IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

21 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, then you start getting to the point where you have to decide who leaves to open up those roster spots. Three freshmen coming, if you want to keep Kopp, if you get a good wing in the portal, etc. The extra covid year could cause some issues across the game, with rosters backing up a bit due to guys not leaving and whatnot. 

I think JHS+Bates will be better than any transfer 2 we could get, that is my opinion. I'm projecting. I have an immense amount of faith in our staff's ability to develop. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yeah, there's no way you say no to either of those guys if they want to return. In addition to their skills on the court, they're great ambassadors for the program, lots of experience, etc. 

BUT, you still have the same issue we've been talking about on this board ad nauseum, where we don't have guys that can knock down shots, especially in big moments, and I'm not sure that is fixed with a couple of freshmen and hoping a sophomore makes a jump to that role. With respect to Kopp, he certainly came along towards the end of the year, and I think his leadership skills are highly underrated, but he's also the same guy that was mostly non-existent offensively for a significant part of the B1G season.

I guess my concern is if you run it back with this group plus the freshmen, I'm not sure you've addressed the biggest issue, unless CMW can do something to fix the mentality of this team down the stretch of games and get some of the same guys to hit open shots. 

I get what you’re saying and don’t disagree, but to some level that’s going to be a question mark next year No matter what heading into the season short of an All-League type guy from a P5 conference transferring in.

Kopp was a good P5 player and Stewart was a high scoring mid-major player, and neither of them has cut it for what we need on the perimeter. JHS is already a 5 star freshman coming in.

Bates HAS to develop. JHS has to be for real. Galloway getting a more consistent shot and starting healthy would be big. Rob staying healthy could be big. Maybe Leal can find a way to give us 10-15 minutes. I’d love to add another to that too if it’s a proven P5 guy, but short of that it is probably as big of a risk as what we already have. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I get what you’re saying and don’t disagree, but to some level that’s going to be a question mark next year No matter what heading into the season short of an All-League type guy from a P5 conference transferring in.

Kopp was a good P5 player and Stewart was a high scoring mid-major player, and neither of them has cut it for what we need on the perimeter. JHS is already a 5 star freshman coming in.

Bates HAS to develop. JHS has to be for real. Galloway getting a more consistent shot and starting healthy would be big. Rob staying healthy could be big. Maybe Leal can find a way to give us 10-15 minutes. I’d love to add another to that too if it’s a proven P5 guy, but short of that it is probably as big of a risk as what we already have. 

Everyone can't stay though, correct?  We have to open 3 slots for the freshman at least if i can correct?  Does that mean Durr and Duncolm?  Leal or Lander?  Someone has to leave.  Do we get rid of our back up bigs or or our PG/Wings?

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think JHS+Bates will be better than any transfer 2 we could get, that is my opinion. I'm projecting. I have an immense amount of faith in our staff's ability to develop. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Appreciate what both of you are saying here, and we'll see what the staff can do with these guys. I do think Bates has the 'it' factor and can fill that role, and I think someone like Leal could knock down those shots in certain situations, and then there is the potential of the freshmen coming in. Very good point on PS and MK seemingly being exactly what we needed this year, and that not working out, too. 

I think my biggest fear is that we're sitting here at the same time next year kicking ourselves for not fixing the problem that was staring us right in the face. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We definitely need an Alfonso Plummer caliber transfer at the guard position. 15ppg. 40% 3pts, 84% FTs. Also need to add a small forward who can shoot.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think that's JHS. 

That would be fantastic if he does. However, he's a freshman. Plummer arrived at Illinois as a career 40% 3 pt shooter in the Pac 12.

JHS is a great addition, but I've seen too many 5 star freshman struggle all over CBB. If Race and or TJD return, it would be a disservice to them to say we're rolling with JHS and Bates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That would be fantastic if he does. However, he's a freshman. Plummer arrived at Illinois as a career 40% 3 pt shooter in the Pac 12.

JHS is a great addition, but I've seen too many 5 star freshman struggle all over CBB. If Race and or TJD return, it would be a disservice to them to say we're rolling with JHS and Bates.

I dont agree.  We have seen the team with older guys. I want talent. 

A lineup of XJ, JHS, Bates, RT, and TJD looks to have the makings of a really good team.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He isn't really a volume scorer and definitely not a 3point shooter at least this year.  Is his team loaded with scorers or talent that he doesn't have to do as much?

image.thumb.png.44f95c8a77e2f751a7f5b7a35a34d677.png

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Everyone can't stay though, correct?  We have to open 3 slots for the freshman at least if i can correct?  Does that mean Durr and Duncolm?  Leal or Lander?  Someone has to leave.  Do we get rid of our back up bigs or or our PG/Wings?

Thoughts?

Yeah three people have to leave, but until we even know who wants to come back that's hard to speculate on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That lineup very well could have four guys shooting in the 30s or better from three. It may not have a sniper but plenty of guys who can beat you and can get into the middle of the zone. 

Yes. Versatility in the way they can score. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That lineup very well could have four guys shooting in the 30s or better from three. It may not have a sniper but plenty of guys who can beat you and can get into the middle of the zone. 

You have much more confidence in Race becoming a 3 point shooter, Bates making the jump, although i think he has it in him myself, a freshman who isn't a 30% shooter in highschool not only starting, but shooting above his average in his first year in college than I do.  I do agree on XJ.  I think he with more work on his mechanics, he could push that mid to high 30s.

I would much rather have race work on his free throws and that 15' jumper.  Have TJD work on a 15 footer and using that right hand more.  Bates needs to work on his defense and understand he doesn't have to shoot the ball just because he has it in his hand and learn to create an open shot or create a shot for someone else with his quickness and ability to drive, or finish at the rim.  XJ just needs to work on that shooting mechanic and play the role within his role, like he has done the last 6 or so games, really impressive there.  Galloway is probably the starter over JHS in my opinion, and he needs to work on putting the ball in the basket, from anywhere. 

I just don't feel like CWM is going to start freshman.  They might contribute but its going to be who can play the best defense.  All my opinion of course.  And i don't know much about anything, so i could very well be off my rocker here.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Thoughts?

I think Stewart will go, if Trayce and Race stay I’m guessing Durr would leave. With all the guards coming in you could lose Phinsee, Lander

• Like 1

Just now, AxnJxn said:

He's hit 9 of his last 21 from there, and he's shot it with confidence all year, even when they weren't going down.  

Sure sure.  doesnt mean it will happen.  But just my opinion.  He is not a 3 point shooter.  I wish we would stop trying to make him one.  Let him learn to hit that 15 footer or hit about 80% free throws since that is where he can make bank

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sure sure.  doesnt mean it will happen.  But just my opinion.  He is not a 3 point shooter.  I wish we would stop trying to make him one.  Let him learn to hit that 15 footer or hit about 80% free throws since that is where he can make bank

I don't really know why you're saying that. He's clearly got the green light, not just from CMW, but also from CAM last year, so seems pretty obvious he's been hitting them regularly in practice even before he started hitting them in games, and it's really valuable to have a big that can draw the defense out that far.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

But he's probably already a better 3pt shooter then he is a mid-range shooter. So, why not keep working on the thing you're already better at and is a more valuable shot?

He doesn't need to be a 40% 3pt shooter, just somewhere in the lower end of the mid-30's would be really valuable to stretch the defense.

Something like 33-34% would really valuable, especially with hopefully more dynamic backcourt and wing players that can attack and create. 

• Like 1