Louisiana Post Game Thread

Reacher

26 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Offensive rebounds are important; however you have to balance 5 crashing the boards and also getting back on transition defense.  You can't always have both.  

Also, they are using the bump and jump technique which NBA and teams like MSU use.  This will take some time to master.  They wil improve.

Love all of this. Not super worried about the shortcomings we showed in this game yet. Feels like you're seeing the progress/learning happening in real time.

Edited by HooASUier
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't watch NBA anymore, used to follow the pacers, but if this is what it looks like, whew. I might start watching the pacers again. 

The first three games this year you could see some signs. 

But tonight was total dominance on both sides of the floor. If they continue to improve watch out. And this game we were missing 3 contributers and had foul trouble and the bench stepped up. Too early to tell but the cajuns are probably not too bad of a team. 

My excitement is bottled up but hopeful.  

The difference in the NBA is the players are just so good that it doesn't matter what you do on defense a lot of the time. 

But yeah, you can see signs of what this team can be. If we steadily improve over the next few months we are going to be so dangerous by the end of the year. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

The difference in the NBA is the players are just so good that it doesn't matter what you do on defense a lot of the time. 

But yeah, you can see signs of what this team can be. If we steadily improve over the next few months we are going to be so dangerous by the end of the year. 

I hope so much you are right. 

This team is looking good and feel like Coach Woodson got his dream job and is going to Crush it. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So would I

Man, my dad taught me to use the backboard. 12-15' 45 degree jumpshot.  Hit the corner and bank it in. 

I think Race has developed that mid range shot based on what I've seen so far. 

I just feel the 45 second shot clock, what I grew up with, was fine.

It allowed for better shot selection and scoring is petty much the same. Shorter shot clock equals same scoring poorer shooting. 

Edited by mrflynn03

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, but this game had a lot of both good and bad.

Good: Trayce, Lander improved a lot, our shooters showed that yes, they can shoot, the free throw shooting was better.  Can these trends continue?  I hope so, because they give me hope.  Also, the defense is pretty good.  They will need all of these improvements to overshadow the

Bad:  Yes, we won big but come on, no other team we play can possibly shoot this bad from the field and the line.  We commit way too many fouls.  Maybe some are due to the tighter defense, but good FT shooting teams are going to feast on us.  Next, we gave up 20 offensive rebounds.  Luckily the opps this time didn’t really take advantage of them, but better teams will.  Finally, the turnovers.  We had, what, 27?  How can we beat anybody decent if we continue to play like that?  The scary part is that it seems we are susceptible to frenetic, pressing defenses that make us rush and never get comfortable.  Other teams will notice.

Overall, I’m encouraged by the player growth and the shooting.  It should continue.  Also love the much improved defense.  But if we don’t take care of the ball better, box out on the defensive end, and quit fouling so much, I’m not sure the good can overcome the bad when the opposition gets tougher.  Next statement gam3 will be Syracuse, on the road.  That should tell us a lot.

Edited by IUguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Inequality said:

27 turnovers… sloppy silly mistakes that will get you beat in the B1G. Defense is nice. Especially against a team that can’t hit their own face.

Really like the different weapons on offense. The shots dropping is refreshing.

Stew had an impressive shooting night. 

My excitement level goes up when Bates is in the lineup.

Trace can score at will but wasn’t needed much tonight. He and a Race in together is a huge problem for the defense on the block.

Lander showed growth. The game tempo goes up when he’s in the game. A little sloppy at times but much improved. Good game from him.

Fun basketball to watch. 

I did not get to see the beginning of the game.  I caught the last 10 to 12 minutes or so and it seemed like a bunch of those turnovers were coming from guys I would consider as "reserves".  Definitely need to clean up the ball handling, but how many of the TO's were a reflection of who was playing?

Also, I said this in the game thread as well...but it was nice to see a coach actually doing the Bob Knight thing with this type of game.  We got the big lead and then Woodson turned the game over to the bench and said, "Show me what you got."  Crean and Miller really did not do that.  I think the Knight/Woodson approach is helpful in 2 ways:  1.  It reduces the wear and tear on your core players.  2.  For guys who are maybe lacking some confidence in a piece of their game or who are maybe struggling a bit in practice, it gives them a chance to test out some of the things that they are being taught against unfamiliar opponents.  Parker Stewart and Khristian Lander probably got nice confidence boosts out of this game.  Leal got a fes to drop, including that second chance at the set 3 pointer.

In the long run, Louisiana is not a good squad.  However, I think we squeezed quite a bit out of that game.  We could have won by 50 if we did things the Crean/Miller way, but I don't think the 50 point win would have been nearly as productive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I feel like some guys are being told to shoot the ball. Seems like Race will be able to knock down 3's at times but, and as @IU Scott and I would like, seems to have developed a mid-range jump shot. Those 12-15 footers are money. 

