IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

2 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Impressive considering how awful turnovers were in November and December 

Oh.. improvement? haha 

We shot a fair amount 4% better from the FT line in conference play compared to our non conference, as well. So we improved in two major areas during the season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Curious if there was any areas we regressed in? 

Great question. Not sure. From last year? we are shooting a little worse from the 3pt line. 

It's hard to compare some of the stats because they are obviously going to look worse from Non con to conference play simply by level of competition. 

Obviously FTs are FTs. Turnovers you would have thought would go up as we entered conference play, playing against better comp. We avged 16 TOs a game in non conference and 10 TOs a game in conference play. 

• Thanks 1

No I didn't think that at all or anything close to it. I like Woody as a coach. don't agree with his choices all the time, but he is the one getting pd. our players just dont have enough talent, or mental toughness. so for the seventh year in a row. Wait till next year. I hope they prove me wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

If Race and Trayce were to come back I think Durr and Duccomb leave. (Which is fine.) Also I think IU would be an attractive destination for the transfer portal if you have Johnson TJD Race. 

XJ

Portal Guard

Galloway/Bates

Race

Trayce

Bench

Geronimo 

Bates/Galloway 

Kopp

JHS 

Woodson could have 9 solid pieces with Leal And the other 2 freshmen fighting for that 10th spot. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Would be huge to get him back!

What would be great is if we can get most of our top players, and looking at other rosters they might lose a lot.  It will all depend on who leaves early for the NBA if you ask me.  I have now seen more big ten freshman listed in mock drafts do this can effect teams like OSU, UM, MSU, Neb., 

It'd be great to have both Race and TJD back, particularly on the defensive end, and the bonus of Race stepping out and able to knock down 3s at a decent percentage now. I've been a proponent of running it back with the main core of this group. But, we would still have the same issue of not having a wing that can create and knock down key shots, so we'd still need to get someone from the portal to fill that role.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

It'd be great to have both Race and TJD back, particularly on the defensive end, and the bonus of Race stepping out and able to knock down 3s at a decent percentage now. I've been a proponent of running it back with the main core of this group. But, we would still have the same issue of not having a wing that can create and knock down key shots, so we'd still need to get someone from the portal to fill that role.

JHS and Bates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

JHS and Bates

They're going to be freshmen. Never a good idea to count on performances from new guys like that, no matter the talent level. Plenty of 5 star guys struggle their first year. We need a wing that has some experience. I do like Geronimo's game overall, but not sure he has the handle to fill that role.

Just now, AxnJxn said:

They're going to be freshmen. Never a good idea to count on performances from new guys like that, no matter the talent level. Plenty of 5 star guys struggle their first year. We need a wing that has some experience. I do like Geronimo's game overall, but not sure he has the handle to fill that role.

I think JHS starts at the 2 day 1. Bates will be a SO and a huge key for our success next season. Those two plus Galloway and RP..... and I would love to have Kopp here in a diminished role. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I think JHS starts at the 2 day 1. Bates will be a SO and a huge key for our success next season. Those two plus Galloway and RP..... and I would love to have Kopp here in a diminished role. 

Well, then you start getting to the point where you have to decide who leaves to open up those roster spots. Three freshmen coming, if you want to keep Kopp, if you get a good wing in the portal, etc. The extra covid year could cause some issues across the game, with rosters backing up a bit due to guys not leaving and whatnot. 

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, then you start getting to the point where you have to decide who leaves to open up those roster spots. Three freshmen coming, if you want to keep Kopp, if you get a good wing in the portal, etc. The extra covid year could cause some issues across the game, with rosters backing up a bit due to guys not leaving and whatnot. 

if Race and TJD come back we may not have a ton of room for adding players in the portal, but those two are better than whatever we'd get in the portal almost assuredly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

if Race and TJD come back we may not have a ton of room for adding players in the portal, but those two are better than whatever we'd get in the portal almost assuredly.

Yeah, there's no way you say no to either of those guys if they want to return. In addition to their skills on the court, they're great ambassadors for the program, lots of experience, etc. 

BUT, you still have the same issue we've been talking about on this board ad nauseum, where we don't have guys that can knock down shots, especially in big moments, and I'm not sure that is fixed with a couple of freshmen and hoping a sophomore makes a jump to that role. With respect to Kopp, he certainly came along towards the end of the year, and I think his leadership skills are highly underrated, but he's also the same guy that was mostly non-existent offensively for a significant part of the B1G season.

I guess my concern is if you run it back with this group plus the freshmen, I'm not sure you've addressed the biggest issue, unless CMW can do something to fix the mentality of this team down the stretch of games and get some of the same guys to hit open shots.