IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, then you start getting to the point where you have to decide who leaves to open up those roster spots. Three freshmen coming, if you want to keep Kopp, if you get a good wing in the portal, etc. The extra covid year could cause some issues across the game, with rosters backing up a bit due to guys not leaving and whatnot. 

I'm thinking Lander is the forgotten kid....  😔

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, I won’t buy into the hype on a recruit again 

It may not be right or fair but the hype on Lander and Bates is why I’m in full blown I’ll believe it when I see it mode as far as JHS being a year one difference maker. 

To be clear, I still have very high hopes for Bates. He just wasn’t the year one difference maker we had hoped for. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It may not be right or fair but the hype on Lander and Bates is why I’m in full blown I’ll believe it when I see it mode as far as JHS being a year one difference maker. 

To be clear, I still have very high hopes for Bates. He just wasn’t the year one difference maker we had hoped for. 

I think once Bates finds his comfort zone and place in the offense we will see more of his game. Being able to create off the dribble is what this team needs and I think he can bring it. Time will tell.

As for Race Thompson is now a 3pt threat that can stretch the floor as IU faces the NIT without any consistent shooters? Smh. Yeah ok. This is like the Justin Smith is a 3 conversation. It would be nice if Race could stretch the floor but at this point in his career lol I think it’s clearly not his game.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I think once Bates finds his comfort zone and place in the offense we will see more of his game. Being able to create off the dribble is what this team needs and I think he can bring it. Time will tell.

As for Race Thompson is now a 3pt threat that can stretch the floor as IU faces the NIT without any consistent shooters? Smh. Yeah ok. This is like the Justin Smith is a 3 conversation. It would be nice if Race could stretch the floor but at this point in his career lol I think it’s clearly not his game.

For Race to be a 3pt threat that stretches the floor, he doesn't need to shoot 40% from 3. 

At his position, something like 33-34% would be perfectly fine. He's shot 31.5% over the last 18 games, so it's not that much of a leap. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

For Race to be a 3pt threat that stretches the floor, he doesn't need to shoot 40% from 3. 

At his position, something like 33-34% would be perfectly fine. He's shot 31.5% over the last 18 games, so it's not that much of a leap. 

I like Race. I can’t remember pulling for another player any more than I’ve pulled for Race. He is hard nosed, tries really hard most of the time. I think his game has aged and improved well through reps and familiarity. Race can destroy the paint all he wants but no way do I see him in any way as a floor stretching shooter.

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I like Race. I can’t remember pulling for another player any more than I’ve pulled for Race. He is hard nosed, tries really hard most of the time. I think his game has aged and improved well through reps and familiarity. Race can destroy the paint all he wants but no way do I see him in any way as a floor stretching shooter.

But he’s been doing that when our offense has looked better recently. Why can’t that scale when we are already seeing it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

I think you're confusing what we're talking about. Nobody is calling him Steph Curry or even Nick Zeisloft. 

We want him to stretch the floor as a 4, not as a shooting guard or wing. They're completely different things. 

As mentioned, he's at 31.5% the last 18 games. If he can get to 33-35% (really anywhere in there) then he'd be doing his job. That isn't really that big of leap. 

Also, stretching the floor as a 4 doesn't mean he can't ever go into the paint. It doesn't want he can never post up or he can never be the screener in a PnR. 

But if he and TJD both come back, we need Race spotting up in the corner or top of the key, opposed to clogging the paint. 

Again 31% to 34% isn’t that big of a leap. 

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

I think you're confusing what we're talking about. Nobody is calling him Steph Curry or even Nick Zeisloft. 

We want him to stretch the floor as a 4, not as a shooting guard or wing. They're completely different things. 

As mentioned, he's at 31.5% the last 18 games. If he can get to 33-35% (really anywhere in there) then he'd be doing his job. That isn't really that big of leap. 

Also, stretching the floor as a 4 doesn't mean he can't ever go into the paint. It doesn't want he can never post up or he can never be the screener in a PnR. 

But if he and TJD both come back, we need Race spotting up in the corner or top of the key, opposed to clogging the paint. 

Again 31% to 34% isn’t that big of a leap. 

If we just take the last 12 games (an admittedly arbitrary period of time specifically chosen because it supports my point) he is shooting 40% on 25 attempts. That's a number opposing teams have to respect.

• Like 3

Just now, HoosierDom said:

If we just take the last 12 games (an admittedly arbitrary period of time specifically chosen because it supports my point) he is shooting 40% on 25 attempts. That's a number opposing teams have to respect.

Absolutely! The percentage is almost irrelevant to a certain point, he just need to be respected out there, which you can argue he already is. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'm thinking Lander is the forgotten kid....  😔

I think he will get his chance when he shows defense is really important to him and he takes it personally.  He has way too much quickness to let guys dribble past him the way it’s going right now.  He can’t keep the ball in front of him. 

I say this not to be critical but as a fan who still has hope for him and surely haven’t forgotten about him.  

I think he can do it and I will cheer him on. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think he will get his chance when he shows defense is really important to him and he takes it personally.  He has way too much quickness to let guys dribble past him the way it’s going right now.  He can’t keep the ball in front of him. 

I say this not to be critical but as a fan who still has hope for him and surely haven’t forgotten about him.  

