Any word about Galloway?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I thought the pull made it a 2...If Mathias had just hit the arm hard, that would have been a 1 or possibly even just a common foul...

That was my take on it. The fact that he grabbed and then pulled down made it much worse and showed an intention. Without that it's probably not even a 1.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Mom is pretty active on social media. No harm in that I guess. Sucks for Trey. 6 weeks out puts us around first of year. Getting back into shape, earning minutes...my guess is late January before we see the Trey we know. Tough one for sure. Lucky the bench is deep.

He should be able to stay in pretty good shape with respect to conditioning since it's his arm and not a leg or back. His shooting will be rusty and even worse than usual, though. 

• Haha 1

I am not being serious, but how interesting would it be if we had this rule in all sports.  You commit a flagrant foul, however it is defined, where there is a level of intent, and the other player gets hurt.  You're out as long as the other player is out.  

You are a pitcher and you get in a beanball war and you hit a batter and break his hand.  He's out two months, so you are out two months. 

In football, you go in helmet to helmet and the concussed guy is out six weeks.  You are out six weeks.

In basketball, you grab a kid's arm and toss him to the floor, breaking his wrist.  He is out two months, you are out two months.

No, it will never happen.  It's just a fantastical idea that pops into my head.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am not being serious, but how interesting would it be if we had this rule in all sports.  You commit a flagrant foul, however it is defined, where there is a level of intent, and the other player gets hurt.  You're out as long as the other player is out.  

You are a pitcher and you get in a beanball war and you hit a batter and break his hand.  He's out two months, so you are out two months. 

In football, you go in helmet to helmet and the concussed guy is out six weeks.  You are out six weeks.

In basketball, you grab a kid's arm and toss him to the floor, breaking his wrist.  He is out two months, you are out two months.

What happens in the real world if you  hurt someone on purpose...pretty bad penalty for that,,, just cause on a hardwood floor shouldn't make a difference...

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Who is the judge of intent?  NCAA, B1G, officials?  These guys are bad enough as is.  

I don't like Mathis.  But flying in the air, imo, it looked reactionary to grab and try and maintain a sense of balance in  the fall.  But i have no remorse in the call because i remember him being sort of a punk and trying to get into guys so karma worked itself out with the ejection.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

31 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Who is the judge of intent?  NCAA, B1G, officials?  These guys are bad enough as is.  

I don't like Mathis.  But flying in the air, imo, it looked reactionary to grab and try and maintain a sense of balance in  the fall.  But i have no remorse in the call because i remember him being sort of a punk and trying to get into guys so karma worked itself out with the ejection.  

I don’t know if liked the call or not. I don’t think the play started intentionally, but it ended intentionally … if that makes sense. Because of that I THINK I agree with the ejection.

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t know if liked the call or not. I don’t think the play started intentionally, but it ended intentionally … if that makes sense. Because of that I THINK I agree with the ejection.

I didn't think they were going to eject him, but once they did i agreed with it. 

It wasn't the foul itself, it was how he yanked Galloway down while he was at the peak of his jump. 

That's the equivalent of taking off the head of a defensiveness receiver in football. You just don't do that in basketball to a guy in mid-air. Really dirty play. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

I didn't think they were going to eject him, but once they did i agreed with it. 

It wasn't the foul itself, it was how he yanked Galloway down while he was at the peak of his jump. 

That's the equivalent of taking off the head of a defensiveness receiver in football. You just don't do that in basketball to a guy in mid-air. Really dirty play. 

I'm always cautious to assign intent to an action. I thought it looked bad on the slow motion, close up replay. But in real time with to players going in different directions, I'm not sure he intended to pull Galloway down. Only he knows. I think it was the right call, just not sure if there was malicious intent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cthomas said:

But in real time with to players going in different directions, I'm not sure he intended to pull Galloway down. Only he knows. I think it was the right call, just not sure if there was malicious intent.

No doubt in my mind. He not only hit the shooting arm (all that was required) but he hooked the arm and pulled it down. It was malicious, not just a hard foul. My 2¢.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cthomas said:

I'm always cautious to assign intent to an action. I thought it looked bad on the slow motion, close up replay. But in real time with to players going in different directions, I'm not sure he intended to pull Galloway down. Only he knows. I think it was the right call, just not sure if there was malicious intent.

As @DWB said, the guy hooked Galloway's arm and yanked down while Galloway was in mid air.

I'm sure his intent wasn't to break his wrist, but I don't think intent matters at that point, the act was extremely dangerous and reckless. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As @DWB said, the guy hooked Galloway's arm and yanked down while Galloway was in mid air.

I'm sure his intent wasn't to break his wrist, but I don't think intent matters at that point, the act was extremely dangerous and reckless. 

Yeah, i agree.  Don't think there was intent.  Just breaking his own fall.  It was wreckless, Mathis put both of them in compromising positions, Trey got seriously injured.  I thought Trey hit his head at first look.  

Hoping Trey heals quickly.  Thankfully his off hand.  He can still move and keep conditioning and probably start shooting a little before too long.  In the end, no head injury and not a major set back.  If Mathis pulls some crap like that again, his coach may need to sit him personally.  

• Like 1