IU Basketball 2021-2022 Season Thread

btownqb

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

When is the last time an IU team won 6 game straight, home, away or a combo.  If we go 3-3 over the next 6 games i would be happy.  That means only losing to 1 unranked team.  PSU, UM are not going to just come in and roll over.  And we've won a single away game against the worst team in the conference by like 7.  They might not look good, but we always seem to get a teams best night. And Purdue and Illinois are legit talented teams.

I get being positive and i need to be more i guess when discussing IU, but i have to be somewhat a realist.  Every team in the B1G can smack you around on any given night.  And that includes what we did to OSU when they came to our house.

It’s very POSSIBLE and I’m trying to be optimistic, but I completely agree with you about the difficulty.  I got my hand smacked by the forum police for being a realist / not being completely satisfied with the Nebraska game. With that said, 3-3 in my book is mediocre/ poor, 4-2 given the home games against Purdue and Illinois I can be satisfied with. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It’s very POSSIBLE and I’m trying to be optimistic, but I completely agree with you about the difficulty.  I got my hand smacked by the forum police for being a realist / not being completely satisfied with the Nebraska game. With that said, 3-3 in my book is mediocre/ poor, 4-2 given the home games against Purdue and Illinois I can be satisfied with. 

I could see 4 and 2 on the optimistic side of things.  Lose to PU and ILL and steal the MU on the road.  But i just don't trust this team yet.  One legit home win and one weak road win doesn't really tell me anything yet

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh absolutely

Interesting take. isn't there a way to set up a poll on this board? We haven't had one in a while.  

Imo, this board values him about right. Maybe the fan base has a hole May undervalue him?  I think the guys on this board for the most part see him as a little bit one-dimensional and without consistent outside shooting to open up the floor when you really got to have a basket to go win a game it makes it very difficult for him because he's going to get doubled and triple-teamed.  But he is a beast and anybody that says he hasn't gotten better is foolish.  Sure we'd love him to be splashing 15 footers but he's doing everything a little bit better every single year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Interesting take. isn't there a way to set up a poll on this board? We haven't had one in a while.  

Imo, this board values him about right. Maybe the fan base has a hole May undervalue him?  I think the guys on this board for the most part see him as a little bit one-dimensional and without consistent outside shooting to open up the floor when you really got to have a basket to go win a game it makes it very difficult for him because he's going to get doubled and triple-teamed.  But he is a beast and anybody that says he hasn't gotten better is foolish.  Sure we'd love him to be splashing 15 footers but he's doing everything a little bit better every single year.

He is having the best individual season, statistically, that our program has had since 1995-96. 20p 9r 3b 2a 60% from the field. The fact that he doesn't shoot jump shots or his FTs overly well, imo, completely clouds some people's opinion of actually how good TJD is. As does the lack of team success since he's been here. 

We aren't .500 without. I am not sure there is another player in the country that means more to their team than he does. I am not necessarily speaking about the board. 

No one even mentioned the other day he had 23p 12r and sat out the final 8 mins lol just like it was expected. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He is having the best individual season, statistically, that our program has had since 1995-96. 20p 9r 3b 2a 60% from the field. The fact that he doesn't shoot jump shots or his FTs overly well, imo, completely clouds some people's opinion of actually how good TJD is. As does the lack of team success since he's been here. 

We aren't .500 without. I am not sure there is another player in the country that means more to their team than he does. I am not necessarily speaking about the board. 

No one even mentioned the other day he had 23p 12r and sat out the final 8 mins lol just like it was expected. 

Dead on about the lack of team success.  

At this point in the season Im confident we would be 500 but probably not on the entire season.  

May even be able to factor in that the draft boards don't love him either for some people's disregard of him.  

• Like 1

I'm blessed to work for and have played under a HOF coach and one of my favorite sayings of his is, by mid October he will tell the kids on our team, 

"Guys it's week 7/8/9... it's time you FR start playing as SO, and you SO start to be upperclassmen, you JRs need to embrace a leadership role like you're a SR.... we have to keep growing" 

And, simply put, I think I see a lot of those qualities in our basketball team, currently. I think Bates is growing up, I think TG looks every bit of a mature player, I see TJD continuously leading, same with Race, I believe JG is making leaps and bounds currently. 

Idk, jmo, I like where we're at. Tomorrow is a must win. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And, simply put, I think I see a lot of those qualities in our basketball team, currently. I think Bates is growing up, I think TG looks every bit of a mature player, I see TJD continuously leading, same with Race, I believe JG is making leaps and bounds currently. 

I agree with most of this. Bates is mature enough, I just think he tries a little too hard. If CMW can instill some patience in his game, (have his game slow down a little) I think he could be superman. TG is my favorite on the team. He's a leader by example, not by words. Race & Trace are the rocks and will continue to be for this team. Geronimo is still raw, but getting better. A little too inconsistent yet. But he's playing harder, and getting better.

And then there's Rob....if PUke was a real "coming out party" for him, and he can play with that intensity from here on out, he could be a big difference maker. (notice I didn't say "score like that").

IMO we still have a LOT of room for growth, but we certainly aren't stagnant anymore.

Love these Hoosiers !

• Like 1