IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That link isn't working

It works on my end...may need a Facebook account?

Anyways, it is a video of Kryzewski talking to his players.  He tells them a story about Kobe Bryant and during the Olympics he tells him that he is going to get open set shots instead of having to create his own.  Kobe says that never happens but K tells him he will get them because Lebron, Carmelo, etc. are going to draw attention.

So Kobe ends up getting those shots but he doesn't hit them.  Kobe took it on himself to go and put up 1,000 extra shots each day to try and more reliably hit them.  He tells the guys that they need to love to he in the gym basically to make it.  Then he asks them what keeps them out of the gym.  Tired.

So next he tells them that as a child his mother was always there for him and that no matter what if he was needing something, she provided it.  He assumes that sometimes she was tired but she was there.  So he tells them to be as strong as their mothers (basically don't bring that tired crap in here.)

That's a winning program.  I think we sometimes have some guys who believe they reached the big time here and they get more caught up in being the rock star on campus then they do on putting in the work it takes to be big time.  Coach K has far more one and done NBA type of players on his team and he is telling them to make it, they need to he gym rats.  I hope our guys are getting that same message.  If Kobe Bryant needs to put up 1,000 shots a day to be comfortable hitting those 3's on top of whatever his scheduled practice is, what are you doing extra?  And if you are a guy who isn't doing extra on a team that needs really specific things, do you even care that much?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This next few weeks including this one I find myself looking at players thinking about if they would enter the transfer portal.  Last night watched Morehead State and they have  a 6'10 center who scored 30 last night.  Last year year he was the tournament MVP in tbe OVC.  I have no idea if he has any eligibility left but would be intriguing if he did.

Edited by IU Scott

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This next few weeks including this one I find myself looking at players thinking about if they would enter the transfer portal.  Last night watched Morehead State and they have  a 6'10 center who scored 30 last night.  Last year year he was the tournament MVP in tbe OVC.  I have no idea if he has any eligibility left but would be intriguing if he did.

Johni Broome.  I would take him in a heart beat.

9 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Many are writing off next year, if we lose TJD and Trace, but look at Iowa. They lost 2 players in Garza and Wieskamp to the NBA and they’re better this year than last. If XJ comes back and we pick up couple talented transfers to go along with our underclassmen, we may be better next year too…imagine that!

So you are saying that Dean Garrett and Keith Smart are on the way?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Many are writing off next year, if we lose TJD and Trace, but look at Iowa. They lost 2 players in Garza and Wieskamp to the NBA and they’re better this year than last. If XJ comes back and we pick up couple talented transfers to go along with our underclassmen, we may be better next year too…imagine that!

Better yet look at Wisky (barf, barf).  Some were predicting the beginning of the end for Gard and Wisky, but they tie for B1G championship. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Lowest turnover percentage for IU in the KenPom era. Best defense, or at minimum top 3 defense in the Big Ten. Both in Woodson's first year. 

I know this season seems like dejavu compared to Archie Miller's tenure. But, we've had a lot of close loses. Especially the road ones, those are games Archie's teams don't shot up for and end up losing by 15 or more. 

We honestly just need some Jimmy's and and some Joe's that can put the ball in the basket. We've competed pretty well with wings that are extremely one-dimensional and really only 1-2 (if you count Galloway though he's missed almost half the season) playmakers. 

This staff is going to have to recruit to get those players and I think some of them are already in the mix with JHS, Newton, Cupps and Gunn, but despite how some of this season seems familiar, I think there is still a high potential that the pieces are closer to being in place then people think. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Lowest turnover percentage for IU in the KenPom era. Best defense, or at minimum top 3 defense in the Big Ten. Both in Woodson's first year. 

I know this season seems like dejavu compared to Archie Miller's tenure. But, we've had a lot of close loses. Especially the road ones, those are games Archie's teams don't shot up for and end up losing by 15 or more. 

We honestly just need some Jimmy's and and some Joe's that can put the ball in the basket. We've competed pretty well with wings that are extremely one-dimensional and really only one or two (maybe count Galloway though he's missed almost half the season) playmakers. 

