IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

12 minutes ago, Inequality said:

It needs no explanation. Make the worst shooter shoot the ball. If I’m Izzo, race shoots for free all day. If he pulls a Justin Smith anomaly then so be it.

Were you saying for Race not to shoot 3s before the NW game? 

If so, I assume you had the same energy for Galloway? 

I think Race has to take the open the 3 if it's there. We don't want him shooting 5 a game or anything, but one per half doesn't hurt anything, especially if he hits one like he did over that three game stretch a couple weeks ago. 

It's very difficult to run an offense with two bigs that refuse to shoot past 10ft, so one of them has to at least attempt to keep the defense honest. 

We don't take nearly enough 3's in general, so I have no problem with really anyone taking a completely wide open on here and there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

As I re-listened, I think the main (and best) point Coach brings up is spacing can only do so much with 2 spot up shooters on the floor. This strategy will not work well when the opposition has a center bigger than TJD and doesn't need to double him, which is a majority of the teams in the B1G. We need movement. Coach states simply "when the offense moves, the defense moves" and it gives you a better chance of catching the defense out of position, but also makes them have to work. 

I know (and the AC guys get into this later) that Woody is not going to completely change up his system and there may be legit reasons for that. BUT there are obvious times when TJD is outmatched and not drawing doubles. When this happens we can't keep forcing it in and wait for something to happen. TJD is awesome, but we do need to remember he's only 6'9" and is often having to shoot over somebody that is bigger than him and hugging the right shoulder he like to turn to. We saw this against Michigan, Purdue, Northwestern, Penn St., Illinois, etc. - times when you see the offense not being able to score unless it comes off of a fast break or an offensive rebound. When this happens, can't we do something a bit differently? 

That’s where X has to come up big. When we play those big centers we have to put them into repeated ball screens and use our quickness advantage. It’s also why it’s importance that Race keep shooting; we have to have a big who can stretch the floor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

image.thumb.png.fff83ba5569ab774a9138bd700c993ea.pngOk hear me out. This is cbs mock tourney. We beat Jerome, punch Calipari for not playing us, shave Chris Beard, then beat Al Durham to go to the final four 

The only one of those that is hard to imagine is beating UK.

But on the note of Al, he is leading his team in scoring and they're obviously having a great season. Kudos to Al, the kid deserves the special season he appears to be having. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The only one of those that is hard to imagine is beating UK.

But on the note of Al, he is leading his team in scoring and they're obviously having a great season. Kudos to Al, the kid deserves the special season he appears to be having. 

Agree on Al, I was always a fan of his.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why?

Big 10 had to adjust the schedule so OSU could make up their game with Iowa.  It actually only gives them 1 day to prepare/rest for us.  

With their game against Nebraska getting postponed/moved as well they only get 1 or 2 days between their remaining games.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Just throwing this in here. I feel like as a fan base we've massively underrated the Phinisee loss. 

I've been hard on him as anybody, mainly due to his shooting struggles on wide open shots, but despite that he is very important to what this team does. 

His perimeter defense is huge, and our best and closing lineups have almost all included both XJ and Phinisee together. 

It's really been a big loss. It just got masked a bit because we didn't need him at Maryland and then the Chicago fiasco. 

Not to mention he could’ve made a big difference in slowing down the Illinois guards and their 3 point barrage in the 2nd half. Not saying he would’ve won us the game but his defense would’ve went a long way.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Not to mention he could’ve made a big difference in slowing down the Illinois guards and their 3 point barrage in the 2nd half. Not saying he would’ve won us the game but his defense would’ve went a long way.

He definitely would have made a difference helping to defend Frazier in particular. Agree, not saying we win, but that was a tight game (if I remember correctly) through 30 minutes, then Illinois started hitting some 3's. 

Phinisee is pretty key to what this team does. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

He definitely would have made a difference helping to defend Frazier in particular. Agree, not saying we win, but that was a tight game (if I remember correctly) through 30 minutes, then Illinois started hitting some 3's. 

He won the PU game for us... his D would have really changed that second half.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think we were up 46-42 with 13 minutes to go in the game

• Like 3