I hope so.  Would love for him to figure it all out and be a major piece on this team.  I'm definitely a fan and want to see success for someone from my city and high school.  He has some skill.  He can get to the basket pretty easily, just needs to keep getting better at finishing. He has shown glimpses of court vision, making passes others on this team couldn't except maybe for XJ.  If he can get healthy, get better a keeping his man in front of him, and take better care of the ball, he can be an impact player. I wonder if it would be better for Lander's development, If XJ and Rob come back? Will it take pressure off giving him another year to learn the system, get stronger, and get adjusted to the speed of the game, setting him up to be a regular rotation player the season after next, or will he only get better with game experience?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

But he's probably already a better 3pt shooter then he is a mid-range shooter. So, why not keep working on the thing you're already better at and is a more valuable shot?

He doesn't need to be a 40% 3pt shooter, just somewhere in the lower end of the mid-30's would be really valuable to stretch the defense.

Something like 33-34% would really valuable, especially with hopefully more dynamic backcourt and wing players that can attack and create. 

I stand corrected.  

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

IMO, the major thing that has held back KL's progress and finding playing minutes is his lack of strength. I look at him in comparison to other B1G guards, heck, just compare his body to X or RP, and I still see an 18 year old high school kid. 

I do believe he has talent, and that he can make an impact on our team. He has to get stronger though to earn any chance of playing meaningful minutes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IMO, the major thing that has held back KL's progress and finding playing minutes is his lack of strength. I look at him in comparison to other B1G guards, heck, just compare his body to X or RP, and I still see an 18 year old high school kid. 

I do believe he has talent, and that he can make an impact on our team. He has to get stronger though to earn any chance of playing meaningful minutes.

Cue the Coach Marshal convo!

• Haha 1

There's a damn good argument that could be made that if TG plays against Syracuse, UW x2, @OSU, RU, and Purdue.. we win those games. Probably not all of them, I get that. 

But, look if he plays in those games and we win even three of them. 

22-9. Thats reasonable, right? Reasonable to say that's a successful first year. 

Just saying, maybe we're a little closer then some believe. One thing that shouldnt be questioned is TG is a very solid, consistent contributor... who himself has certainly had some of his own growth "stunted" by injuries. 

Can he grow into a RT type JR/SR? I think so. We missed him in those games, adds a completely different element to our team. 

Go Hoosiers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There's a damn good argument that could be made that if TG plays against Syracuse, UW x2, @OSU, RU, and Purdue.. we win those games. Probably not all of them, I get that. 

But, look if he plays in those games and we win even three of them. 

22-9. Thats reasonable, right? Reasonable to say that's a successful first year. 

Just saying, maybe we're a little closer then some believe. One thing that shouldnt be questioned is TG is a very solid, consistent contributor... who himself has certainly had some of his own growth "stunted" by injuries. 

Can he grow into a RT type JR/SR? I think so. We missed him in those games, adds a completely different element to our team. 

Go Hoosiers

I’d bet money we at least win half of those games with TG. There was also an overlap where both RP and TJ were injured and out multiple games.

Edited by southsidehoosier
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2022 at 9:54 AM, HoosierDPU95 said:

For all intents and purposes, I'm considering this season over with last night's loss. I don't consider myself apathetic, I just don't see anything meaningful happening baring some miracle(s) (beating PU on Saturday or a deep run in the BigTen tourney). I went into this season with 3 goals, show improvement (which I think we did), snap the PU streak (which we did), and make the tourney (which we most likely won't).

so I happily stand corrected here 😄

• Thanks 1

Before the season started, I was thinking a successful season would be 20 wins, a NCAA tournament birth, beating Purdue, and decent showing in the BTT.  This season was a success, especially compared to last year and we have a chance to exceed expectations by winning a game or two in NCAA tournament.  I think Woodson can get this team to another level moving forward.  

We were right there in several games, with only the Michigan and Michigan State games being blowout losses.  Every other loss, we had a chance to win.   While our 3 point shooting % has improved from last year to this year, we still only made 6 per game which was tied for last in the conference.  We were also last in the conference in FT %.  The other thing that hurt our offense was offensive rebounding.  You would think with TJD and Race getting a lot of rebounds, we would be one of the better offensive rebounding teams in the conference, but actually neither are great at getting offensive rebounds.  To put things into perspective, Penn State's Harrar grabs the same amount of available offensive rebounds (16.9%), as TJD (8.8%) and Race (8.1%) does combined.  Geronimo had the best % of our rotation players at 11.2%.  If we run it back for the most part, get Geronimo more minutes next year, and add a bigger wing that can shoot, I think we can make a significant jump next year.  Just making slight improvements in our 3pt shooting, FT shooting, and offensive rebounding, while not dropping off on defense, and we are in good shape moving forward. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

XJ's last 7 games--

18ppg 7a 4rpg 2stls 48% FG 50% 3pt 87% FT  

AT ratio is ALMOST 3 to 1 during that time. 7.1assts vs 2.6 TOs and again... a very good defender. 

Yep… I noticed I felt more confident about him shooting 3’s and free throws than any other player during the BTT. I was actually wanting X to shoot the ft at the end of the Illinois game

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

Yep… I noticed I felt more confident about him shooting 3’s and free throws than any other player during the BTT. I was actually wanting X to shoot the ft at the end of the Illinois game

Oh absolutely. His 3 day avg in the BTT--- 17ppg 7.5apg 5.5rpg 46% from 3 and 94% FT

His confidence and toughness are something this team was sorely missing the past however many years. 

• Like 3