IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

43 minutes ago, Pudman said:

Perhaps this might be a good thread to add this to, or perhaps not. I'll let the mods decide.

I got curious the other day about where the players have been taking their shots on the court. My curiosity was sparked when someone was chatting about where PS tends to take his shots, and how he rarely, if ever, drives. So, I found a dataset on Sportsradar that has play-by-play data for every game any includes x/y coordinates. Using that dataset, I put together this dashboard of player shot selection, type, and where the shots are taken on the court. 

Let me know what you all think! https://public.tableau.com/views/IUMBB20212022ShotChart/Dashboard1?:language=en-US&:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link

I thought it would be fun to put this together, since winter break between semesters is long and I need something to do. Plus, it could be fun to have my students create this in a data viz class I teach.

That's great work - thank you.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pudman said:

Perhaps this might be a good thread to add this to, or perhaps not. I'll let the mods decide.

I got curious the other day about where the players have been taking their shots on the court. My curiosity was sparked when someone was chatting about where PS tends to take his shots, and how he rarely, if ever, drives. So, I found a dataset on Sportsradar that has play-by-play data for every game any includes x/y coordinates. Using that dataset, I put together this dashboard of player shot selection, type, and where the shots are taken on the court. 

Let me know what you all think! https://public.tableau.com/views/IUMBB20212022ShotChart/Dashboard1?:language=en-US&:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link

I thought it would be fun to put this together, since winter break between semesters is long and I need something to do. Plus, it could be fun to have my students create this in a data viz class I teach.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

That's great work - thank you.

I agree...I love how all the makes and misses are labeled by player as well.  Be careful...Woodson may hire you!

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I agree...I love how all the makes and misses are labeled by player as well.  Be careful...Woodson may hire you!

Glad you liked it! I should have asked Coach Woodson when I saw him at Bloomingfoods the other day! But, nah...I think I like being a faculty member and teaching too much. But, perhaps he'll hire my students!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pudman said:

Glad you liked it! I should have asked Coach Woodson when I saw him at Bloomingfoods the other day! But, nah...I think I like being a faculty member and teaching too much. But, perhaps he'll hire my students!

It's really well done.  If I'm Woody, I look at that and tell Rob and Race they cannot shoot from the top corners of the free throw lane. 🤣

• Haha 1

Something I’ve noticed the last two games, is XJohnson comes out in the second half and plays really fast an out of control. In the OSU game in came out and took the first 6 shots he was 0/6. Against Minn. he did the samething and again he was o/ what ever it was. 

Coach took him out guicker this time and he seemed to settle down and played better 

, but just like OSU we gave up our lead. He really needs to play under control when we got the lead and keep the team scoring on good shots. Not quick crap shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Something I’ve noticed the last two games, is XJohnson comes out in the second half and plays really fast an out of control. In the OSU game in came out and took the first 6 shots he was 0/6. Against Minn. he did the samething and again he was o/ what ever it was. 

Coach took him out guicker this time and he seemed to settle down and played better 

, but just like OSU we gave up our lead. He really needs to play under control when we got the lead and keep the team scoring on good shots. Not quick crap shots.

The whole team fell in love with the 3...they were all taking quick/bad shots. Along with some defensive break downs and it was a horrible start. Lucky enough that Minnesota lacks talent across the board...we finally clamped down on their two main threats and was able to extend the lead back out...but it just shows how fast a lead can get away. We've now had two leads get cut down with big runs back to back games with OSU/MIN and I like how we have responded and stretched it back out both games. After the Wisconsin melt down we really seem to have grown up a bit.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Interesting data on XJ and Phinisee playing together. Would love to see these numbers again in a couple weeks with Galloway added as well. 

XJ and Phinisee playing together seems to be working really well. 

1.07 for our O with those two on the court and .79 for our D with those two on the court? Is that what I'm readying? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Interesting data on XJ and Phinisee playing together. Would love to see these numbers again in a couple weeks with Galloway added as well. 

Throw Galloway out there with those two and the perimeter defense gets really strong.  Add Davis and Thompson and that’s a tuff group to score against. Phinisee has to knock down some 3s in that line up and they need to get out and run to score hit I really like that unit in the floor together 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yup. Our best O with our best D, and that defense is off the charts good. 

So, every time down the court, on average we "gain" .28 points when these two are on the court together. On average, we are ahead by 1 point, basically, after 3 possessions per each team. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

This is excellent use of analytics. That is some fantastic stats right there for those two. It is also why PG is such an IMPORTANT position to get right. I'm not saying we have it solved or have the best point guards in the conference or they couldn't play even better but this is why a kid like Lander doesn't see much of the court. When you have two high level defenders ahead of you...you can't afford to take your foot off the gas. Combine that with a game like yesterday where they were even giving us some big offensive contributions from 3 etc and that is even bigger. Point guard is the tip of the spear....you control/win that battle and you are going to have a real good chance to win the war each and every night.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Looking further, our starting point guard...

34.4% 3pt (respectable)

5.8 assists/2.8 turnover

High level defense

Competitive

Yeah, there are flaws. But this is a huge upgrade from recent years gang.

We need to appreciate X a little more than we do.

Where'd you get those numbers? Here is what I grabbed from sports reference. 

Either way, I completely agree with you. He adds value, not perfect. He should be valued more. 

2021-22 Indiana   15 15 24.0 3.1 7.5 .420 2.4 5.3 .450 0.7 2.1 .344 2.7 3.9 .695 0.5 3.3 3.7 4.2 1.0 0.1 2.2 2.7 9.7   1.38