This staff is going to have to recruit to get those players and I think some of them are already in the mix with JHS, Newton, Cupps and Gunn, but despite how some of this season seems familiar, I think there is still a high potential that the pieces are closer to being in place then people think. 

And we are shooting 2.5% better from the line in conference play compared to last season. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We have been saying this for a long time but the play is starting to come together in several areas that it has failed before. If CMW was able to get the guys this year to buy into how important defense and ball security is there is not reason to think the new guys will have any issues. At this point like many have said it is about the talent of the guys. Get that much needed shooting because the defense will keep us in almost every game. I hate the W/L record but I do see hope and my crimson colored glasses I left at home. 

• Like 5

We had two new players on the roster who were supposed to bolster our lackluster 3-pt shooting, and those two were probably our two weakest defenders in the starting lineup.  Replace one or both with better players and it improves BOTH sides of the ball. 

Edited by Zuckerkorn
I stink at typing on touchscreens!
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

We had two new players on the roster who were supposed to bolster our lackluster 3-pt shooting, and those two were probably our two weakest defenders in the starting lineup.  Replace one or both with better players and it improves BOTH sides of the ball. 

But just because those two were your weaker defenders, doesn't mean they are weak defenders. We have three of the best 10 defensive players in the league in our starting lineup. 

We could for sure have better offensive wings and I am NOT saying we should be ok with this level of offensive play moving forward, just simply saying... they are at least adequate defensively and I actually think Kopp is an above avg defender with all things considered. 

I do agree with the overall point though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But just because those two were your weaker defenders, doesn't mean they are weak defenders. We have three of the best 10 defensive players in the league in our starting lineup. 

We could for sure have better offensive wings and I am NOT saying we should be ok with this level of offensive play moving forward, just simply saying... they are at least adequate defensively and I actually think Kopp is an above avg defender with all things considered. 

I do agree with the overall point though. 

Kopp is a frustrating case for me.  While I've been very disappointed by his inconsistent shooting, he plays hard game in and game out.  Perhaps he's maximizing his abilities, and if that's the case I can't gripe. Like all fans, I suspect my expectations were unrealistic compared to his performance last season at NU.

I had a thought the other night: is it possible to be playing your best ball as a team but still be on a losing streak?  In a way it seems like that's where we are right now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Kopp is a frustrating case for me.  While I've been very disappointed by his inconsistent shooting, he plays hard game in and game out.  Perhaps he's maximizing his abilities, and if that's the case I can't gripe. Like all fans, I suspect my expectations were unrealistic compared to his performance last season at NU.

I had a thought the other night: is it possible to be playing your best ball as a team but still be on a losing streak?  In a way it seems like that's where we are right now.

I think it is very possible and is the case. Every other team in the B1G has a go to guy. It's game time. 5 to go. Here's the ball. Go get us buckets. It's fairly easy to lockdown TJD in that position knowing that there's no one else. Which is why X tries to "play hero ball". no one else seems like they want that shot. They miss the shot before they even shoot. Lacking big moment confidence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I think it is very possible and is the case. Every other team in the B1G has a go to guy. It's game time. 5 to go. Here's the ball. Go get us buckets. It's fairly easy to lockdown TJD in that position knowing that there's no one else. Which is why X tries to "play hero ball". no one else seems like they want that shot. They miss the shot before they even shoot. Lacking big moment confidence.

Which is why Bates improvement and JHS being ready Day 1 is so important for next season. Having three guys that are confident and can make plays for themselves and others next year would be massive for the team. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Which is why Bates improvement and JHS being ready Day 1 is so important for next season. Having three guys that are confident and can make plays for themselves and others next year would be massive for the team. 

No question. Then... you should have RP and TG as the 4th and 5th guys with that capability, instead of them being the 2nd and 3rd best at that on this year's team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Wait till next year.

You thought this was a one year turn around? 

I mean, I'm not willing to give Woodson a Crean like leash, but holy cow man.. just a little understanding from you will go a long way. I assume I am wasting my time, but cmon. 

• Like 3