I have been wondering about that too.  Kind of, show me what you can do within the flow of the offense against teams we should beat prettily handily...then maybe tighten the reins a bit if they have shown they cannot hit them as we get later in the season.

I want to preface with this first. I like XJ's intensity. Something IU has been missing for several years. 

The tech he got, was unnecessary. Situational awareness. RP out, IU cruising. I dont think the other player even did anything. It looked like XJ just jerked his head back (flopped) to draw a foul.

Which brings me to... in every game XJ has, what they would have called last year, flopped. Are they not calling that this year. They made an emphasis on the jerking the head back last year and i believe gave a warning... then a tech.  

Another step in the process of getting where they want to be as a team. Some very good and some not very good, but you can see things are moving in the right direction.

We see the negatives - some poor defensive rebounding and several bad reaching fouls - but then you notice they once again smothered a team in the first half. 14 points in a half and a total 14 FGs made in the game! Not trying to make more of it than it is but that's impressive. You can say they let off the gas again in the second half but keep in mind Race and TJD each played 19 minutes in this game. CMW, with the game in hand, wanted to see what others can do with extended minutes. Still, you have to acknowledge the opponent's offensive rebounding has been an issue and they have to figure it out.

Speaking of rebounding, Durr played 16 minutes and had zero boards. That's not going to work. Let's see if that starts to come around as his knee improves. Kopp with seven rebounds is more in line with what we all hope he can do but it really doesn't seem like that is something you can count on. The biggest concern is the turnovers by the guards. That has to be cleaned up fast. Lander looked like the potential future starter we all hope he can be some day. He does turn it over and he does dribble in and out of situations that make you scratch your head but it's a learning process.  The guy that really struggled was Geronimo. I'd like to write this game off entirely. Rarely see a guy go 1 - 7 shooting, 1 - 3 FTs, 5 turnovers, add 4 fouls and clank 2 dunks and he still gets 21 minutes of playing time. My guess is this was CMWs way of letting him work on his game. But his energy is great and he is all effort.

Let's see how they do with an undersized Jackson State team. Could see a lot more of the bench players.

• Like 3

Some of you need to relax.  Yes, Louisiana got 21 offensive rebounds, but they MISSED 59 shots.  For perspective, we missed 24 shots but got 10 offensive rebounds.  Our starters turned the ball over 8 times in roughly a half of basketball.  Not great, but not necessarily alarming numbers.  I have no doubt Coach Woodson will have the guys working on these things, but last night I saw something much more akin to the IU basketball of old.  My only question is why didn't we hire Woodson after Davis left?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Some of you need to relax.  Yes, Louisiana got 21 offensive rebounds, but they MISSED 59 shots.  For perspective, we missed 24 shots but got 10 offensive rebounds.  Our starters turned the ball over 8 times in roughly a half of basketball.  Not great, but not necessarily alarming numbers.  I have no doubt Coach Woodson will have the guys working on these things, but last night I saw something much more akin to the IU basketball of old.  My only question is why didn't we hire Woodson after Davis left?

Their O rebounding numbers are definitely skewed, but we have to do a better job of boxing out. We did a lot of turning and staring once the ball went into the air last night. I noticed Geronimo in particular last night didn't do too well boxing out. He still managed to pull in 6 rebounds last night (4 offensively) but he has a few lapses on the boards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots of really good analysis here by the rest of you.  The injury for Rob may be a blessing in disguise as it gives Lander more opportunity to work on his game in meaningful minutes.  He still has plenty to work on, but as I've (and others) have said he and elsewhere, he's come a long way from last year.

...and with what I saw last night, I would not classify him as a poor defender.  He's definitely learning and growing. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and with what I saw last night, I would not classify him as a poor defender.  He's definitely learning and growing. 

Gets through screens much better (improved strength?) takes the proper angles, and doesn't get lost...I think the switching Coach Woody does with the guards is to his benefit...

His postgame comments were excellent I thought...Talks about the 27 turnovers being "unacceptable." Also says going against Rob everyday helps him a lot.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Man, my dad taught me to use the backboard. 12-15' 45 degree jumpshot.  Hit the corner and bank it in. 

I think Race has developed that mid range shot based on what I've seen so far. 

I just feel the 45 second shot clock, what I grew up with, was fine.

It allowed for better shot selection and scoring is petty much the same. Shorter shot clock equals same scoring poorer shooting. 

Scoring is down compared to the 80's and 90's

On the rebounding piece some of you are overly alarmed about...

Their offensive rebound percentage was in the mid 30s. That's good, but not nearly as jarring as 21 offensive rebounds.

When you think about the fact that Trayce, Race, and Jordan each played about 1/2 of the game and think about how bad some of those misses are, the numbers were somewhat inevitable. The only thing I am really perturbed by with regards to rebounding is Durr.

I know it's early, but so far I am unimpressed by him.  

• Like 3