IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. I was saying during the Wisconsin game thread that if it was close down the stretch I would he surprised if we won because Davis would take over. 

We have nobody like Davis, Trent Frazier, Aaron Henry last year when he took over against us, etc. 

I think we kind of had one blossoming, but he transferred to UVa. Question is, who is going to fill that role next year? Geromino still seems really raw, Trey doesn't have an outside shot, how about Bates? Is there a freshman coming in that has the mental strength to take the big shots and immediately fill that role? I think that's more my concern than anything - not sure I'm seeing the guy that will be ready to fill that role next year, at least not at this point.

On 2/19/2022 at 4:25 PM, Jackson Kellogs said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0a3412870c68f6cec7696b29afaee936.jpeg Saw this on another board. Interesting. I wonder if anyone on here has been hearing things. 

I am going to take the lack of an answer as a no?  I really hope this is not the case.  Would frankly be a bad look to convince a former player to leave a pretty good job where he had been on staff for a decade and then jettison him after one year.  Furthermore, there is only one guy on that staff who has recently really been a part of a winning NCAA and Big Ten program and that is Fife.  The Woody hire looks more dumb if you run off the potential heir apparent after one year.  Neither of the other 2 guys on staff are getting this job when Woodson leaves and hiring a mid 60's coach with no NCAA experience and no transition plan seems awfully stupid to me.

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am going to take the lack of an answer as a no?  I really hope this is not the case.  Would frankly be a bad look to convince a former player to leave a pretty good job where he had been on staff for a decade and then jettison him after one year.  Furthermore, there is only one guy on that staff who has recently really been a part of a winning NCAA and Big Ten program and that is Fife.  The Woody hire looks more dumb if you run off the potential heir apparent after one year.  Neither of the other 2 guys on staff are getting this job when Woodson leaves and hiring a mid 60's coach with no NCAA experience and no transition plan seems awfully stupid to me.

I agree. However, the game optics are a bit odd. Fife is never next to Woodson. Sometimes he isn't even in or near the huddle.

34 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I agree. However, the game optics are a bit odd. Fife is never next to Woodson. Sometimes he isn't even in or near the huddle.

There’s some grumbling over on btownbanners about this as well. Saying woody only listens to certain people and none of them are his assistants. 

8 minutes ago, IUskim said:

There’s some grumbling over on btownbanners about this as well. Saying woody only listens to certain people and none of them are his assistants. 

Yeah, I just read through that thread.  If that is the case, then we are once again having locker room problems bleeding into games.  And the guys mentioned as being the true confidants are just...WTF kind of a thing.  

If Fife leaves after this year it is going to look terrible IMO.  The veneer is already starting to peel off of Woodson and if you have a former IU player that walked away from a pretty good assistant job to come here leave after a year, the questions will be there.

Everything about IU athletics has been disappointing.  We are the kings of off season delusional thinking and every year those optimistic thoughts are shown to be complete fool's gold.  I had several die hard fans in my friend circle who have given up or are on the verge of it...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, IUskim said:

The part that jumped out at me the most was that Fife barely made it through the summer because he's had so many recruiting screw-ups. After hearing that, no way do I want Fife ever coaching here. 

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The part that jumped out at me the most was that Fife barely made it through the summer because he's had so many recruiting screw-ups. After hearing that, no way do I want Fife ever coaching here. 

Lets not sensationalize it and call it "so many"... hasnt been here long enough for "so many" to have happened. 

But, what are those screw ups? 

• Like 3

It was my understanding that Fife was a top notch assistant and recruiter at MSU, a program that has clearly been the top program in the conference for over 20 years. Was this not true? If true, how has he managed to perform in such stark contrast to his days with Izzo? I think this is probably just some in the fan-base making up things and far too many others believing the rumors. This, btw, is what happens when you mix the "wild west" of the internet with a floundering basketball program.  

• Like 5

I wish I could see significant improvement, but it isn't reflected in the results. Through 16 B1G games this season, the record is 7-9, same as last year. The one notable area of improvement is defensive ppg dropping from 69.4 (full season) to 64.8 (16 games). Offense ppg is up 2. Just hasn't translated in W-L.

2020-21: 1-1 NW, 0-2 IL (one in OT), 1-0 PS, 1-0 MD, 0-1 at WI in 2OT, 1-0 NE, 0-1 PU, 0-1 MSU, 2-0 IA (IA ranked top 10 both times), 0-2 RTG, 0-1 OSU, MN 1-0

Had three double digit losses in B1G through 16 games. Two wins over ranked teams.

Played only 7 non-con games going 5-2. Wins over Providence, Stanford & Butler. Losses to TX and FSU (OT). Only played two cupcakes.

2021-22: 2-0 NE, 0-2 WI, 1-1 PS, 1-1 OSU, 1-0 MN, 0-1 IA, 1-0 MD, 1-0 PU, 0-1 MI, 0-1 IL, 0-1 NW, 0-1 MSU,

Four double-digit losses. Two wins over ranked teams.

9-1 Non-con. Wins over ND & St Johns. Loss to Syr (2OT). Played 7 cupcakes.

Both teams have had 5 game losing streaks in the B1G. 2020-21 ended with 6 with loss in BTT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUskim said:

Funny how this stuff magically always comes out during a losing streak. Where was this 4 weeks ago?

(Not directed at you, IUskim)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I think we kind of had one blossoming, but he transferred to UVa. Question is, who is going to fill that role next year? Geromino still seems really raw, Trey doesn't have an outside shot, how about Bates? Is there a freshman coming in that has the mental strength to take the big shots and immediately fill that role? I think that's more my concern than anything - not sure I'm seeing the guy that will be ready to fill that role next year, at least not at this point.

Last time I saw Franklin, he was shooting 25 percent from 3

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have seen CMW And CDF out at dinner together, many times. I say more rumors inside a crappy season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Irrelevant. No way to know what he could be doing here. The one thing we saw from him when he was here was that he could create his own shot and he even hit at least one game winner, IIRC. 

AF shot 42,5% from 3 at IU. With CMW letting them shoot he could have helped us. With that being said he quit on us all and I hope he shoots 5% the rest of his career.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Yes he has screwed up so many times CMW sends him to Finland to recruit maybe his most important future player.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The guy who shared that probably gets the best info of any supposed insiders on our boards. He had the best handle on what was going on back when we were chasing Stevens. 

What specifically has he screwed up recruiting wise?  Are there any examples?  This is the first anyone is hearing of this?

I think people put too much stock in the transfer portal. What do you get? Graduate transfers and guys that sat on the bench.  It's just as much as a toss up as getting top flight kids out of high school 

Jesus Christobol, Woody hasn't even finished his first season.  

Not saying CMW will be a great coach but go back and look at all the great coaches and legendary coaches first FEW seasons.  I know we're all hungry...

But give Woody a Forkin break. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

He didn't want to discuss it when he posted that last night. I'm kind of surprised he even put that out there. 

You talking Chris007?  

Here's the way I see this, until more info comes out.  How long did he coach and recruit for Izzo?  Then he comes over here and starts screwing up so many times in the matter of months????  huh.  And Izzo put up with that crap for years?  HUH?  No.  

The staff was left scrambling, way late to the game last summer.  If I posted over there I would tell him this sounds dumb and yes, he should have kept it to himself and even told his source how dumb that sounded.  

• Like 1