Any word about Galloway?

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Post game thread had a mention of a possible break. I'd imagine we should hear something more soon.

He didn't have it wrapped like it was a break....but most definitely a sprain....same wrist as he has had trouble with in the past correct?? Sucks for him! Lander/Leal need to be ready to step up their game. I was pleasantly surprised Lander stayed under control last night. Still needs to take it on himself to take more pride in his defense but he played well when he was out there. With the reckless abandon that Johnson plays with...he will be needed this year.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He didn't have it wrapped like it was a break....but most definitely a sprain....same wrist as he has had trouble with in the past correct?? Sucks for him! Lander/Leal need to be ready to step up their game. I was pleasantly surprised Lander stayed under control last night. Still needs to take it on himself to take more pride in his defense but he played well when he was out there. With the reckless abandon that Johnson plays with...he will be needed this year.

Was he on the bench at the end? Figured they would’ve taken him immediately for x rays if it was broke 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I was pleasantly surprised Lander stayed under control last night. Still needs to take it on himself to take more pride in his defense but he played well when he was out there. With the reckless abandon that Johnson plays with...he will be needed this year.

He was actually manning up on D last night...He got 2 quick fouls, but I think any deficiencies in his defensive game are more a condition of his physical stature rather than effort or determination...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He was actually manning up on D last night...He got 2 quick fouls, but I think any deficiencies in his defensive game are more a condition of his physical stature rather than effort or determination...

I thought he looked bigger this year. He has been workign in the weight room for sure and is coming into his body. No my issue is he doesn't move his feet, anticipate screens and fight to get through and beat his man to the spot. He isn't lazy like he was last year...but he is still just a step slow to react....defense is just so much a mindset for an athlete of his ability....he really has no excuse because he ABSOLUTELY should be on the floor over Phinese if he would have the same mindset about defense as Rob has. Don't get me wrong it was somewhat better but he is still trying to defend with his hands and not his feet.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree. I thought he had difficulty adjusting to the physicality at first, and that caused the fouls. Once he settled in, i thought he was excellent on both sides last night.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I thought he looked bigger this year. He has been workign in the weight room for sure and is coming into his body. No my issue is he doesn't move his feet, anticipate screens and fight to get through and beat his man to the spot. He isn't lazy like he was last year...but he is still just a step slow to react....defense is just so much a mindset for an athlete of his ability....he really has no excuse because he ABSOLUTELY should be on the floor over Phinese if he would have the same mindset about defense as Rob has. Don't get me wrong it was somewhat better but he is still trying to defend with his hands and not his feet.

I thought he moved his feet very well last night...the second foul, he had his belly button right on the guys hip...he just got called for being too physical (which in and of itself is an improvement)...

I didn't notice his defense on screens, but I have it recorded and was going to watch at least parts of it this afternoon...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought he moved his feet very well last night...the second foul, he had his belly button right on the guys hip...he just got called for being too physical (which in and of itself is an improvement)...

I didn't notice his defense on screens, but I have it recorded and was going to watch at least parts of it this afternoon...

He let his man get too deep into the lane a couple of times and didn't fight through as well as I would like to see. Also was a little slow to move his feet and cut off drives and gave his opponent the angle....just a hair more effort and anticipation with his feet and he is there. Not far off....not nearly as bad as last year...but it's the difference between him and Rob on the defensive end...because if he could basically give us more of Rob's defense....we wouldn't even be discussing playing time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh wow!! That sucks! Redshirt year I guess.  Leal, Lander, Geronimo will have a huge opportunity to pick up minutes....step up boys!

January 13th is 8 weeks from today (and I would assume a 6-8 week recovery)...We play at Iowa on that date, and have 14 Big 10 games after that...7 against currently ranked teams...Do you think he'll redshirt? Might need him down the stretch...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

January 13th is 8 weeks from today (and I would assume a 6-8 week recovery)...We play at Iowa on that date, and have 14 Big 10 games after that...7 against currently ranked teams...Do you think he'll redshirt? Might need him down the stretch...

No doubt we evaluate the situation when we get there. I mean he already has a redshirt from last year so it might not be necessary. Problem is it's his shooting hand correct??? The one he already had an issue with in HS....and his shooting was already shakey at best...not sure how much he can help after missing that much time and to just jump right back into B1G competition. Would hope by that point someone has stepped up to take those minutes and make them their own. (Looking at you Leal)

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

No doubt we evaluate the situation when we get there. I mean he already has a redshirt from last year so it might not be necessary. Problem is it's his shooting hand correct??? The one he already had an issue with in HS....and his shooting was already shakey at best...not sure how much he can help after missing that much time and to just jump right back into B1G competition. Would hope by that point someone has stepped up to take those minutes and make them their own. (Looking at you Leal)

Yeah, I do believe it was his right hand/wrist...

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

No sense in starting a new thread.  

Did anyone else think the flagrant 2 was overkill?  I thought the arm pull was going to warrant to 1.  Wondering if the fact that Galloway was looking like a done for game if that lead to the stiffer penalty?

I thought the pull made it a 2...If Mathias had just hit the arm hard, that would have been a 1 or possibly even just a common foul...

• Like 3

I thought the hooking of Trey's arm would have been an F1. But the continued pulling and follow thru (read throw) of the hook to the ground elevated it to an F2 IMO. Glad the guy got tossed. No place for this type of intentional foul in CBB. Wack at the shooting arm...maybe...but a hook and pull it down to the ground, no thank you.

Edited by DWB

What's overshadowed by Galloway's injury is the heads up play that initiated it. His awareness and anticipation to steal the inbounds pass was exactly what we IU fans love to see. That high level basketball IQ will be missed as much as anything else and it sucks...

Hoping for a smooth recovery. His ceiling is so intriguing.

• Like 8