IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Race Thompson the last 12 games--- 13ppg 8rpg 55% FG 48% from 3 (11-23) 

I'd certainly hope some have changed their minds on his shooting. 

If you’d have told me at the beginning of the season that by game 30 Xavier and Race would be our most reliable 3-point shooters, I certainly wouldn’t have expected a tournament bid.

Some really good stuff in here:

RE: TJD

“It's been a roller coaster ride for him,” Woodson said. “I've watched him. Really, as of a month ago it was so intense, you could see it in his face. I mean, if these guys would stay the hell away from social media, life might be a little bit better. …

“There's a lot of things that are at stake. And I get it. It's a part of playing this game. My whole thing to him is, ‘Hey, you can't wear it. You've got to cherish the moment and still grind and work. You can't run from it.’ And I thought he stepped up big time, man, in the Big Ten tournament. I mean he took it to another level.”

RE: XJ

“We tried to run a lot of pick-and-rolls (earlier in the season),” Woodson said, “but X wasn’t there yet. X has grown so much that it’s allowed me to play what I came here to play on offense.”

when Jackson-Davis came to him asking for a renewed emphasis on the pick-and-roll offense, heavily featuring him alongside Johnson, Woodson listened.

“We struggled with the pick-and-roll early on in the season,” Woodson said. “I just kept piecing it in here and there, here and there. And now X, he’s grown. He’s figured it out. … He knows when he’s got it, he knows when he doesn’t have it, and he knows when the lob or the pocket pass is there, the throwback.

“All of that takes time.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/03/14/indiana-basketball-trayce-jackson-davis-wyoming-ncaa-tournament-march-madness-2022-ncaa-iu-hoosiers/7034322001/

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“It's been a roller coaster ride for him,” Woodson said. “I've watched him. Really, as of a month ago it was so intense, you could see it in his face. I mean, if these guys would stay the hell away from social media, life might be a little bit better. …

While I totally get what CMW is saying here, I think some understanding of how social media plays a part in a college athlete's success would help, too. With the ability to earn NIL money now, social media, branding, "influencing", and all of that is becoming more and more a way to earn some dough, even in the less profitable sports. For example:

Trent Howell, head of marketing at SmartyStreets, said female athletes who use their social media channels to share information about the company, attend and promote company events, appear as talent in marketing materials, and wear “SmartyStreets swag” will receive payment per activity, earning up to $3,000 per semester. 

I'm guessing someone as known as TJD can make a significant amount more with similar activity. I've personally moved away from social media a great deal myself, because it definitely has a toxic side to it, but it can be profitable to college athletes if used correctly. I think the key is to figure out how to promote while ignoring the really extreme negative things that will be thrown at you at the same time. 

It's a very different world out there these days.

• Like 1

I just don't think it can be overstated what that last 11 minute comeback against MI meant for this program. Just a complete turnaround to the trajectory of the season. 

If that doesn't occur and IU loses that game by about 20, it would have been a disaster. It would have been the ninth straight loss to MI and another early exit of the BTT. 

IU would have missed the NCAAT for the sixth consecutive season and would have been sent to the NIT, that no one, including probably the players, care about. 

It would have been a dismal end to a season of missed opportunities and raised a lot of questions about whether there was any hope for improvement next season. 

Wow, what a change that run in the BTT meant. 

• Like 6