we let slip away...

Maybe a bit premature to say this, but it's astounding how a coach can change a mindset and have that kind of impact on kids...Coach Woody was a tough minded player, and that's carried on into his coaching...

Someone said it last night but this team is playing with energy and intensity not seen in several years. I loved Bates and TJD talking trash and flexing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If you look at close loses early in our schedule from last year...Florida St, Northwestern, Illinois, and Wisconsin were all the same type of game that we let slip away...

I was thinking the same thing. I know we've brought in new players, but it's amazing to see how different these teams are. I honestly think the reason why CAM couldn't impose his philosophy is because it seemed to have gone against a player's naturally instinct: looking to the bench for offensive plays rather than just playing ball and finding the open man, second guessing if an open shot is a good shot, not running out on 3 point shooters, etc.. Perhaps that's why those old habits have died hard (and quick). 

Playing with your instincts (rather than against it) has to wonders for a mindset. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Good to be able to learn from a win rather than a loss.  Under the last regime I think IU has 2 losses already.

We lost those games last year for sure...if not in regulation in OT. We just couldn't finish. Don't get me wrong....free throw shooting will be our achilles heel in closing out games if we don't improve but at least we shot the ball decent last night from the field (better than I anticipated). The right guys shot the ball and got to good spots....a lot of ball fakes and step up to 18 feet instead of settling for long 3's.

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Rob P is done. I can’t watch him anymore. He was so bad last night. Bring on Lander. The more comfortable he gets I think he will really shine. Need to get him some minutes before the BIG starts. 

I mentioned this last night in the game thread. Rob was great defensively; he came in with a fire under his ass and made their guards uncomfortable. He was off the floor for a majority of the second half and that is when their guards got their confidence. Coincidence?

I think he just needs to learn his role and stop over dribbling. I mentioned directly above about how most of the players 'shook the Archie out of their system'. Rob still is displaying those bad habits though. He over dribbles or dribbles into tight spots. He makes the game too hard when all he needs to do is pass the ball. We need him to bring the ball up the floor, pass it and then play off the ball. I really think he can be so much more effective that way. 

• Like 6

Just now, BGleas said:

I said it in the game thread last night, but Woodson has got to find a way to get Lander real minutes in this cupcake portion of the schedule. 

He cannot got a full game not playing or just playing in garbage time in this portion of the schedule. 

A decision has to be made by the staff, over these next three games, which has the better long term impact on this season and beyond, trying to get Phinisee right (which has been attempted for 3 years) or getting Lander comfortable and growing?

Very difficult to do both because the minutes just aren't there. I'd lean to the latter at this point. 

Rob just has 1 gear....and don't get me wrong...he takes good care of the ball and plays hard nosed defense....but he is like watching paint dry on offense. I don't think it's his fault..and I think he feels more relaxed on the court this year....but gosh 3 years under Archie is just so hard to get out of...he is still hesitant and cautious. It's just ingrained in him at this point. Lander is naturally a free player....it can bite us and needs reigned in at times...but he is like a colt that still needs a little breaking in....I think Woody will get to him and by the end of the year he will contribute as he did for that nice stretch last night.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I said it in the game thread last night, but Woodson has got to find a way to get Lander real minutes in this cupcake portion of the schedule. 

He cannot got a full game not playing or just playing in garbage time in this portion of the schedule. 

A decision has to be made by the staff, over these next three games, which has the better long term impact on this season and beyond, trying to get Phinisee right (which has been attempted for 3 years) or getting Lander comfortable and growing?

Very difficult to do both because the minutes just aren't there. I'd lean to the latter at this point. 

I agree.  An upperclassman has to be better than an underclassman.  If not, I go with the youth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We have gave Rob chance after chance for 3 years I’m over it. There is no fixing it. It’s who he is. 
Lander has WAY higher ceiling. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I mentioned this last night in the game thread. Rob was great defensively; he came in with a fire under his ass and made their guards uncomfortable. He was off the floor for a majority of the second half and that is when their guards got their confidence. Coincidence?

I think he just needs to learn his role and stop over dribbling. I mentioned directly above about how most of the players 'shook the Archie out of their system'. Rob still is displaying those bad habits though. He over dribbles or dribbles into tight spots. He makes the game too hard when all he needs to do is pass the ball. We need him to bring the ball up the floor, pass it and then play off the ball. I really think he can be so much more effective that way. 

I agree, except in the 2nd half when he did play, he got taken to the rim and scored on a couple of times...That's why I thought maybe there was some credence to the calf issue...or maybe Coach Woody is true to his word and will show you the bench if you're not playing well and the calf thing was simply for public consumption...