Louisiana Post Game Thread

Reacher

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't like the turnovers and the offensive rebounds but very happy with how they played tonight.  I thought this was going to be a lot tougher game than it was.  Louisiana was supposed to be pretty good and is a big physical team.

I think a  lot of the sloppy play especially the last ten minutes is just human nature.  I think it is lime when you have been playing pickup ball for a couple of hours.  That last game you are tired and just stop playing and you have a lot of snow birding.  I just think when it comes that easy and the game is out of hand you just lose the intensity.

Coach Woodson in the post game comments sounded like he was unhappy with the turnovers.

The turnovers were worrisome, but I imagine they will be dealt with. I hope so anyway.

Edited by Officer Obie

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Also, Nathan Childriss leads the nation in 3 point percentage per 40...

Bet the Illini are gnashing their teeth over not getting some of that!

When he first checked in Fischer said if he shoots it, he'll make it.  Shortly after that he nailed the 3.  Something about Nostradamus lol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

It's really small but Bates' ability to create space from his man before he even puts the ball on the floor is incredible. He is a game changer on the offensive end for a team that has lacked any kind of individual creativity for 5 years now.

I also love how he’s the first person on the bench to stand up and cheer on the team giving them high fives helping them up. He is going to go down as one of my all time favorite Hoosier players even if he’s only here 2-3 years. 

The shooting has definitely improved, Woodys defensive sceme is smothering.  With players out and foul trouble the bench produced. Parker Stewart is a great addition. 

I like the balanced scoring. Takes some stress off TJD. 

PS. Pack line defense was obviously a gimmick. I see some RMK in this teams play. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The shooting has definitely improved, Woodys defensive sceme is smothering.  With players out and foul trouble the bench produced. Parker Stewart is a great addition. 

I like the balanced scored. Takes some stress off TJD. 

PS. Pack line defense was obviously a gimmick. I see some RMK in this teams play. 

It’s amazing how an NBA defensive scheme is superior to a college scheme, isn’t? 

The reality is we have better schemes on both sides of the ball than most of the country, just by virtue of having an NBA head coach. 

As Woodson continues to bring in guys who fit more of what he wants to do, we are going to see some really special basketball. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If you check Kenpom stats for eventual champs prior to the touneys starting there are quite a few who have one or more stats out of the top 25.  

Winning 6 straight games against tourney teams has the effect of raising those values 

This article is 4 years old but has data on a long list of former champs.  Kembas Uconn was the outlier.  Everyone else had adj o and d inside top 19.  

https://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-basketball/2018/2/8/16986218/villanova-basketball-what-does-kenpom-tell-us-about-past-champions

New article.  https://vendettasportsmedia.com/using-kenpom-predict-2021-22-ncaa-basketball-champion/

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Don't like the turnovers and the offensive rebounds but very happy with how they played tonight.  I thought this was going to be a lot tougher game than it was.  Louisiana was supposed to be pretty good and is a big physical team.

I think a  lot of the sloppy play especially the last ten minutes is just human nature.  I think it is lime when you have been playing pickup ball for a couple of hours.  That last game you are tired and just stop playing and you have a lot of snow birding.  I just think when it comes that easy and the game is out of hand you just lose the intensity.

Coach Woodson in the post game comments sounded like he was unhappy with the turnovers.

Offensive rebounds are important; however you have to balance 5 crashing the boards and also getting back on transition defense.  You can't always have both.  

Also, they are using the bump and jump technique which NBA and teams like MSU use.  This will take some time to master.  They wil improve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s amazing how an NBA defensive scheme is superior to a college scheme, isn’t? 

The reality is we have better schemes on both sides of the ball than most of the country, just by virtue of having an NBA head coach. 

As Woodson continues to bring in guys who fit more of what he wants to do, we are going to see some really special basketball. 

I don't watch NBA anymore, used to follow the pacers, but if this is what it looks like, whew. I might start watching the pacers again. 

The first three games this year you could see some signs. 

But tonight was total dominance on both sides of the floor. If they continue to improve watch out. And this game we were missing 3 contributers and had foul trouble and the bench stepped up. Too early to tell but the cajuns are probably not too bad of a team. 

My excitement is bottled up but hopeful.