IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

I don't want to start a new thread, but I think it obvious Coach Woodson is home and is fully intending on rebuilding this program 

I think Coach Woodson has things left to accomplish.  A conference championship at IU and hang #6. I get the impression he's on a mission  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

Just running some #s this morning-

Race is avg 12p 8r in conference games. Shooting 52% from the field. He avged 9p 6r in conference play last season. Race's shooting splits in conference last season 50/18/63 vs. this season 52/29/79. 

XJ is avg in the last 4 games- 15ppg 6apg 4rpg 2spg. His A/T is 3:1. He is shooting 45% from 3. His overall shooting % was down some because of the Maryland game. He has played the best 4 game stretch of PG play we have had, easily, since Yogi. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe someone will start a new thread but sad to see Chuck Crabb announce his retirement.

Oh man.  I knew this day would eventually come, but that is going to be a huge transition not hearing him at SSAH.  He has had that gig my whole life.  

I'm so glad I have tickets for the last home game this year.  

Edit:  I just saw this was effective immediately.  Wow.   I hope there he is okay.

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 3

I hope they don't ranked us all year, btw. Quite honestly I think it's absurd that we aren't thought of, currently, as a top 25 team. Allegedly those are suppose to be where you are "right now" and not a power ranking of the whole season. Different voters rank teams differently. 

I also think they give extra points to non conference "marquee" wins, then they do in conference "marquee" wins. Why does OSU still get bonus points for beating Duke, but our win vs. Purdue is basically like meh. Makes no sense, ours was way more recent. Idk the polls are terrible, as are sports writers. 

If anyone can come up with an argument to support Texas being ranked and Indiana not being ranked, I'm all ears. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I hope they don't ranked us all year, btw. Quite honestly I think it's absurd that we aren't thought of, currently, as a top 25 team. Allegedly those are suppose to be where you are "right now" and not a power ranking of the whole season. Different voters rank teams differently. 

I also think they give extra points to non conference "marquee" wins, then they do in conference "marquee" wins. Why does OSU still get bonus points for beating Duke, but our win vs. Purdue is basically like meh. Makes no sense, ours was way more recent. Idk the polls are terrible, as are sports writers. 

If anyone can come up with an argument to support Texas being ranked and Indiana not being ranked, I'm all ears. 

Texas hasn’t beat anybody close to what IU has. Purdue and OSU wins are better than the Tennessee win and TCU win. Stanford win by Texas in December not bad. But Iu win over Irish about the same. It’s not even close. Tennessee has some nice wins and is still ranked but are the Arizona wins and LSU wins any better than Purdue and Osu.  The early wins over ranked teams still seem to carry a lot of weight. If IU started out ranked we would still be ranked. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

I dont really know why, but i tend to go by KenPom rankings more than the others. Although it would be nice to see        #___ Indiana on the bottom ticker of espn or during a game.

KenPom has us at 25 right now. 

So, I was going to type out this long message... but this link 

https://bracketeer.org/inside-the-bracket/2022/1/31/bracketology-big-board-013122 

Should do it. I usually think of teams as tiered. This graph has a larger first tier then I had typed out, but my 3rd tier had more teams. Fwiw, in "my" thinking we were a 3rd tier team which included teams rated 20th-35th. This graph has us 26th, which is absolutely fair. 

• Like 4

On 1/29/2022 at 11:25 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I don't want to start a new thread, but I think it obvious Coach Woodson is home and is fully intending on rebuilding this program 

I think Coach Woodson has things left to accomplish.  A conference championship at IU and hang #6. I get the impression he's on a mission  

Woody has a Leonard Hamilton vibe to him....I think he will do very well on his mission. Kids want to play for him...and they play hard. A NC is a very very tall task....so hard to do...but certainly should get us in the place were we can be considered to win one....and that's about all you can ask.

• Like 1

The reason we aren't ranked is because we started out that way....and we haven't gotten on a roll. I guarantee had we beat Michigan last week we would be ranked. We need like a 3-4 game winning streak with a ranked opponent in there. Problem is when we do get a signature win like OSU/PU we blow it with a loss and kill any momentum in the writers eyes. They don't know who we are....they know we are dangerous but not consistent. It's much harder to get in then to stay in. Once you break the top 20 you have to lose multiple games in a row to fall out...and we also haven't done that either. We just started to low and haven't put together 1-2 weeks of consistent winning....but we are very close now. Beat ILL and then the polls would come out after a big win and a nice stretch for us. We just need that winning taste in their mouth before they vote....like two weeks ago leaving that Michigan game the last thing they saw they forgot all about the good wins of Neb and Purdue back to back without Trayce basically for most of both. They would love to have us going into that MSU game with both of us ranked if they could....ILL is key. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

The reason we aren't ranked is because we started out that way....and we haven't gotten on a roll. I guarantee had we beat Michigan last week we would be ranked. We need like a 3-4 game winning streak with a ranked opponent in there. Problem is when we do get a signature win like OSU/PU we blow it with a loss and kill any momentum in the writers eyes. They don't know who we are....they know we are dangerous but not consistent. It's much harder to get in then to stay in. Once you break the top 20 you have to lose multiple games in a row to fall out...and we also haven't done that either. We just started to low and haven't put together 1-2 weeks of consistent winning....but we are very close now. Beat ILL and then the polls would come out after a big win and a nice stretch for us. We just need that winning taste in their mouth before they vote....like two weeks ago leaving that Michigan game the last thing they saw they forgot all about the good wins of Neb and Purdue back to back without Trayce basically for most of both. They would love to have us going into that MSU game with both of us ranked if they could....ILL is key. 

I think our strength of schedule has hurt us, too.  Fewer opportunities to make some noise.

Although I felt that we should be ranked if we would've beaten UM,  I doubt now that that would've happened had we won..

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

This seemed an appropriate place to put this.

All five players have been reinstated and will be available for the MSU game.  Per the Indy Star.

So, about those marijuana rumors…

Not sure it acquits them.  3 game suspensions are for failing a test.  Suspicion of use because of the smell when you walk into a hotel lobby likely falls more under coach's judgement.  Too much noise about the weed use for me to believe there isn't something to it.  

That said, the biggest takeaway I have from the whole episode is how differently the players handled it.  there seems to be universal agreement that some handle the suspension better than others.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Not sure it acquits them.  3 game suspensions are for failing a test.  Suspicion of use because of the smell when you walk into a hotel lobby likely falls more under coach's judgement.  Too much noise about the weed use for me to believe there isn't something to it.  

That said, the biggest takeaway I have from the whole episode is how differently the players handled it.  there seems to be universal agreement that some handle the suspension better than others.  

I don't disagree.  I just couldn't resist a little stirring of the pot.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That universal agreement is also based on a small amount of, albeit legitimate, evidence.

But we have to be careful to judge on outside appearance. We don't know what the conversations are, how the interactions are that we don't see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1